7 minute read

HISTORY

Next Article
REMEMBERING 9/11

REMEMBERING 9/11

Hinsdale Magazine | HistoryAfter THE FIRE

by Julie Jonlich

Chicago Water Tower and Chicago Avenue Pumping Station – 806 N. Michigan Ave.

“The flames from this time spread with such rapidity that the whole neighborhood for blocks around became a ‘sea of fire’, thus at about 3 o’clock in the morning of the 9th of October the pumping works became an utter wreck, nothing but the naked walls of the building and blackened skeletons of three engines were left to mark the spot from whence only a few hours before flowed millions of gallons of pure water for the comfort and convenience of our citizens”. – City engineer (and later mayor) DeWitt Clinton Creiger

PHOTO COURTESY CHICAGO HISTORY MUSEUM

lot has changed in 150 years since that warm, windy autumn night in a small barn behind 137

De Koven St. (now 558 W. De Koven St., and current home of the Chicago Fire Department

Quinn Fire Academy) which changed the course of Chicago’s history. Here’s a look at some of the surviving structures from the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.

Saint Ignatius College Prep Saint Ignatius College Prep 1076 W. Roosevelt Rd.

1076 W. Roosevelt Rd. Founded in 1869 by Fr. Arnold Founded in 1869 by Fr. Arnold Damen, S.J., a Dutch Jesuit Damen, S.J., a Dutch Jesuit missionary to the United States, missionary to the United States, Saint Ignatius College (now Saint Saint Ignatius College (now Saint Ignatius College Prep) is one of the Ignatius College Prep) is one of the few public structures that predates few public structures that predates the Chicago Fire of 1871. The the Chicago Fire of 1871. The school, which reopened two weeks school, which reopened two weeks after the fire, was home to displaced after the fire, was home to displaced orphans and Bishop Thomas Foley, orphans and Bishop Thomas Foley, whose residence downtown had been whose residence downtown had been destroyed. The Bishop thanked Father destroyed. The Bishop thanked Father Damen for his hospitality by donating Damen for his hospitality by donating money for a Natural History Museum money for a Natural History Museum that was expanded in 1887-1888. that was expanded in 1887-1888. Now known as the Brunswick Room, Now known as the Brunswick Room, its cabinets, galleries, and staircases its cabinets, galleries, and staircases were built by the famous billiard were built by the famous billiard company founded by Swiss immigrant company founded by Swiss immigrant John Moses Brunswick. John Moses Brunswick.

PHOTO COURTESY KADOC-KU Leuven PHOTO COURTESY KADOC-KU Leuven Archives of the Belgian Jesuits Archives of the Belgian Jesuits

Church of the Holy Family Church of the Holy Family 1080 W. Roosevelt Rd.

1080 W. Roosevelt Rd. Just a mile away from the alleged Just a mile away from the alleged starting point of the fire, shining starting point of the fire, shining brightly in the east transept of the brightly in the east transept of the church (Patrick and Catherine church (Patrick and Catherine O’Leary’s parish at the time of the O’Leary’s parish at the time of the fire), are the seven lights Father fire), are the seven lights Father Damen vowed would burn forever, if Damen vowed would burn forever, if the church was spared from the fire. the church was spared from the fire. Praying throughout the night, while Praying throughout the night, while away in Brooklyn, NY preaching away in Brooklyn, NY preaching a mission at St. Patrick’s Church, a mission at St. Patrick’s Church, Damen invoked Our Lady of Damen invoked Our Lady of Perpetual Help to protect the church Perpetual Help to protect the church and its nearby structures, vowing to and its nearby structures, vowing to light 7 candles in front of her statue in light 7 candles in front of her statue in the church, should she intercede. the church, should she intercede.

Old Saint Patrick’s Catholic Church 700 W. Adams

A strong wind from the southwest kept the fire from reaching St. Patrick’s Church, located about a mile northwest of the O’Leary’s barn. Built by Irish immigrants, St. Patrick’s provided charitable services to many who survived the fire. Designed by architects Asher Carter and Augustus Bauer, the current church is made of Joliet limestone and Milwaukee brick. Dedicated on Christmas Day, 1856. Old St. Pat’s Church is the oldest public building in Chicago.

PHOTO COURTESY OLD SAINT PATRICK’S CATHOLIC CHURCH

St. Michael’s Catholic Church St. Michael’s Catholic Church 1633 N. Cleveland Ave.

1633 N. Cleveland Ave. As the fire blew north, past downtown, As the fire blew north, past downtown, parishioners of St. Michael’s Church parishioners of St. Michael’s Church in Old Town are said to have packed in Old Town are said to have packed the church’s treasures into an oxcart the church’s treasures into an oxcart and fled. Shortly after, all the parish and fled. Shortly after, all the parish buildings were destroyed, with only the buildings were destroyed, with only the walls of the church standing. Less than a walls of the church standing. Less than a week later, the church began re-building. week later, the church began re-building. Two years later, the re-constructed St. Two years later, the re-constructed St. Michael’s Church was consecrated and Michael’s Church was consecrated and dedicated, making it one of the first dedicated, making it one of the first Chicago churches to rise from the ashes. Chicago churches to rise from the ashes.

PHOTO COURTESY PHOTO COURTESY ST. MICHAELS CATHOLIC CHURCH IN OLD TOWN ST. MICHAELS CATHOLIC CHURCH IN OLD TOWN PHOTO COURTESY CHICAGO HISTORY MUSEUM PHOTO COURTESY CHICAGO HISTORY MUSEUM

Richard Bellinger cottage

Richard Bellinger cottage (private residence) 2121 N. Hudson One of the few north side homes to survive the fire. This (private residence) 2121 N. Hudson One of the few north side homes to survive the fire. This home in Chicago’s Lincoln Park home in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood belonged to Chicago neighborhood belonged to Chicago police officer Richard Bellinger. To police officer Richard Bellinger. To save the house from destruction, save the house from destruction, he allegedly put wet blankets on he allegedly put wet blankets on the roof, and then turned to his the roof, and then turned to his store of cider when the water ran store of cider when the water ran out. Assisted by his brother-in-law, out. Assisted by his brother-in-law, Bellinger also cleared the dry leaves Bellinger also cleared the dry leaves that were on the property, tore up that were on the property, tore up the nearby wooden sidewalk and the nearby wooden sidewalk and fence, and snuffed as many sparks fence, and snuffed as many sparks as he could as soon as they landed. as he could as soon as they landed.

PHOTO COURTESY DEPAUL UNIVERSITY WANDA HAROLD PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION PHOTO ERIC ALLIX ROGERS PHOTO COURTESY DEPAUL UNIVERSITY WANDA HAROLD PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION PHOTO ERIC ALLIX ROGERS

Hull House 800 S. Halsted St. Hull House

The Charles J. Hull mansion, constructed in 1856 is just a few blocks from where the fire started. Completely spared from the flames because of the wind blowing northeast. This National 800 S. Halsted St. The Charles J. Hull mansion, constructed in 1856 is just a few blocks from where the fire started. Completely spared from Historic Landmark did not take on the flames because of the wind significance until 1889, when Jane blowing northeast. This National Addams and Ellen Gates Starr began Historic Landmark did not take on using it as a settlement house. significance until 1889, when Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr began using it as a settlement house.

Fast, easy cancer screenings for the whole you. That’s Wholecare.

It’s time to schedule the cancer exam you’ve been putting off — your screening mammogram, colonoscopy, skin check, or advanced CT lung scan. AMITA Health has multiple locations, so exams are easy to schedule close to home. We use the latest technology and turn around your results quickly. And, if needed, leadingedge care is close by, including our state-of-the-art Cancer Institute in Hinsdale. Plus our unique supportive approach: Wholecare. That’s peace of mind.

844-366-0621 | AMITAhealth.org/cancerscreenings

AMITA Health Cancer Institute

CANCER INSTITUTE HINSDALE & LA GRANGE

This article is from: