He's a happy camper Page 6
Volume 24, Number 9
Campaign to increase wages rolled out by Access Press staff
The 5% Campaign is on the march, kicking off with advocacy during the Minnesota State Fair and a wellattended press event in Duluth last month. Supporters hope to continue to gain momentum before the start of the 2014 Minnesota legislative session. The coalition behind the campaign wants a 5 percent increase in state funding for services people with disabilities and aging adults receive at home and in their communities. If successful, the campaign would raise the wages of about 112,000 people who provide direct services to aging adults and disabled people. Self-advocates, their family members, caregivers and 5% Campaign - p. 13
www.accesspress.org 2013 Charlie Smith award winner
Access to college is one of Appleby's many contributions
September 10, 2013 Nonprofit Org. U.S. Postage PAID Twin Cities. MN Permit No. 4766 Address Service Requested
By Access Press staff
Cal Appleby is a man of selfless action, who has helped many others overcome challenges that he himself also faced, is the winner of the 2013 Access Press Charlie Smith Award. Cal Appleby is this year’s honoree. “My life’s purpose has been to work with people who may be marginalized by the rest of society,” said Appleby. If people are willing to come forward and take part in his classes and groups, Appleby said he is willing to help them better themselves. He sees himself as a catalyst in the lives of others. For decades Appleby was part of a remarkable team that founded and shaped many programs for students with disabilities at Augsburg College in Minneapolis, at the University of Minnesota and beyond. The work of Appleby, and the late Vern Bloom and Wayne “Mo” Moldenhauer, had impacts throughout the region. The three will Cal Appleby is the 2013 Charlie Smith Award winner. Photo courtesy of Laurie Savran be recognized at the annual award banquet, set for November 1. Charlie Smith award winner - p. 10 Bloom died in 2012 and Moldenhauer died in 2003.
Connection to rail line celebrated by advocates ance provided by the Metropolitan Council from the Central Corridor Light Rail Project Contingency Budget. Cardenas and other advocates for accessibility fought for the connection, saying the elevator is imperative. They took their request to regional and local officials and lobbied state lawmakers before the federal funds and council grant were obtained “Transit investments like the Green Line are designed to better connect people to jobs and homes around the region. This project adds to the connections created by the light rail line and makes it easier for all people, particularly those with limited mobility, to access 40 blocks of downtown St. Paul via skyway from the light rail station and major bus stops,” said Metropolitan Council Chair Susan Haigh. “I’m pleased that we were able to make contingency money from the Green Line project budget available to improve access to transit services for all people. I’d like to thank our project partners for helping make this a reality including the city of St. Paul, Activist Rick Cardenas celebrates with Metropolitan Council representatives, downtown residents and St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman and Council Member Dave Thune, at right, at Advocating Change Together and the the groundbreaking. CapitolRiver Council.” The council is the Photo courtesy City of St. Paul Downtown Neighborhood District council. On August 28, one of the hottest days of the summer, ground St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman, City Council Member Dave was broken for a skyway/ground connection in downtown St. Thune, Ramsey County Commissioners Rafael Ortega and Jim Paul. Efforts for the connection to the METRO Green Line McDonough, Metropolitan Councilmembers Rich Kramer and light rail station were led by Rick Cardenas, co-director of the Jon Commers, and Cardenas were among those at the advocacy group Advocating Change Together (ACT). groundbreaking. Cardenas was one of those who got to wield a shovel at the St. Paul’s skyway system and accessible connections to and groundbreaking. “With the support of ACT and Corridors of Opfrom street level have been under scrutiny in recent years. One portunity, the elevator will make it easier for people with disproblem has been building owners and managers who wish to abilities, seniors, people pushing strollers and the general public lock up skyway access, leaving people hunting for elevator conto get to the Xcel Energy Center, Wilkins Auditorium, Ordway, nections. Access to the light rail line, which starts operations in their homes, work and everything in-between protected from the 2014, has been a huge concern. elements—even the heat!” said Cardenas. “I heard from many of my constituents—downtown residents, Financial support for the $1.7 million connection is from an employees and employers—on how important reestablishing a Rail line connection - p. 10 $800,000 federal grant received by Metro Transit and the bal-
“Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” — Mark Twain
NEWS DIGEST
Mural about disability on display. Page 13
Adaptive bowling loses a champion. Page 2
Meet the 2013 Charlie Smith Award runnersup. Page 3
Olmstead Plan details deserve more scrutiny. Page 4
New name for a longtime service provider. Page 7
Plan to attend an upcoming town hall forum, sponsored by MNCCD. Page 14
INSIDE Accessible Fun, pg 13 Events, pg 14 People & Places, pps 6-7,10 Radio Talking Book, pg 14 Regional News, pgs 8-9