et Sail for India Street
18 th Annual August Fête
Thursday, August 10, 2023
Six O’clock in the Evening
S
We help responsible owners of the finest built homes care for the place that matters most.
To learn more, contact: Charlie Kilvert Nantucket Insurance 508.901.1500
ckilvert@me.com
high value homeowners | automobile | watercraft | collections | personal excess liability | flood | fraud & cyber PURE Insurance is the marketing name used to refer to Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange (PURE), a Florida domiciled reciprocal insurer. PURE Risk Management, LLC (PRM), a for-profit entity serves as PURE’s attorney-in-fact for a fee. PRM is a subsidiary of Privilege Underwriters, Inc., a member of the Tokio Marine Group of Companies. This material is descriptive only. The precise coverage offered is subject to the terms and conditions of the policies issued. PURE membership requires an executed Subscriber’s Agreement & Power of Attorney. Allocations to Subscriber Savings Accounts are subject to the terms of this agreement and approval by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation. This agreement and additional information are available at pureinsurance. com. Trademarks are property of PRM and used with permission. ©2023 PRM. All Rights Reserved. 44 South Broadway, Suite 301, White Plains, New York 10601. PURE HNW Insurance Services, CA Lic. 0I78980.
3
4
Set Sail for India Street
Thank you for supporting Nantucket Preservation Trust’s 18th Annual August Fête on India Street.
Sense of Place Exhibition & Silent Auction
August 7–August 14
A selection of carefully curated one-of-a-kind pieces by local artists and artisans and experiences inspired by the qualities that make Nantucket unique. Visit our Sense of Place Exhibition at 11 Centre Street. Bid online via 32 Auctions, August 7–14 bit.ly/NPTAuction23
The Houses
12 India, c.1835 • 17 India, c.1800
18 India, c.1769 • 35 India, c.1786 • 45 India, c.1804
Party tent is located at 26 India Street Houses open from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Nantucket Preservation Trust is most grateful to our underwriters, sponsors, and Fête leaders.
nantucket preservation trust 11 Centre Street | P.O. Box 158, Nantucket, MA 02554 508-228-1387 | www.nantucketpreservation.org
Historic images courtesy of the Nantucket Historical Association
Graphic Design by Kathleen Hay
5
TALIA LARGE CHANDELIER IN GILD AND CLEAR SWIRLED GLASS DESIGNER: JULIE NEILL
SHOP NOW: VISUALCOMFORT.COM 21 DRYDOCK AVENUE, SUITE 120W BOSTON 617.648.4420
India Street
Much of this history draws on the work of Betsy Tyler in Off Centre: The Wesco Acre Lots, published by NPT in 2012
In Isaac Coffin’s 1799 town street list, this street was called “Pearl.” It is not known who selected the name “Pearl,” or why. The often-quoted description by Joseph Samson, from the January 1811 issue of the Port Folio, is said to have referred to Pearl Street:
“Persons of note are saluted by everybody they meet; and the popular name of captain is often bestowed on respectable people, who have never followed the sea, and perpetuated, as a credible title, like that of squire on the continent, to those who have retired from business. One quiet lane, leading into the country, is called India Row, from the number of persons of this description, who reside there, in ease, and affluence…”
An 1816 deed calls the street “India” Street, and this name continues through the 1820s. “Pearl” reappears in the early 1830s and continued throughout the first half of the twentieth century. By the 1957 Street List of Registered Voters, the name of the residential end of the street was “India.” Today, the upper, middle, and lower parts of this busy residential and commercial street are called India Street.
7
Benjamin and Ann Chase built a new brick house on the site of the old Swain House c. 1835.
12 India Street, c. 1890s
12 India Street c.1835
This is the second house to stand in this location, an earlier house was built sometime prior to 1800 and lived in by Rueben Swain and later, his son John Swain, John’s wife, Hannah, and their five children. The Swain house stood until about 1834.
Benjamin and Ann Chase built a new brick house on the site of the old Swain House c. 1835. The construction of brick houses on Main Street in the 1830s must have influenced Benjamin, although his house was smaller and less ornamented than those grand homes of whale-oil magnates (and their heirs) seen on Upper Main Street, including the Three Bricks. The recessed doorway at 12 India Street is a feature also found at 69 Main Street, the earliest brick house built on Upper Main Street.
Benjamin and Ann had four sons; only Alexander survived his father, a widower for almost forty years who lived to be ninety, and who bequeathed the house on (what was then called) Pearl Street to Alexander’s wife, Eliza C. Chase, in 1884. She sold the house the next year to Robert B. Coffin, whose family owned it for more than fifty years.
17 India Street c.1800
Timothy Horsfield, a tinplate maker, bought vacant land on India Street in 1800. At the time, there was a wetland called Micha’s Pond in the area where 17 to 23 India Street now stand. He married Amey Hussey in 1791, and they had four children by the time they purchased the property; a fifth was born soon after. In 1810, Timothy mortgaged the house on India Street to Nantucket Bank, which was not paid when he died in 1812. The bank did not find a buyer and held the property until they sold it to wealthy merchant Zenas Coffin in 1818. Coffin sold it a year later to Charles Barney, a block maker and merchant, who mortgaged it to another of Nantucket’s early banks, Phenix Bank. Barney sold the house to master mariner Stephen West in 1826.
9
West began his long career as a cabin boy about the William Rotch ship Speedwell at the age of only 12, in 1787. He sailed to the South Pacific at 15 and became a captain by age 22. West took part in successful China trade voyages on the Oneida and later commanded whaleships Dolphin, Martha, and Pacific. West’s daughter, Mary West Clasby sold 17 India Street to Samuel C. Coffin, a mariner, for $450 in 1861. Later, it was owned by Mary Lawrence Weeks, wife of mariner Barzillai Weeks. The Weeks family owned the property for 23 years.
Throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s, 17 India Street was operated as a boardinghouse, as Nantucket became an increasingly popular tourist destination. The Hospital Thrift Shop acquired the property in 1945. The shop has served as a highly successful fundraising operation for the Nantucket Cottage Hospital ever since and is the preeminent mercantile mecca for treasure hunters and thrifty shoppers on Nantucket. In 2015, the Hospital Thrift Shop was awarded funding from the Community Preservation Committee of the Town of Nantucket to preserve the building. 17 India Street is protected by a Preservation Easement held by NPT and was NPT’s 2018 Architectural Preservation Award winner.
17 India Street, 1970, Historic American Buildings Survey
10
18 India Street c.1769
The house built by Silas Paddack around 1769 is unlike any other in the Wesco Acre Lots, the name for this area of town. It is one of only nine eighteenth-century gambrel-roof houses in town. This house stands out in a neighborhood of Typical Nantucket Houses. The one-story addition on the west side of 18 India Stret is thought to have been a small shop space, and is often referred to as the “rum shop.”
Paddack was a mariner in the early whale fishery, a grand-nephew of Ichabod Paddack, who was invited by the Proprietors to come to Nantucket in 1690 to teach them the ins and outs of whaling. Silas’ grandfather, Joseph, came to the island with Ichabod and settled here. Silas married Hepsabeth Swain in 1762, and ten years later her grandfather deeded Silas the land “on which the dwelling house of him and the said Silas Paddack now stands.” The land formerly belonged to Mary Mitchell, sister of Hepsabeth’s grandfather; she died in 1768, so it is likely that the house was built shortly thereafter.
18 India Street, 1905 11
The Paddacks moved to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia in 1788, where they joined a colony of Nantucketers who were establishing a whaling town there. It was not an entirely successful venture, and the Paddacks returned to the island in 1795 after Silas died. They sold their Nantucket home in 1791 to William Barnard, whose brothers Jonathan and Libini had married two Paddack daughters. The house remained in the extended Paddack family until 1920.
The house was restored in 2006–2007 by Pen Austin, Michael Burrey, Robert Mussey, Newton Millham, and Brian Pfeiffer. Curtis Livingston, owner of the house at the time, assembled this team of preservation experts to make critical repairs to the home. The historic section’s interior work included repair of plaster walls, floors, timber framing, and the rescue of the central chimney mass, which had undergone structural damage. The goal was not to restore the house to a particular period or even to previous conditions, but rather to repair old elements and introduce new ones only as necessary. For his efforts and foresight, Curtis Livingston was awarded NPT’s Traditional Building Methods Award in 2012. Today, Curtis’s children are the thoughtful stewards of 18 India.
12
Pen Austin at work, 2007, photo courtesy of Brian Pfeiffer
35 India Street c.1786
From 1783 to 1785, George Lawrence acquired six parcels of land on the North Side of India Street, in what was known as the “Coffin Squadron.” Described variously in deeds as a block maker, mariner, and merchant, this man of many hats from Alexandria, VA married two great-greatgranddaughters of the original Tristram Coffin. (Not at the same time.) Lawrence’s first wife, Mary Coffin, died in 1763. Later, he married Judith Coffin, with whom he had four children. The house he built at 35 India Street between 1785 and 1788 is one of the earliest on the street and is a Typical Nantucket House in style. The Lawrence family left Nantucket in 1801 and returned to Virginia, after he sold every lot on the north side of Main Street, from number 15 through number 35.
13
35 India Street, 1970, Historic American Buildings Survey
In 1795, the house was purchased by Martha Swain, the widow of David Swain. Her son, Gilbert, purchased shares of the house from his brothers after Martha died in 1799. 35 India Street remained in the Swain family for 85 years.
Twentieth-century owner Frances Devens “Daisy” Parrish gained some local literary fame as the author of Poilu, Petit Chien de la Guerre, a memoir of her adventures as a nurse in France during World War I, with her heroic and faithful canine companion, Poilu. For her services, Parrish was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French government.
Over the years, 35 India Street has looked different than you see today. In the 1880s, the house had two large wraparound verandas and a balustrade along the roof. Ornate Victorian brackets embellished the structure and were later removed.
14
35 India Street with Victorian embellishments, c. 1890s
Rescom Taber and his neighbor at 43 India Street, Maltiah Nye, may have been business partners; both were carpenters who moved to the island, married local woman, and built similar houses side by side. Unlike Nye, who remained at 43 India Street for sixty years, Taber sold the house he built on 45 India Street in 1813 and bought and sold several other pieces of property on the island. On at least two of them—on Hussey Street and Bunker’s Court—he built houses before he left the island with his second wife, Nancy Bramley.
Mariner and trader William Robinson bought the house at 45 India Street in 1820. He may have been encouraged by his wife, Sally Hayden, whose sister, Hannah Hayden Nye, lived next door with her husband Maltiah at 43 India Street. After Sally died in 1841, William sold the house to his daughter, Emmaline Balch. The house changed hands a number of times: master mariner Frederick Swain mortgaged it to the Nantucket Institution for Savings in 1847, and lost possession; in 1869 the bank sold it to Lewis B. Imbert for $600. Imbert, like so many other Nantucket men, was a mariner who rose through the ranks to become a master mariner, and when the whaling industry declined became the captain of a cod-fishing schooner, owning a farm on the island as well. 45 India Street stayed in the Imbert family until 1927.
npt
15
Street c.1804
45 India
45 India Street, c. 1880s
become a member
Become a Member of the NPT
The Nantucket Preservation Trust is a nonprofit, membershipsupported organization formed in 1997 whose members are dedicated to the preservation of the island’s historic architecture.
Membership Form
Name: Email:_
Address: Summer Address: __________________________________
State, Zip________________________________________ Dates at Summer Address: _______________________ Tel: ( ) Local Tel: ( )_
□ I want to learn about NPT volunteer opportunities.
sense of place society
Sense of Place Society members receive special invitations to tours and events, and acknowledgement in NPT’s Ramblings.
Name (as you would like it to appear in print):
$10,000 _____$5,000 _____$2,500
leadership
Leadership level members receive acknowledgement in NPT’s annual publication Ramblings.
_____$2,000 _____$1,500 $500 _____$250
general membership
_____$150 _____$75
_____$35 Student Membership (valid with Student ID)
Scan to Join Online
_____ Enclosed is a check made payable to the NANTUCKET PRESERVATION TRUST
______ Charge my Visa/MC/Amex #_ Exp in the amount of $_
Name on Card
______ My employer will match this gift. Please enclose gift form.
Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
nantucket preservation trust
P.O. Box 158 • Nantucket, MA • 02554 508-228-1387
www.nantucketpreservation.org
17
Eco-Elegant interiors by award-winning Dujardin Design. Restoring rooms from the past to last a lifetime. Trudy Dujardin, ASID, LEED Accredited Professional +ID + C 508.228.1120 Nant u cket, MA. | 203.838.8100 Westport , C T. | dujardindesign.com ANTOINE BOOTZ FOR COMFORT ZONE / POINTED LEAF PRESS RESTORING classic style
2023 AUGUST FÊTE CONTRIBUTORS
With gratitude to SILVERCREST ASSET MANAGEMENT and
PURE INSURANCE & NANTUCKET INSURANCE
our corporate underwriters for this year’s August Fête.
We extend a special thank you to the following homeowners for opening their home:
Sarah Baker & Guy de Peyrelongue
Mary Casey & The Hospital Thrift Shop
Paiment & Livingston Families
Carolyn MacKenzie
Karl & Yvette Slatoff
and for providing our tent site: The Slatoff Family
Special thanks to Kathleen Hay of Kathleen Hay Designs and our auctioneer, John Shea.
19
PROVEN SPECIALISTS IN HISTORIC PRESERVATION & BESPOKE RENOVATIONS 4 SOUTH MILL ST WWW.MSWEENEYNANTUCKET.COM
With Thanks to Our Business Sponsors for their Support: Preserving the Craft
M. Sweeney Construction
Marine Home Center
Granite
ACKtivities Event Planning
Kathleen Hay Designs
Visual Comfort Inc.
Brick
Carolyn Thayer Interiors
Dujardin Designs
Gryphon Architecture, LLC
Schwartz Hannum PC
Weatherly Design, LLC
Mortar
Melanie Gowen Sense of Place
Nantucket Looms
21
134 Orange St. Nantucket, MA • marinehomecenter.com your outdoor furniture and window treatment source The Building Blocks for a Great View
2023 AUGUST FÊTE LEADERS
The following individuals provided financial support for the event at the Leadership Level (as of July 15, 2023)
$5,000 Level
Mr. and Mrs. Christian M. Hoffman
Mr. and Mrs. Amos B. Hostetter, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Greg Swart
$2,500 Level
Ms. Amanda Cross
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Friedman
Ms. Susan Zises Green
Mr. Michael A. Kovner and Mr. Jean Doyen de Montaillou
Mr. Albert S. Messina and Mr. Ken Jennings
Mr. and Mrs. Paul R. C. Sullivan
$1,000 Level
Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Atkinson
Mr. and Mrs. David S. Bailey
Mrs. Walter F. Ballinger, II
Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Bratton
Mr. and Mrs. David S.J. Brown
Mrs. William C. Buck
Mr. John B. Carroll
Ms. Susan M. Cosper and Mr. Brian Bartlett
Ms. Anne Delaney and Mr. Calvin Carver, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Bradford Dimeo
Mr. Harvey P. Eisen and Ms. Andrea Herron
Mr. and Mrs. Mark Filipski
Mr. and Mrs. Johan F. Firmenich
Mr. and Mrs. Dean Graham
Ms. Hillary C. Hedges and Mr. Jeffrey F. Rayport
Dr. Douglas Horst and Ms. Maureen Phillips
Mr. and Mrs. Daniel L. Korengold
Dr. and Mrs. Keith M. Lindgren
Ms. Katherine M. Logue and Mr. Jonathan Nyland
Mr. and Mrs. Martin McKerrow
Mr. and Mrs. Craig H. Muhlhauser
Ms. Diane Pitt and Mr. Mitch Karlin
Ms. Alison Potts and Mr. Mark T. Groenstein
Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy P. Richardson
Mr. and Mrs. George E. Roach
Mr. and Mrs. John S. Ross
Mr. and Mrs. Bruce A. Shear
Mr. and Mrs. Harris Stone
Mr. and Mrs. John Sussek, Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. David S. Wolff
$500 Level
Mr. and Mrs. Alan F. Airth
Mr. and Mrs. David Cheek
Mrs. John G. Lathrop
Ms. Anne MacLennan Perkins
Ms. Linda L. Saligman
Ms. Jane Schnitzer
Ms. Courtney A. Thorne
Additional Leadership Donations
Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Bailey Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. William P. Kupper Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. F. Brand Whitlock
23
24
AUGUST FÊTE COMMITTEE
Barbara Halsted, August Fête Co-Chair
Ann Swart, August Fête Co-Chair
Gussie Beaugrand, Auction Chair
Jon King, Volunteer Chair
Beth Davies
Trudy Dujardin
Aisling Glynn
Melanie Gowen
Susan Zises Green
SENSE OF PLACE EXHIBITION & AUCTION COMMITTEE
Gussie Beaugrand, Chair
Beth Davies • Barbara Halsted
Jon King • Ann Swart
NPT BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Executive Committee
Ken Beaugrand, Chair
David Brown, Vice Chair
Alison Potts, President
Chris Hoffman, Vice President
Anne Troutman, Vice President
Bill Moore, Treasurer
Barbara Halsted, Secretary
Directors
Melanie Gowen • Susan Zises Green • Jon King
Michael Kovner • Al Messina • Bernadette Meyer
Ann Swart • Michael Sweeney • Debra Treyz
Staff
Mary Bergman, Executive Director
Rita Carr, Deputy Director
Julie Kever, Administrative Assistant
25
A CERTIFIED WOMAN-OWNED BUSINESS 11 CHESTNUT STREET • ANDOVER, MA 01810 978.632.0900 • www.shpclaw.com Proud To Support Nantucket Preservation Trust 26 Main Street
House Histories N A N T U C K E T A Special P rog ram Offered by Nantucket Preservation Trust Every historic Nantucket house has a story. Do you know yours? Unlock the history of your home with a Nantucket Preservation Trust House History. We offer three levels of house histories: our brief history, our house genealogy and our comprehensive history. For more information, visit us online at: www.nantucketpreservation.org or contact us at 11 Centre Street, P.O. Box 158, Nantucket, MA 02554 508-228-1387
The Sanford Boat Building 2 Sanford Road, Unit #6 Nantucket, MA 02554 (508) 228-2820 www.gryphonarchitects.com Weaving Artwork Community Design * * * 55 YEARS NantucketLooms.com NantucketLoomsInteriors.com Celebrating of Traditional CRAFTSMANSHIP 51 Main Street | 508-228-1908 INQUIRIES@MELANIEGOWEN.COM 202.365.0240 WWW.MELANIEGOWEN.COM 28
30
Kathleen Hay Designs Honoring Nantucket's Exceptional Heritage 508.228.1219 info@kathleenhaydesigns.com www.kathleenhaydesigns.com
Photo by Jeffrey Allen
P.O. Box 158 • 11 Centre Street Nantucket, MA 02554 (508) 228-1387 www.nantucketpreservation.org