2 minute read

LIBRARY HOUSES ‘GOOD READS

Pioneer Memorial Library offers a quiet haven for readers away from the bustle of Main Street. Located next to the Gillespie County Courthouse at 115 West Main Street, the library welcomes guests of all ages to read and explore thousands of items.

SERVICES

Library cards can be issued free of charge to residents of Gillespie County. Proof of residency — such as a driver’s license — is required upon application.

Children, ages six and over, can be issued a card, with a parent or legal guardian’s signature. Residents of the immediately surrounding counties (Kimble, Mason, Llano, Blanco, Kendall and Kerr) are eligible.

Visitors to the county may use the library’s resources after paying a $5 fee. Non-residents of Gillespie County — such as those applying from surrounding counties — are charged $5 per year for a family library membership.

Books may be checked out for two weeks, and if not requested by another library user, may be renewed for another two weeks.

YOUTH

Young readers can find their own exclusive area on the first floor. Picture books, stories for children and fiction and non-fiction reads for older kids are featured.

Although many regular events are not being held due to the coronavirus pandemic, a schedule for events — such as story time — can be found at the library’s central desk.

ADULTS

Adult fiction and non-fiction books, reference materials, the Texas collection, magazines and periodicals are located on the second floor, accessible by stairs or elevator.

LIBRARY ‘FRIENDS’

In addition to being a department of the County of Gillespie, Pioneer Memorial Library is supported by the Friends of Pioneer Memorial Library.

Annual membership in the friends of Pioneer Memorial Library is open to all at a nominal cost.

Pioneer Memorial Library provides a place for researchers and sanctuary for seasoned readers and beginners, alike.

LIBRARY HISTORY

Pioneer Memorial Library is housed in a former Gillespie County Court-house, which was designed by Alfred Giles.

The historic building served as the courthouse from 1882 until 1939 when the courthouse shifted to a new building next door.

Various governmental organizations occupied the building until it was closed in 1963.

Two years later, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene McDermott of Dallas funded the preservation of the building so that it could be used as a public library. It was dedicated in May 1967.

In 1983, Mrs. McDermott provided a challenge for a matching grant so that renovations and expansion to the second floor could be accomplished. The community responded, and the renovated library was dedicated in December of 1984.

www1.youseemore.com/pioneer/

This article is from: