Deastination Deadwood Spring 2014

Page 1


Welcome to Deadwood! Upcoming Event George S. Mickelson Trail one of the finest rail trails in the nation

The Mighty ‘Mick’ By Jaci Conrad Pearson Black Hills Pioneer DEADWOOD — When it comes to the Mickelson, all trails really do lead to Deadwood - or out of Deadwood — depending on which way you look at it. Either way you slice it, being in Deadwood means ample access to the Mickelson Trail, one of the most unique ways to enjoy the outdoor splendor of our beautiful Black Hills back yard take in breathtaking spruce and ponderosa pine forests that stretch for miles. Whether it’s hiking, biking, cross country skiing, horseback riding or just becoming part of the view and enjoying nature at its finest, you don’t want to miss the mighty Mickelson Trail. The Deadwood Trailhead, located at the edge of the Sherman Street parking lot, is the start of the 109-mile Mickelson Trail, which is perhaps one of the most beautiful biking and hiking rail to trail conversions in the country. Named in honor of the former South Dakota governor who crusaded for the trail before his death in a plane crash in 1993, the George S. Mickelson Trail runs through the heart of the Black Hills, connecting Deadwood with Edgemont, which is just over 100 miles to the south. With 15 trailheads, the Mickelson Trail was originally the Burlington Northern rail line that took trains from Edgemont to Deadwood, directly through the Black Hills. That line was abandoned in 1983. Recognizing the trail’s potential, a group of outdoor

enthusiasts called the Friends of the Mickelson Trail garnered support from then-Governor George S. Mickelson. After many years of hard work and collaboration between the US Forest Service, South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Department, the National Guard, the South Dakota Department of Transportation and the South Dakota Department of Corrections, the mighty “Mick” became the state’s first rails to trails project. The first six miles of the trail were dedicated in 1991 and the trail was fully completed in September of 1998. Since the trail was completed, it has become one of the premier rail-trails in the West, rich with boom and bust history of gold mining, and challenging for bicyclists as it cuts through rugged mountain terrain. Along the 109 miles of Mickelson Trail, one encounters more than 100 converted railroad bridges and four rock tunnels, with the trail surface comprised of primarily crushed limestone and gravel. Its gentle slopes and easy access allow people of all ages and abilities to enjoy the beauty of the Black Hills. Much of the trail passes through National Forest Land, but there are parts of the trail that pass through privately owned land, where trail use is restricted to the trail only. Facilities at or near the trail heads include: parking, toilets, picnic tables and some have small shelters. Facilities available along the trail include: benches, vault toilets and shelters. Drinking water is available seasonally. Cell phone coverage is poor to non-existent on the trail. For the most part, the grades of the trail do not

exceed 4 percent, but parts of the trail are considered strenuous. Dumont is the highest point and the 19mile stretch from Deadwood to Dumont is the longest incline. The George S. Mickelson Trail’s northern section cuts a curving course through mountains and ponderosa pine forests, over creeks and through narrow valleys near the towns of Deadwood, Lead, Rochford and Mystic. Every few miles it traverses a converted railroad bridge, some over high trestles. Just south of Mystic, a once-thriving mining town, trail users encounter a 40-foot-long tunnel that was blasted through rock and lined with beams cut to fit the curving contours that give the tunnel its keyhole appearance. While it took less than one year to build the railroad line in the early 1890s, it took more than 15 years to develop the George S. Mickelson Trail. In the summer, one can stroll, bike, hike or even run a marathon or take the trolley the entire length of the trail. In the winter, snowshoeing and snowmobiling are favorite activities. (Snowmobiling allowed only on a portion of the Deadwood to Dumont section. Otherwise, no motorized vehicles are allowed on the trail.) The trail is rated easy to moderate and is open year-round, from dawn to dusk. Fees for a Mickelson Trail Pass, available at self-service stations along the trail, authorized vendors, some state park offices and online are $3 daily or $15 for an annual pass. For more information, email: MickelsonTrail@state. sd.us or call (605) 584-3896.

This sign marks the Deadwood Trailhead for the George S. Mickelson Trail. The 109-mile trail runs from Deadwood to Edgemont, SD. Pioneer Photo/Jaci Conrad Pearson

Dear Visitors, Thank you for choosing the beautiful Black Hills as your travel destination. The Board of Directors and Staff of the Deadwood Chamber & Visitors Bureau would like to welcome everyone who has traveled to the hills for a vacation or if you’re just passing through. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in historic Deadwood. As always the Deadwood Chamber & Visitors Bureau has some great events planned April through June. Check out these great events and call Black Hills Central Reservations for great room rates as well as the best packages anywhere at 1-800-344-8826. April 10 – 12 - Forks, Corks & Kegs – Food & Wine Festival - Come to Historic Deadwood for the Forks, Corks and Kegs Food and Wine Festival. This event features city-wide tastings at various venues in town, where ticket holders will taste a variety of Brews and Wines from different parts of the United States. Special guest Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods will host his own special tastings and Taste of Home Magazine will be on hand. For more information, call (605) 578-1876! May 2 – 4 - Cinco de Mayo – Celebrate the 5th of May in style with Karaoke contests, a 3k walk and run, sidewalk sales, cash giveaways, authentic Mexican food and more. June 13 & 14 - Wild Bill Hickok Days – Enjoy the National Dock Dogs Competition, learn gold panning and sluicing from Black Hills pros, a weekend-long Wild West Auction and Show and FREE concerts on Main Street featuring some of the best regional talent anywhere and headliners Pure Prairie League and Diamond Rio. Call 800-999-1876 for information. Thank you again for choosing Deadwood as your travel destination. We hope to see you very soon. For more information on any Deadwood special event, check out our website at www.deadwood.com. Pat Roberts President Deadwood Chamber & Visitors Bureau

Destination Deadwood is published by Seaton Publishing, Inc. 315 Seaton Circle, Spearfish, SD 57783 • (605) 642-2761 ©2014 Destination Deadwood All rights reserved

Destination Deadwood

Page 2

April ~ May ~ June 2014

Destination Deadwood

Mickelson Trail Marathon June 1

It ends in Deadwood, with 26.2 miles of Black Hills beauty and often referred to as the best kept secret in marathoning. It’s the Mickelson Trail Marathon, coming up early this summer and featuring a traditional marathon, as well as a half marathon and five-person marathon relay. The Mickelson Trail Marathon also caters to kids with a 1K and fast 5K, as well as a kids marathon. For more information, or to register, visit deadwoodmickelsontrailmarathon.com.

Wild Bill Days June 13-14

Celebrate the life and times of Deadwood’s most infamous resident, Wild Bill Hickok, with a weekend full of free entertainment! With two free evening outdoor headliner concerts, featuring Diamond Rio and Pure Prairie League on the Main Street stage, that’s just one awesome aspect of Wild Bill Days. You can also check out the National Dock Dogs competition and check out the weekend-long Wild West auction, featuring items from the real Wild West. There’s something for all tastes and ages. For more information or questions please call the Deadwood Chamber at 578-1876.

92nd Annual Days of ‘76 July 22-26

ADVERTISING SALES STAFF: Sharon Mason ~ Sona O’Connell ~ Chrissy Blair ~ Kari King ~ Judy Nuber

VARIOUS PHOTOS COURTESY THE ADAMS MUSEUM

The Deadwood Business Club will host a wide variety of Cinco de Mayo activities, beginning with karaoke Cinco de Mayo style Friday at B.B. Cody’s and culminating with a menagerie of Mexican food at Saloon No. 10 on Sunday, just prior to the official Cinco de Mayo. The majority of activities will be held during a sidewalk festival Saturday with music, food, & fun events for adults & kids. Sidewalk sale, mucho dinero cash giveaway, tequila & Mexican beer tasting, tamale stand, Fiesta party with live Mexican band, food and silent auction with all proceeds for local daycare.

Firearms and Old West Auction and Show, Deadwood Mountain Grand; National Free DockDogs Competition begin and will start every 1.5 hours, Historic Main Street; Gold Panning and sluice demonstrations, Main Street; 5 p.m. Free music begins on Main Street stage; DockDogs Extreme Vertical Competition, Main Street; 7 p.m. Free music continues on the Main Street Stage with The SideHackers and headlining Diamond Rio. Saturday, June 14 Treasures, Trash & Cash city-wide rummage sale in Lead, Deadwood and Central City; Firearms and Old West Auction and Show at Deadwood Mountain Grand; Free DockDogs Big Air Competition on Main Street; 1 p.m. Free music begins on the Main Street Stage; DockDogs Big Air Finals; 8 p.m. Pure Prairie League plays on the Main Street Stage for the final free concert of the evening.

Mickelson Trail Trailheads & Map . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4&5 Schedule Of Events . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6,7,8 Lodging, Dining & Gaming Guide . . . . . . . . . . . 9 Golf Courses in the Northern Hills . . . . . . . 10,16 Black Hills National Cemetery . . . . . . . . 11,12,14 Winners In Deadwood . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 Legends of Deadwood . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18&19 Deals in the Black Hills. . . . . . . . . . . . .19 Area Attractions . . . . . . . . . . . . 20-22

GRAPHIC DESIGN STAFF: Vicki Strickland ~ Melissa Barnett ~ Jennifer Boese ~ Jess Gallagher ~ Katelyn Walton

May 2–4

Friday, June 13

CONTENTS

DESTINATION DEADWOOD STAFF: Letitia Lister - Publisher Dru Thomas - Ad Director/Project Manager

Cinco de Mayo

Schedule

Truly the “Best Rodeo. No Bull.” The Days of ‘76 Rodeo has been named the PRCA Small Outdoor Rodeo of the Year four times and was named PRCA Midsize Rodeo of the Year annually from 2004 - 2013. The Days of ‘76 has also held the title of Badlands Circuit Rodeo of the Year since 2002. The 2014 Days of ‘76 Rodeo and Parades will be held July 22-26, with free parades on Main Street Deadwood July 25 and 26. 2014 Schedule of Events July 22 10 a.m. PRCA steer roping July 23 8 a.m. Timed events slack 7 p.m. PRCA rodeo July 24 8 a.m. Timed events slack WPRA barrel racing slack following 7 p.m. PRCA rodeo July 25 1:30 p.m. Deadwood Main Street Historic Parade 7 p.m. PRCA rodeo July 26 10 a.m. Deadwood Main Street Historic Parade 1:30 p.m. PRCA rodeo 7 p.m. PRCA rodeo

Page 3

April ~ May ~ June 2014


George S. Mickelson Trail Trailheads 1. Deadwood Trailhead: Mile Post 108.8

5. Englewood Trailhead: Mile Post 98.5

Located in Deadwood near the old railroad depot on Sherman St. 3.5 miles to Kirk Trailhead

Located 6 miles west of Hwy. 385 on Brownsville Road or 1 mile east of Forest Service Rd #17. Englewood was established as Ten-Mile Ranch, a stagecoach stop in the late 1870s. The name was changed when Englewood became a railroad center with the construction of the Spearfish branch leading from there in 1893. A roundhouse, depot, water tower and small yard made Englewood a bustling railroad spot for many years. 6 miles to Dumont Trailhead

2. Kirk Trailhead: Mile Post 105.3

Located 1/2 mile south of Lead on Highway 85 and 1 1/2 miles west Kirk Power Plant was built in the 1920s to help power the Homestake Gold Mine. Coal came in by rail from Wyoming and a plume of water came from Englewood. 1.6 miles to Lead Trailhead

3. Lead Trailhead: Mile Post 103.7

Located in the city of Lead Lead, home of the Homestake Mining Company, was originally called “Washington”. The Homestake Mine produced gold since 1876, operating both an open cut and an underground mine more than 8,000 feet below the surface. 0.4 miles to Sugarloaf Trailhead

6. Dumont Trailhead: Mile Post 92.6

Located 8.7 miles north of Rochford on Forest Service Road #17 Dumont was named for an early French settler named Charles Dumont. The town was founded in 1890 as a lumber town and a shipping point for cattle. A spur of the railroad line went northwest to Hanna. In the winter, the Dumont Trailhead is a major snowmobile trailhead. Orange diamond-shaped metal markers on the trees mark the snowmobile trails. Snowmobiles are allowed on the trail only between Dumont and Deadwood during specified months of the year. 8.7 miles north of Rochford Trailhead

4. Sugarloaf Trailhead: Mile Post 103.3

Located 1 mile southwest of Lead on Hwy. 85. Old railroad ties are still in place under the gravel between Sugarloaf Trailhead and Deadwood. This trailhead is not on the main line, but is part of the fantail loop. 4.8 miles to Englewood Trailhead.

While the Mickelson Trail is comprised of 15 trailheads, the list below outlines those located in the Deadwood-Lead area.

7. Rochford Trailhead: Mile Post 82.6

Located on the east side of Rochford near the fire station. In 1878, Rochford was home to 100 log cabins, three saloons, six stores, two hotels, a drugstore, a butcher shop and a barber shop. Later a post office was built along with a school house where Annie Tallent once taught. By 1881, there were only three people living in Rochford - the miners had moved to other locations to find their gold.

UPCOMING MICKELSON TRAIL EVENTS Trolley on the Trail 1 p.m.

June 3, July 1

Deadwood Trolley Schedule Winter Hours: October 8, 2013-May 26, 2014 Sunday to Thursday 8 a.m. - Midnight Friday & Saturday 7 a.m. - 3 a.m. Summer Hours: Memorial Day to mid September Sunday to Thursday 7 a.m. - 1:30 a.m. Friday & Saturday 7 a.m. - 3 a.m. Trolleys run at regular intervals between all hotels, motels and other key points throughout Deadwood. Cost is $1.00 per ride. Hours are subject to change. The hourly trolley schedule is posted on the back of the Min Street Trolley stop signs. For more information contact:

City of Deadwood Trolley Department 605-578-2622

Destination Deadwood

Begins at Deadwood Trailhead Trolley rides allow those with physical limitations to experience the beautiful George S. Mickelson Trail. The rides are held throughout the summer and are approximately four hours long. Reservations are required, and each person reserving a space on the trolley will be required to have a handicapped parking permit. One assistant is allowed to accompany this person, if needed. The trolley has space available for up to two people who use wheelchairs. For more information, contact the Mickelson Trail office at (605) 584.3896. To sign up for Trolley on the Trail, call Neighborhood Housing at (605) 578.1401

Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon June 1

It’s 26.2 miles of Black Hills beauty and often referred to as the best kept secret in marathoning. It’s the Mickelson Trail Marathon, coming up early this summer. Featuring a traditional marathon, as well as a half marathon and five person marathon relay, the Mickelson Trail Marathon also caters to kids with a 1K and fast 5K, as well as a kids marathon. For more information, or to register, visit deadwoodmickelsontrailmarathon. com.

Page 4

April ~ May ~ June 2014

Destination Deadwood

Page 5

April ~ May ~ June 2014


 Schedule of Events 

APRIL

APRIL 5 Madhouse Madams vs Prairie Fire Roller Girls Roller Derby 7:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 avandegrift@deadwoodmountaingrand.com www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 5 Dance Workshop 10:00 am – Noon Join DHI education staff and dance enthusiast Annie Auchampach as we explore the art of dance. We’ll talk about the importance of stretching and exercise then learn some groovy dance moves. Suggested for students in grades K-6. Reservations required. Light refreshments will be served. Homestake Adams Research and Cultural Center 605-578-1657 www.deadwoodhistory.com 150 Sherman St. Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 7 Research and Making Sense of “Letters fro the Attic” Noon – 1:00 pm Join Phyllis Schrag as she addresses the issues of interpreting the translated letters; confirming the existence of persons named in the letters; confirming the faith, personal experiences, the settling of the land; and putting the letters in the context of Dakota Territory between 1878 and 1889. Reservations requested. Bring a lunch. Homestake Adams Research and Cultural Center 605-722-4800 www.deadwoodhistory.com 150 Sherman St. Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 7-26 The Colors of India: Sari Exhibit 10:00 am – 5:00 pm View and learn about the traditional female clothing from India. Matthews Opera House & Art Center 605-642-7973 www.spearfishartscenter.org 612 Main Street Spearfish, SD 57783

Destination Deadwood

APRIL 10 Preservation Thursday: Freedom Day in the Black Hills 12:00 pm Lilah Morton Pengra will give a PowerPoint presentation, “Freedom Day in the Black Hills,” in celebration of 150 years of emancipation. The program is co-sponsored by the SD Humanities Council and will feature a short history of several African Americans – Harry and Romeo Marshall, Samuel Fields, Mary Kercherval – and how they celebrated freedom. Admission by donation. Homestake Adams Research and Cultural Center 605-722-4800 www.deadwoodhistory.com 150 Sherman St. Deadwood, SD 57732

APRIL 10 Taste of Home Cooking School 3:00 – 9:00 pm Doors open at 3 pm, vendor booths available; Taste of Home Cooking School begins at 7 pm. Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 10-12 Wrong Window 7:30 pm A comedic thriller tribute to Master of Horror Alfred Hitchcock by Billy Van Zandt & Jane Milmore. Black Hills State University Woodburn hall 605-642-6171 www.bhsu.edu 1200 University Street Spearfish, SD 57783 APRIL 11 Travel Channel’s Andrew Zimmer, Bizarre Foods Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 11 Ashwin Batish Ensemble Live Concert 7:30 pm Matthews Opera House & Arts Center 605-642-7973 www.spearfishartscenter.org 612 Main Street Spearfish, SD 57783

APRIL 12 Forks, Corks and Kegs Food & Wine Festival Come to Historic Deadwood for the Forks, Corks and Kegs Food and Wine Festival. This event features city-wide tastings at various venues in town, where ticket holders will taste a variety of Brews and Wines from different parts of the United States. Come eat, drink and be merry in the footsteps of legends, and release your inner outlaw! Deadwood Chamber of Commerce 605-578-1876, 1-800-9991876 www.deadwood.com 767 Main St. Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 24 Chicaco in Concert 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 25 Country Gold Tour 5:00 pm & 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 25 The Last Cowboy Round Table Emmy Award winning filmmaker Jon Alpert and Vern Sager, the cowboy featured in the epic documentary about South Dakota ranching life, will discuss the making of the film The Last Cowboy. Tri-State Museum 605-723-1200 www.thetristatemuseum.com 415 5th Ave. Belle Fourche, SD 57717 APRIL 25-27 Bad Dates 7:30 pm – Friday & Saturday 2:00 pm – Sunday A sparkling one-woman play about the downside of dating. Matthews Opera House 605-642-7973 www.matthewsopera.com 612 Main Street Spearfish, SD 57783 APRIL 26 Patsy’s Day 10:00 am – 5:00 pm Attention dog and cat lovers!

Page 6

Share in this annual celebration honoring Patsy, the beloved terrier of William Emery Adams. Guests who make a donation of dog/cat food will receive free admission to the Historic Adams House. Tours for Patsy’s Day are hourly; the first tour leaving at 10:00 a.m. and the last tour of the day leaving at 4:00 p.m. All donations benefit the Twin City Animal Shelter. Historic Adams House 605-578-3724 www.deadwoodhistory.com 22 Van Buren Avenue Deadwood, SD 57732 APRIL 26 The Last Cowboy Round Table 10:00 am – Noon Emmy Award winning filmmaker Jon Alpert and Vern Sager, the cowboy featured in the epic documentary about South Dakota ranching life, will discuss the making of the film The Last Cowboy. The open forum will feature a discussion about the many challenges ranchers face. The documentary will be shown at the Tri-State Museum in Belle Fourche on Friday, April 25. Call for reservations. Days of ’76 Museum 605-722-4800 www.deadwoodhistory.com 18 76th Drive Deadwood, SD 57732

MAY MAY 1 Preservation Thursday: After Custer, a Book Discussion Noon The Great Sioux War of 187677 – the Custer War – triggered profound change on the northern plains. Historian Paul Hedren of Omaha will explore the transformation of Sioux Country in the decades following the end of America’s greatest Indian war. Drawn from his award-winning book, After Custer: Loss and Transformation in Sioux Country, here’s a story of the army, the Northern Pacific Railroad, the demise of the northern buffalo herd, the coming of the great Beef Bonanza, the fate of the Lakota and Northern Cheyenne people and the interconnectedness of it all. Admission by donation. Homestake Adams Research and Cultural Center 605-578-1928

www.deadwoodhistory.com 150 Sherman St. Deadwood, SD 57732 MAY 1 Writing Indian Wars and Black Hills History, a Workshop 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm Join historian Paul Hedren of Omaha for a lively look at the art and business of writing and publishing American Indian wars and Black Hills gold rush history. Using his own ten books as a case study, Hedren will offer an author’s perspective on the challenges and opportunities of researching and writing this unique history; and writing publishable manuscripts, finding publishers, understanding contracts, the publishing process and selling books once they’re in an author’s hands. Hedren will be the first to admit that he knew nothing about the business when he published his first book in 1980. Admission charged. Reservations requested. Light refreshments will be served. Homestake Adams Research and Cultural Center 605-722-4800 www.deadwoodhistory.com 150 Sherman St. Deadwood, SD 57732 MAY 2-4 Cinco De Mayo Festival Deadwood Chamber of Commerce 605-578-1876, 1-800-9991876 www.deadwood.com 767 Main St. Deadwood, SD 57732 MAY 3 Peace: Hank Harris CD Release Concert 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm Matthews Opera House & Arts Center 605-642-7973 www.spearfishartscenter.org 612 Main Street Spearfish, SD 57783 MAY 10 Weird Wonderful Worm Workshop 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Children are invited to check out a real worm farm and learn about these small, complex creatures. We’ll feed the worms, hunt for castings and learn what you need at home to build a worm farm. Suggested for students in grades K-6. Admission charged. Reservations

April ~ May ~ June 2014

 Schedule of Events 

required. Light refreshments will be served. Days of ’76 Museum www.deadwoodhistory.com 18 76th Drive Deadwood, SD 57732

MAY 11 Mother’s Day Tours In honor of Mother’s Day, the Historic Adams House and Days of ’76 Museum will offer free admission to visiting mothers. Show your mom how much you love her by sharing a tour of this beautifully restored Victorian home, and explore rare Native American artifacts in Deadwood’s newest museum. Historic Adams House 605-578-3724 22 Van Buren Avenue Days of ’76 Museum 605-578-1657 18 76th Drive www.deadwoodhistory.com Deadwood, SD 57732 MAY 14 Bellman Brown Bag: Fractual Art What is it? Noon – 1:00 pm One of The Matthew’s gallery artists, Jill Shad, will be presenting about her process in producing the beautiful digital fractal paintings currently hanging in our gallery. Matthews Opera House & Arts Center 605-642-7973 www.spearfishartscenter.org 612 Main Street Spearfish, SD 57783 MAY 15 Potato Creek Johnny Gold Nugget Display Unveiling 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm Join us for the unveiling of the permanent display of Potato Creek Johnny’s original gold nugget. Proceeds from the Ultimate Nugget Auction held in September 2013 were used to create a highly secure display case manufactured by Safe Zone Ballistics. Adams Museum 605-578-1714 www.deadwoodhistory.com 54 Sherman Street Deadwood, SD 57732 MAY 17 Super Diamond (Neal Diamond Trubite Band) 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr.

Destination Deadwood

Deadwood, SD 57732

MAY 23 Madhouse Madams vs Rushmore Rollerz Roller Derby 7:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 avandegrift@deadwoodmountaingrand.com www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 MAY 24 Judy Collins w/BH Symphony Orchestra in Concert 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 MAY 24 Stage Stop Trail – Cowby Music & Poetry Gathering 1:00 pm – 9:00 pm Historic Homestake Opera House 605-584-2067 www.leadoperahouse.org 309 W. Main Street Lead, SD 57754 MAY 30 Engelbert Humperdinck in Concert 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 MAY 31 Ron White 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732

JUNE JUNE 1 Michelson Trail Marathon Discover 26.2 miles of absolute Black Hills beauty during the annual Mickelson Trail Marathon that starts and finishes in Historic Deadwood. SATURDAY ~ May 31 8:50 am Mt. Rushmore Tour leaves from the

Lodge at Deadwood 11:30am to 1pm - Last minute Race Day Registration for 5K and 1K at the Deadwood Trailhead/Sherman Street Lot. 1:00 pm - KID’S WONDERFUL 1K ~ Deadwood Trailhead/ Sherman Street Lot 1:15 pm (buses leave) Immediately following the Kids 1K -MICKELSON FAST 5K ~ Deadwood Trailhead/Sherman Street Lot 2:30 pm Final 2K Kid’s Marathon -Mickelson Trail Deadwood Trail Head, Sherman Street Parking lot 3:00 pm - FINAL 2K KIDS MARATHON~ Deadwood Trail Head, Sherman Street Parking lot Starting at 4:00 pm: Pasta Party - The Lodge at Deadwood will be offering pasta specials. Sunday SUNDAY ~ JUNE 1st 5:15 am - 5:40 am DEADWOOD TROLLEYS FREE will pick up all runners staying at any Deadwood Hotel to take them to START LINE Bus Stop, where they board buses that will take them to their respective START LINES. 6:15 am START LINE BUSES leave from Days of 76 Rodeo Grounds Parking Lot for both the start lines. 6:15 am Start line buses leave from the Lodge at Deadwood and Deadwood Gulch Resort 8:00 am?START TIME for MARATHON, HALF MARATHON and MARATHON RELAY. 10:30 am - 3:30 pm -Free bus service from Reunion Area to Deadwood Hotels and Days of 76 Rodeo Grounds parking lot. JUNE 2-6 Exploration Camp 9:00 am – Noon This year’s theme is Blast from the Past: Changes in the Black Hills. Each day we’ll study a new topic, from rodeo clowns to Victorian style gardening. Suggested for children going into grades K – 2. Admission charged. Reservations required. Days of ’76 Museum 605-578-1657 www.deadwoodhistory.com 18 76th Drive Deadwood, SD 57732 JUNE 6 Kenny Rogers in Concert 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center

Page 7

605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 JUNE 7 National Trails Day On the Mickelson Trail Lead Area Chamber of Commerce 605-584-1100 www.leadmethere.org 160 W. Main St. Lead, SD 57754 JUNE 7 Masquerade Gala Historic Homestake Opera House 605-584-2067 www.leadoperahouse.org 309 W. Main Street Lead, SD 57754

JUNE 9-13 Camp Chief Eagle 8:00 am – 4:00 pm Students will learn the art of hoop dancing from master Lakota hoop dancer, Dallas Chief Eagle. Campers will also learn about Native American culture and do crafts and activities. Suggested for children going into grades 3 – 7. Admission charged. Reservations required. Days of ’76 Museum 605-578-1657 www.deadwoodhistory.com 18 76th Drive Deadwood, SD 57732 JUNE 10 Lead Live 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm Music, food, games for the kids, a Farmers Market and much more! It will be amazing fun for the whole family! Lead Area Chamber of Commerce 605-584-1100 www.leadmethere.org 160 W. Main St. Lead, SD 57754 JUNE 11 Bellman Brown Bag: Midsummer’s Day in Sweden Noon – 1:00 pm Celebrating Midsummer’s Day – In Sweden, the national summer holiday is Midsummer’s Day, when the sun never sets and Swedes dance around the maypole in celebration of nature at its best. In June 2013, Linda Meyer and her cousins celebrated Midsummer’s Day in Dalarna, Sweden, remembering the stories of celebration told by their grandmother who grew up in Sweden and

shared the festivals of “the old country.” This program is a slideshow of Swedish “travel guide” experiences in reality with a group of 16 cousins in Sweden. Matthews Opera House & Arts Center 605-642-7973 www.spearfishartscenter.org 612 Main Street Spearfish, SD 57783 JUNE 13-14 Wild Bill Hickok Days Celebrate the life and times of Wild Bill Hickok with a weekend full of free entertainment! Citywide Deadwood Chamber of Commerce 605-578-1876, 1-800-9991876 www.deadwood.com 767 Main St. Deadwood, SD 57732 JUNE 13-29 Seth Bullock: The Spirit of the West 11:30 am & 1:30 pm Gordy Pratt will portray frontiersman Seth Bullock daily. Pratt’s performance includes original songs and stories about Bullock that bring the history of Dakota Territory to life, as seen by one of the region’s legendary characters. Admission by donation. Adams Museum 605-722-4800 www.deadwoodhistory.com 54 Sherman Street Deadwood, SD 57732 JUNE 15 Father’s Day Tours The Historic Adams House and Days of ‘76 Museum will offer free tours to all visiting fathers on Father’s Day. Treat your dad to a guided tour of the restored 1892 Victorian mansion that features the stories of two of Deadwood’s founding families. The Days Museum commemorates the history of the award-winning Days of ‘76 Celebration and rodeo, and features a rare firearms exhibit. Historic Adams House 605-578-3724 22 Van Buren Avenue Days of ’76 Museum 605-578-1657 18 76th Drive www.deadwoodhistory.com Deadwood, SD 57732

Continued on Pg. 8

April ~ May ~ June 2014


 Schedule of Events 

JUNE 16-18 Science Camp: Botany 9:00 am – Noon Morning Session 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Afternoon Session Students will learn how to grow and care for plants. Students will also learn the science behind plants and tools for harvesting edible plants. Suggested for students going into grades K-6. Admission charged. Reservations required. Days of ’76 Museum 605-578-1657 www.deadwoodhistory.com 18 76th Drive Deadwood, SD 57732 JUNE 20 Picnic on the Lawn: Firearms and Black Hills History Noon Join Deadwood Historic Preservation Officer, Kevin Kuchenbecker and local historian, Ivan Hovland as they delve into the history of firearms in the Black Hills. Bring a lunch and enjoy the Historic Adams House lawn. Admission by donation. In case of inclem-

ent weather, the lecture will be moved to the Homestake Adams Research and Cultural Center (HARCC). Historic Adams House 605-578-3724 www.deadwoodhistory.com 22 Van Buren Avenue Deadwood, SD 57732

JUNE 23-25 Art Camp 9:00 am – Noon Morning Session 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Afternoon Session Campers will get the opportunity to experiment with several different artistic media. At the end of camp students may choose their favorite piece for the Fall Art Show. Suggested for students going into grades K-6. Admission charged. Reservations required. Homestake Adams Research and Cultural Center 605-578-1657 www.deadwoodhistory.com 150 Sherman St. Deadwood, SD 57732 JUNE 26 Northern Hills

Community Band 7:00 pm Cool off and unwind to the sounds of the Northern Hills Community Band. Admission by donation. Historic Adams House 605-578-3724 www.deadwoodhistory.com 22 Van Buren Avenue Deadwood, SD 57732

JUNE 27 Dustin Lynch in Concert 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 JUNE 27-29 Beauty & the Beast: Childrens Theater 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm Matthews Opera House & Arts Center 605-642-7973 www.spearfishartscenter.org 612 Main Street Spearfish, SD 57783

JULY

www.bellefourchechamber.org Belle Fourche SD, 57717

JULY 3-5 Gold Camp Jubilee Days Parade, Fireworks, Vendors, Games, Car Show. Lead Area Chamber of Commerce 605-584-1100 www.leadmethere.org 160 W. Main St. Lead, SD 57754

JULY 5 Mile High Show & Shine 9:00 am – 11:00 am – sign up 10:00 am – 2:00 pm – judging 4:00 pm - awards Manuel Brothers Park Lead Area Chamber of Commerce 605-584-1100 www.leadmethere.org 160 W. Main St. Lead, SD 57754

JULY 4 Big & Rich in Concert 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732 JULY 4-6 Black Hills Roundup Rodeo PRCA Rodeos, parade, concerts, a barbecue, week-long carnival, a western arts roundup, the Miss Rodeo South Dakota contest and more. Belle Fourche Chamber 605-892-2676

JULY 6 The Avett Brothers in Concert 8:00 pm Deadwood Mountain Grand Event Center 605-559-1187 www.deadwoodmountaingrand.com 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr. Deadwood, SD 57732

Thanks for visiting Deadwood and the Black Hills!

~ Hotel & Motel Lodging ~

Deadwood Mountain Grand 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr Deadwood, SD 57732 (605) 559-0386 deadwoodmountaingrand.com Deadwood’s only Boutique Hotel. The new 98-room luxury hotel is perched on a hill overlooking Historic Deadwood. Three executive king rooms along with five king suites deliver the most breathtaking views in town. Linger and enjoy the views at the creek side lobby, or enjoy an invigorating visit to the swimming pool and fitness center. You will enjoy everything from the on-site 250 car parking garage, to the worldclass concierge service. Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort & Cabins 20189 US Hwy 85 Spearfish, SD 57783 605-722-1800 877-722-1800 www.elkhornridgervresort.com Located in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota, and ideally located

Aught Six Grille (Deadwood Mountain Grand) 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr Deadwood, SD 57732 (605) 559-0386 deadwoodmountaingrand.com Have a light lunch or a moonlit dinner on the Aught 6 Grille’s deck overlooking Whitewood Creek. Or sit down inside to enjoy a quiet dinner of slow-roasted prime rib, fresh walleye or baked ziti -- accompanied by one of the nearly 60 wines on our extensive wine list. The Deadwood Grille (Located inside The Lodge at Deadwood) 100 Pine Crest Lane, Deadwood (Located on Hwy. 85 across from Tatanka) 605-571-2120 877-DWD-LODG www.DeadwoodLodge.com Recently voted Best Restaurant in the

Deadwood Mountain Grand 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr Deadwood, SD 57732 (605) 559-0386 deadwoodmountaingrand.com Get away to our Vegas-like casino play. Come visit Deadwood’s newest and most exclusive, state-of-the-art gaming locale. Our floor features more than a dozen of the latest slot games. With more than 200 machines in all to choose from and exciting table games like Blackjack, Three-Card Poker, and Texas Hold ‘Em. Table games will be open 24 hours on FridaySaturday only. Sunday-Thursday will open at 11:00 am.

Destination Deadwood

Page 8

April ~ May ~ June 2014

Destination Deadwood

minutes from historic Deadwood, legendary Sturgis, and Spearfish on Interstate 90 at Exit 17. An upscale RV Resort and Campground with 186 RV Sites, 36 Cabin Sites, Shower & Laundry Facilities, Swimming Pool, Hot tubs, Playground, Gift Shop and General Store, lighted tennis & basketball courts, horseshoe pits and an event center for groups of all sizes. Enjoy breakfast or lunch in the Lodge at the Corner Café.

the Black Hills offers 24/7 assistance to our guests and is a AAA approved vacation home rental company in South Dakota.

Executive Lodging of the Black Hills 11842 US Hwy 14A I mile east of Deadwood 605-578-3555 866-370-3555 www.executive-lodging.com The best way to stay and play in the Black Hills of South Dakota! We offer dozens of luxury fully furnished vacation homes and lodges sprinkled throughout the Black Hills. Executive Lodging of

First Gold Hotel 270 Main Street Deadwood, SD 57732 605-578-9777 800-274-1876 www.firstgold.com Over 200 deluxe hotel accommodations, 24 hour gaming halls, dining room, Banquet and meeting rooms available. Full service lounge. Onsite parking. Mineral Palace Hotel & Gaming 601 Historic Main Street Deadwood, SD 57732 1-800-847-2522 www.mineralpalace.com Located in the heart of historic Deadwood, the complex includes a grand and gracious 75-unit hotel, casino, a

~ Dining ~

first-class restaurant saloon, liquor store, gift shop and free on-site parking for our patrons. Whether you’re partaking in Deadwood’s legendary gaming halls, exploring the stunning backcountry of the Black Hills or enjoying a romantic rendezvous, our tastefully appointed guest rooms and suites offer welcome and luxurious comforts. The Lodge at Deadwood 100 Pine Crest Lane, Deadwood (Located on Hwy. 85 across from Tatanka) 605-584-4800 877-DWD-LODG www.DeadwoodLodge.com We offer 140 luxury rooms and suites and Deadwood’s largest indoor water play land. The Lodge also features Oggies Sports Bar, the casual fine-dining of the Deadwood Grille, the Deadwood Convention Center with full banquet services, a 24 hour fitness center, and a spacious Las Vegas style casino.

605-571-2120 877-DWD-LODG www.DeadwoodLodge.com Offering an extensive menu that features award winning hot wings, hand tossed pizzas, fresh salads, steaks, burgers, and signature sandwiches, Oggie’s Sport bar is a great place to meet your friends or watch your favorite sporting events.

Black Hills, the Deadwood Grille offers unique appetizers, exquisite seafood, Certified Angus Ranch House Steaks, and our Chef’s signature cuisine. The Grille also features an extensive wine selection, paired with our professional and courteous staff, to ensure you have a great dining experience. Gem Steakhouse (Mineral Palace Hotel & Gaming) 601 Historic Main Street Deadwood, SD 57732 1-800-847-2522 www.mineralpalace.com The Gem Steakhouse and Saloon offers hand-cut steaks and fine wine in a fun atmosphere. The Gem’s menu is ba sed on the real-life characters featured in the well-known Deadwood television series. Our angus ribeyes, filets and sirloins have been aged at least 21 days. Our delicious

specialties include garlic ribeye and bleu sirloin. We also serve delicious buffalo meat from animals that are hand-selected from our own South Dakota-raised herd.

Oggie's Sports Bar & Emporium (Located inside The Lodge at Deadwood) 100 Pine Crest Lane, Deadwood (Located on Hwy. 85 across from Tatanka)

Slime Plant Bar & Lounge (Deadwood Mountain Grand) 1906 Deadwood Mountain Dr Deadwood, SD 57732 (605) 559-0386 deadwoodmountaingrand.com Entertainment every night, and the menu includes tasty appetizers, salads and a nice variety of pizzas. Wash it all down with a cool Mother Lode Margarita or a couple of the ever-popular Slimeball Shots.

First Gold Hotel & Gaming 270 Main Street Deadwood, SD 57732 605-578-9777 800-274-1876 www.firstgold.com Eleven casinos featuring over 300 slot machines ranging from $0.01 to $25, Blackjack, 3-Card Poker and Mississippi Stud (5-card poker game)

Exciting times await you, featuring more than 350 slot machines! Test your skills at blackjack, 3-card poker or double-deck black jack. Mineral Palace Progressive Slots have a 95% payout! We also offer penny, nickel, quarter, dollar, five dollar and twenty-five dollar slot machines.

a spacious and comfortable Las Vegasstyle casino with free on-site parking.  The casino features over 260 slot games, 12 table games, roulette, the Rounder’s Poker Room and the Essentials Gift shop. Receive complimentary bottled beer and well drinks while playing at the tables.

The Lodge at Deadwood 100 Pine Crest Lane, Deadwood (Located on Hwy. 85 across from Tatanka) 605-571-2131 877-DWD-LODG www.DeadwoodLodge.com Opened in Dec of 2009, the Lodge offers

VFW 10 Pine Street Deadwood, SD 57732 605-722-9914 9:30am-12:00am Slots, liquor, live music monthly. Bingo every Monday at 6:45pm.

Gold Nugget Buffet (First Gold Hotel & Gaming) 270 Main Street Deadwood, SD 57732 605-578-9777 800-274-1876 www.firstgold.com 3 Buffets served every day in the Golden Nugget Buffet rooms. USDA Coice Prime Rib served nightly and on Friday & Saturday Prime Rib & Crab. Deli opens nightly.

~ Gaming ~

Mineral Palace Hotel & Gaming 601 Historic Main Street Deadwood, SD 57732 1-800-847-2522 www.mineralpalace.com

Page 9

April ~ May ~ June 2014


Black Hills National Cemetery:

Honoring our country’s servants

By Jaci Conrad Pearson Black Hills Pioneer

Golf courses

The Northern Black Hills boasts six golf courses. Pioneer File Photo

of the Northern Hills

KOA-Deadwood

1 mile west of Deadwood • GPS: 44.370926, -103.754267 P.O. Box 451, Deadwood, SD 57732

Directory

Mad Mountain Summer Adventures ATV Rentals Call for your summer adventure with us! Over 700 miles of ATV riding.

605.578.1878 • 605.578.7726 www.madmountainadventures.com

Located 6 miles south of Deadwood and Lead on Hwy 385.

1-800-562-0846

www.DeadwoodKOA.com deadwoodkoa@rushmore.com

Glass Blowing

73 Sherman St., Deadwood • 605-571-1071

Families welcome! Reservations required.

www.blacktailhorsebackandwalkingtours.com

Destination Deadwood

Camprground & rV park

• Full Hook-Up Sites • Grassed Tent Sites • Cabins • Sport Court • Showers • Laundry • City Trolley

235 Cliff St., Hwy 85 S., Deadwood, SD 57732

(800)704-7139 • (605)578-2092 WhistlerGulch@gmail.com • www.WhistlerGulch.com

Page 10

NORTHERN HILLS — The Northern Black Hills is home to six golf courses. They include both nine-hole and 18-holes courses. The courses are:

Belle Fourche Country Club

The nine-hole course stretches 3,027 yards and is a par 36. A driving range and putting green are available, along with a restaurant and bar. The course is on Highway 34, just west of that road’s intersection with Highway 85. Call the course at (605) 892-3472 for more information.

Boulder Canyon Country Club

• Demonstrations • Classes • Gifts • Full Service Coffee & Deli

Narrated western history tour on horseback.

Northern Black Hills near Deadwood 605-722-4241

• Pool, hot tub • Pet friendly • Open mid-April to mid-Oct.

Pioneer staff reports

A canyon atmosphere, not surrounded by homes, greets golfers playing Boulder Canyon Country Club. This nine-hole course measures 3,393 yards and is a par 36. It is nestled along Highway 14A between Sturgis and Deadwood. A full-service restaurant is available inside the clubhouse; breakfast is served all day. A driving range, three practice greens along with sand trap, cart rental, and club rental area also available on the site. Call the course at (605) 347-5108 for more information.

Elkhorn Ridge Country Club

Elkhorn Ridge Country Club is planning expansion from nine holes to 18. The current nine-hole, par-36 course measures 3,655 yards off the longest tees and offers views of the Centennial Valley. It is located on St. Onge Road about three miles east of Spearfish. Continued on Pg. 16 April ~ May ~ June 2014

Pioneer Photo/Mark Watson

Travelers

• Cabins, lodges, RV sites, tent sites • Free shuttle to downtown Deadwood, car rental • Free cable TV, Wi-Fi, store, laundry

STURGIS - A visually impactful, introspective way to celebrate the fallen this spring, Memorial Day season and into the summer is to pay silent respect to those who have served in the United States military by visiting the hallowed grounds, grave sites and memorials that comprise Black Hills National Cemetery. Established in 1878 and originally a military post cemetery for the Fort Meade, with its first burial occurring the same year, approximately 26,000 veterans lie at rest within the boundaries of the 106-acre Black Hills National Cemetery, nestled in the shadows of the Black Hills. Historically, the cemetery grounds and surrounding land was the site of many significant and often turbulent changes, including Lakota Sioux settlement, French exploration, western expansion, and battles between the US Army and American Indian tribes. Today, visitors may respectfully tour the grave sites and monuments, including a Korean War veteran memorial, Bivouac of the Dead, and the resting place of notable historical figures. The area around the Black Hills Cemetery is rich with history and was originally inhabited by the Lakota Indians. French explorers went through the region in the 1740s, and Spain laid claim to the area in 1762 until it was acquired by the United States in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. Fort Randall was established in 1856, and the 1861 establishment of Dakota Territory brought more settlers to the region, but it wasn’t until gold was discovered in the Black Hills that the area was truly populated. The greatest rush of European immigration came in 1874 when gold was discovered in the Black Hills. A wave of prospectors flooded the area, radically transforming the region and causing disturbances as well as creating opportunities. Legally, the Black Hills had been closed to white settlement under the Treaty of Fort Laramie. The military, however, was in no position to halt the advancing settlers. In fact, it was the military that encouraged settlements when the 7th Cavalry, under Gen. George Custer, reported the discovery of gold. See Cemetery Pg. 12

Destination Deadwood

Page 11

April ~ May ~ June 2014


Continued from Pg. 11 Under the Treaty of Fort Laramie, the United States granted the land of the Black Hills to the Lakota, but there was no stopping the settlers from entering the region, which led to several conflicts. America’s first transcontinental railroad was completed in May 1869 through the combined efforts of government and private corporations. Subsidiary rail lines such as the Dakota Southern Railroad, established in 1872, proved to be more important for bringing newcomers into the region. Between 1870 and 1890, the white population in the Dakota Territory increased six fold. The influx of settlers onto the Great Sioux Reservation culminated in a war of cultures at the Battle of Little Bighorn in June 1876. As a result of Custer’s defeat, American Indians were forced to accept a reduction in their reservation land. This cleared the way for further development by settlers, which further angered the American Indians. As a result, the Fort Meade military reservation was established in the region shortly afterwards. The last serious cultural conflict began in the fall of 1890 with the death of Sitting Bull and ended with the massacre of hundreds of American Indians at Wounded Knee. Thus,

barriers to settlement of the region eased. Most of the original interments in the cemetery were soldiers who fell in battles of the Indian Wars, but it has since been used to inter veterans from every major campaign the United States has been involved in. Located three miles southeast of Sturgis off Interstate 90 at Exit 34, the cemetery is open year-round, from sunrise to sunset. Black Hills National Cemetery grounds include a main facility building and administrative offices, general information kiosk, restroom facilities, columbarium for the placement of cremated remains, and a commital shelter overlooking a flagpole site. This cemetery has space available to accommodate casketed remains and recently opened a columbarium for placement of cremated remains. For more information, call Black Hills National Cemetery at (605) 347-3830. Cemetery office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Office closed on Federal holidays.) There is no fee to visit Black Hills National Cemetery. Fresh flowers may be placed on graves year-round. The VA’s National Cemetery Administration maintains 131 national cemeteries in 39 states (and Puerto Rico) as well as 33 soldier’s lots and monument sites.

premier Black Hills The

Destination

Resort

Golf Course

Development

VA C A T I O N • B U I L D Y O U R D R E A M H O M E • C O M M E R C I A L O P P O R T U N I T I E S Minutes from historic Deadwood, legendary Sturgis, and scenic Spearfish Canyon, Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort & Golf Club is your IDEAL DESTINATION for Family Vacations and more. HISTORIC – UNIQUE – BEAUTIFUL Our Elkhorn Ridge Event Center, the Courtyard Barns, or the Anderson Ranch make a great setting for Reunions, Weddings, Receptions, Retreats, and Corporate Events. Elkhorn Ridge Golf Club offers spectacular views of the historic Centennial Valley, complete with a championship layout and awesome Northern Black Hills backdrop. Plan to extend your stay!

www.elkhornridgervresort.com | 877-722-1800 | 20189 US Hwy 85 | Spearfish, SD 57783 Destination Deadwood

Page 12

April ~ May ~ June 2014

Destination Deadwood

Page 13

April ~ May ~ June 2014


South Dakota Notables Medal of Honor Recipient Sergeant Charles Windolph

(Indian Campaigns), Troop H, 7th Cavalry. Battle at Little BigHorn, Mont., June 25 - 26, 1876 (Section A, Grave 239 directly across from the front doors of the administration building).

South Dakota Senator Francis Higbee Case

World War I United States Marine Corps veteran, United States House of Representatives for the 75th-81st congresses, United States Senate from 1951 until his death in 1962, was transferred from a private cemetery on Dec. 3, 1981 and rests in Section F, Grave 789.

United States Army Brigadier General Richard E. Ellsworth

Commander of Rapid City Air Force Base (which was renamed Ellsworth Air Force Base in his honor). His military career began in 1929 when he joined the Pennsylvania National Guard. Two years later he was accepted to the U.S. Military Academy and then went on to pilot training in Texas. He received a master’s degree in meteorology from the California Institute of Technology. In 1943 he participated in the Pacific war offensives flying more

than 400 combat missions in the China-Burma-India Theater. Plot: Section D, Grave 10

William J. Janklow Governor of South Dakota,

US Congressman. A member of the Republican Party, he served as the state of South Dakota’s governor from 1979 until 1987 and from 1995 until 2003. His father (who served to prosecute Nazi war criminals) died while William was a child and he would be reared in South Dakota, from where his mother was a native of. High school had always been a place where he lacked discipline and as a result, he joined the US Marine Corps. Black Hills National Cemetery, Sturgis, Meade County, South Dakota, USA. Plot: Section I, Site 127

John Charles Waldron US Navy World War II

Aviator. He was born at Fort Pierre, S.D., graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1924 and became a Naval Aviator in 1927. In 1941 he was Lieutenant Commander and became Commanding Officer of Torpedo Squadron Eight (VT-8) to serve on the new aircraft carrier USS Hornet (CV-8). At the Battle of Midway on June 4, 1942, he led his squadron to be the first to locate and attack the Japanese Imperial Fleet. Plot: Section MB, Site 104

While touring the cemetery, be sure to visit the resting places of these notable individuals.

• 11 Casinos featuring all your Favorite Slots & Live Table Games • Deluxe Hotel Accommodations • FREE Wi-Fi Internet • FREE On-Site Parking in our covered parking ramp • FREE Beer, Wine & Cocktails for players • Group Packages

Destination Deadwood

3 Buffets Everyday serving

USDA Choice

Prime Rib Nightly Prime Rib & Crab Buffet on Friday & Saturday

Deli Open Nightly

Page 14

April ~ May ~ June 2014

The town formerly known as Perry By Kaija Swisher Black Hills Pioneer

Names are a fascinating thing. We are given names based on various traditions, and the meaning of a name for a parent to a child, versus the child’s understanding of that name, versus the understanding the grown child may come to during his or her lifetime, is a unique process. I have friends who had chosen a name for their yet unborn daughter, but when she arrived and they held her in their arms for the first time, both knew that no, that was not who she was. They immediately chose a different name that “suited” her. I also know people who legally changed their names when they were of age, choosing a name of their own that they felt better described who they were than their given name could, going into the remainder of their adulthood. It makes me wonder who I might be had I been given a different name with a different meaning. When I think about it, my name gives me a part of my identity, which is exactly the reason that my friends and I would choose different names when we role-played our imaginative games as children. When we needed to be bold detectives solving a crime, or glamorous divas on an international concert tour, or the leaders deciding the fate of the world (yes, our games were quite exciting), we needed to be called something else, to reflect those necessary traits, the same way an actor takes on a role. I am not saying that our names are the only piece of identity that shapes us, but it can be something that we take for granted, and the reasons for a change in name are usually very important to the person or thing in question. If we look at maps of the area, many places have undergone name changes through time, and one of these is the town formerly known as Perry. Southeast of Lead about 7 miles, the Delaney brothers found a vein of gold along Elk Creek in 1878, and it was near this spot that the town would spring up as the mining infrastructure was established. A one-stamp mill was built and extracted about $50,000 worth of gold during its year of operation. When water began to cause problems, the mine switched owners, who built a tenstamp mill, but it was sold again, and a larger sixty-stamp mill was put on the location. Known as the Uncle Sam Mine, it produced about $400,000 in gold by 1888, but the water problems continued, and the mine was shut down. In 1893, a forest fire burned the area around Perry, which affected the look of the area, in additional to destroying timber, but in 1899, the Clover Leaf Gold Mining Company acquired the mine. Pierre Wibaux was one of the stockholders, and he was notable as the owner of the State National Bank of Miles City, Mont., having been in the cattle business. Elected as president, Wibaux developed the mine to its former glory. You may be familiar with the name of the town known as Terry, also in the area, and you can see how a name like “Perry” Destination Deadwood

could be easily confused with it. To avoid mix-ups, the town chose to take a new name, and in honor of Wibaux, who had worked to build its mine back up, the town was called Roubaix, which was the name of the town in France where Wibaux was originally from. Railroad tracks were built to the town, which brought supplies to and from the area on their way to the Homestake Mine in Lead. Prior to the railroad, a route known as the Old Salt Trail allowed people to travel to and from the town by horse or wagon. The railroad brought growth to the community, and stores, boarding houses, post office, barbershop, church, school and depot were part of the town streets during its boom, and it is estimated that there was around 500 residents of Roubaix at the turn of the century. However, water was an ever-present issue in the mine, and a cave-in caused the pumps to fail in 1905, closing the mine. Without steady work, the miners and their families moved. In the 1930s, the Anaconda Gold Mining and Milling Company of Rapid City tried to reestablish the mine, but it came to naught, and for the most part, the town slowly passed away. Winnie Thomas, in a description of the town in “Some History of Lawrence County,” writes, “What now remains of the town is situated on a beautiful trout stream in the Black Hills National Forest Reserve. Its pleasant location and delightful climate make it attractive to people in the summertime. There are a few houses still occupied by people who are happy to be there and can think of bygone days and consider the possibility of Roubaix again becoming an active mining town sometime in the future.”

Miles to Deadwood BELLE FOURCHE, SD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28 CODY, WY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 421 CRAZY HORSE MOUNTAIN. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 57 CUSTER STATE PARK . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 65 DENVER, CO . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 395 DEVILS TOWER, WY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90 EDGEMONT, SD. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 112 EVAN’S PLUNGE - HOT SPRINGS, SD. . . . . . . . . . . 95 HARNEY PEAK. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60 HILL CITY, SD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 45 KEYSTONE, SD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55 MT. COOLIDGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 76 MT. RUSHMORE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60 NEWCASTLE, WY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 68 ORMAN DAM. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 PIERRE, SD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 220 RAPID CITY, SD. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42 RAPID CITY REGIONAL AIRPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 52 SHERIDAN, WY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 211 SIOUX FALLS, SD. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 395 SPEARFISH, SD. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 SPEARFISH CANYON . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 IVAN LAKE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 62 WALL DRUG . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 96 WEST GATE YELLOWSTONE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 557 WIND CAVE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 83 TERRY PEAK & SKI MYSTIC DEER MOUNTAIN SKI RESORTS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 • PLEASE NOTE MILEAGE IS ESTIMATED •

Page 15

April ~ May ~ June 2014


Winners in DeaDWooD 

Andrew • Blackjack Deadwood Mt. Grand

Northern Hills courses are both 18 & 9 holes long. Pioneer File Photo Continued from Pg. 10 Practice facilities feature the region’s only doubleended driving range. Tee areas, target greens, and a greenside practice bunker are also included. The clubhouse offers a full-service golf shop, plus food and beverage services. Call Elkhorn Ridge at (605) 722-4653 for more information.

Lead Country Club

Lead Country Club was built in 1922 and bills itself as “the highest course east of the Rockies” with an elevation of about 6,200 feet. The nine-hole, par-36 course measures 3,331 yards off the longest tees. It is located seven miles south of Lead on Highway 85 and off Rochford Road. Golf cart rentals are available on the site, which also features a driving range. A small kitchen is located inside the clubhouse. Call the course at (605) 584-1852 for more information.

Tomahawk Lake Country Club

Famed golf course designer Lawrence Hughes designed the Tomahawk Lake Country Club course in 1936. This course signaled his first independent effort. The nine-hole, par-36 course spans 3,390 yards off the longest tees. It is located seven miles south of Deadwood

off Highway 385. A bar, restaurant facilities, deck, and seating area are featured at the clubhouse. A pro shop provides merchandise, balls, and clubs. Cart storage and two private locker rooms are included. The course may be reached by calling (605) 578-2080.

Holes on area courses range from moderate to difficult. Pioneer File Photo

Donna • $7,615 Deadwood Mt. Grand

Donna • ATV Deadwood Mt. Grand

Jacke • $3,339 Deadwood Mt. Grand

Mark • Snowmobile Deadwood Mt. Grand

 Gary • $1,457 First Gold

Stephanie • $1,215 First Gold

Ruth Ann • Jeep Deadwood Mt. Grand

Joy • $2,526 The Lodge

Betty • $2,757 First Gold

Kurt • $2,306 The Lodge

Betty • $1,600 First Gold

Robert • $6,003 The Lodge

Shantel • $4,407 The Lodge

Steve • $1,534 The Lodge

Spearfish Canyon Country Club

Spearfish Canyon Country Club is the Northern Hills’ only 18-hole golf course since expansion occurred in 1988. The entrance is on the turnoff into Spearfish Canyon. The par-35 front nine measures 3,138 yards off the longest tees. A par-36 back nine measures 3,529 yards from the longest tees. Practice ranges and greens are offered, along with club fitting, lessons, and a fully stocked pro shop. The clubhouse offers a full-service bar and grill with banquet facilities. Spearfish Canyon Country Club may be reached by calling (605) 717-4655.

Destination Deadwood

Sarah • $6,252 Mineral Palace

Todd • $5,000 Mineral Palace

Tina • $4,015 Mineral Palace

Harold • $3,600 Mineral Palace

Anthony • $3,493 Mineral Palace

Congratulations! Page 16

April ~ May ~ June 2014

Destination Deadwood

Page 17

April ~ May ~ June 2014


Legends of Deadwood Hickok spilled his hand — pairs of black aces and eights — known forevermore as “Deadman’s Hand.” Quickly apprehended, McCall said he’d killed Hickok because “Wild Bill” had killed his brother. A miners’ court figured that was an acceptable defense and let him go. The drunken McCall just couldn’t keep his mouth shut about the killing. He bragged one too many times that he’d killed Hickok and was arrested, tried in Yankton and hung on March 1, 1877. According to legend, “The Deadman’s Hand” is aces (clubs & spades) and eights (clubs & spades) with the fifth card being the nine of diamonds.

Calamity Jane

Wild Bill Hickok Wild Bill Hickok: Born James Butler Hickok in Troy Grove, Illinois on May 27, 1837. He married Mrs. Agnes Thatcher on March 5, 1876 in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Wild Bill was murdered in the original Saloon No. 10 on August 2, 1876 by Jack McCall.

Quite aside from images of the Black Hills gold rush and the Sioux Indian wars, Deadwood is famed in the public’s mind as the place where “Wild Bill” Hickok was murdered while playing poker in Saloon No. 10, holding the “Deadman’s Hand” of aces, eights and the nine of diamonds. Civil War spy, scout and sharpshooter, Indian fighter, frontier lawman and showman with Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show, Hickok was part of the West’s romantic image — aided no doubt by a Harpers New Monthly Magazine article about him in those terms in 1867. The reality was more complicated, as a variety of books and Internet resources note. Hickok joined a flood of miners, shopkeepers, prostitutes, card players, bunco artists and outlaws, invading the raw and just-formed town of Deadwood in June of 1876. By all accounts, his intent in coming to Deadwood was to separate prospectors and miners from their gold — not at the point of a gun, but at the poker tables with a winning hand and two pistols at hand for any sore Destination Deadwood

losers in the bunch. Hickok was highly motivated — he was a newlywed with a wife to support. His bride, the former Mrs. Agnes Thatcher was waiting for Hickok back in Cheyenne. One of the first of the “fast guns” of the West, Hickok could shoot with a pistol in both hands. He carried his guns butt-forward in his belt — an awkward position for others, but it worked well for him. Historians debate how good he really was as a marksman, but few cared to get shot at by Hickok — calm, deliberate and unflustered when taking aim. Hickok had a couple of habits that served him well in the rowdy bars of the West. He’d pour his drinks with his left hand, leaving his best gun hand at the ready. When gambling, Hickok wanted to sit with his back to a wall, eliminating the possibility that an enemy could simply walk up to his back and blow his head off. Ironically, that’s exactly what happened on August 2, 1876, during a card game in the No. 10 Saloon. Hickok walked in and noticed a poker game was in progress, but the only empty seat at the table faced away from the saloon’s doorway. Hickok failed to persuade others at the table to trade seats with him, then decided to take the open seat. It proved to be a fatal mistake. Focused on a game in which he’d already lost several hands, Hickok never saw a loafer named Jack McCall walk up within three feet, pull a .45 out of his coat and pull the trigger. The bullet blew through Hickok’s head and out his cheek, lodging in the wrist of a gambler on the other side of the table.

Calamity Jane: Born Martha Jane Canary near Princeton, Missouri, in 1852. She was married a number of times — her last husband was Clinton Burke. Noted for dressing, most of the time, in men’s clothing and for wild behavior. Calamity Jane was also known by the early miners and settlers for a kind and generous nature. She died in Terry, an upper Hills mining camp, on August 1, 1903 and is buried, as was her request, “next to Wild Bill.” No authentic record exists that she had any intimate relationship with Bill. As many of the historical legends which creep into Americana, fiction and fact make up the story of Calamity Jane Dalton Canary Burke, known in the West simply as “Calamity Jane”. She was the lady bullwhacker whose language was so strong that brave men feared it more than her gun — which nearly always hit its mark. Several villages - Fort Laramie, Wyo.; Burlington, Iowa.; Princeton or St. Louis, Mo. ... even LaSalle, Ill., claim to be her birthplace, but no one knows for sure. It is generally accepted that Calamity Jane was the daughter of a soldier named Dalton or Canary and that she was born around1852. At age 19, Calamity Jane appeared at old Fort Bridger, frequenting the saloons, hurdy gurdy and gambling joints and scorning the ways of women. Calamity Jane joined the Jenny Expedition into the Black Hills of the western Dakota Territory in the early 1870’s, taking the place of a homesick soldier. She kept her identity a secret until one day she plunged into a stream for a swim and revealed, much to the surprise of her fellow pilgrims, that she was indeed a woman. Calamity Jane was allowed to stay with the outfit — there was nothing else to do with her — but was demoted from the ranks to driving a bull team. Calamity Jane had been a good soldier, but she was an even better bullwhacker. Her bull whip lashed out viciously to nick any animal that was “gold-bricking,” and her curses surpassed those of the most hardened and toughest bullwhackers in a rough and tough era of the American frontier. Calamity Jane came to Deadwood during the spring of 1876. The Gulch region became her permanent home for the rest of her life, although she ventured elsewhere many times. She whooped it up with the prospectors and the gamblers on nearly a nightly basis in the saloons and gambling halls of Deadwood. She

Page 18

always got what she wanted, a sack of groceries for a sick miner or a ticket home for a wayward saloon girl . . . all at the point of a gun. Her poker winnings often went to help the down-and-outers who were always found around the camp. Calamity Jane was said to be in love with Wild Bill Hickok. Maybe she was, but the romance was apparently one-sided. Wild Bill never strayed and never forgot the lovely Agnes, his bride of only a few weeks whom he had left in Cheyenne before traveling to Deadwood to seek his fortune in the gold rush. When Wild Bill was killed, Calamity Jane was said to have either captured single-handedly or, at least helped to capture his murderer, Jack McCall. Old-timers who knew this lady wildcat often said they doubted that she had much to do with the capture of McCall. They believed if she had, and if she were carrying a torch for Wild Bill, that she would not have permitted his assassin to live long enough to stand trial. When smallpox broke out in the Deadwood gold mine camp, Calamity Jane devoted herself to caring for the sick men. She brought most of the patients through. Many a pock-marked old man of the Black Hills in later year called her “an angel” From Deadwood, when the camp began to settle into respectability, Calamity Jane wandered around the country to places such as Leadville, Alaska, California and Montana, but she always came back to her Deadwood home. Calamity Jane went East to play in vaudeville. It was said she couldn’t keep sober long enough and her language was too rough for the tenderfoot audiences of Eastern cities. The cowboys of Belle Fourche, the center of the cattle camps, knew her as a howling drunkard. They often saw her staggering down the street, ride their wild horses, nurse the sick, and cook the best meals they ever had in those parts. She was married . . . every now and then . . . and kept the name of one of the first of her husbands - Burke. She also had a daughter about whom little is known. At the turn of century she came back to Deadwood for the last time from one of her

CONTINUED ON PAGE 19 April ~ May ~ June 2014

Legends of Deadwood

many far-flung excursions. Every person who knew her at this period told a different story about her. She was good and kind, she took care of the less fortunate, she was drunk and disorderly, she was a renegade - but none ever said she stole or committed a serious crime. The end came for Calamity Jane — a tired and unhappy woman, her dark beauty ravaged by hard living — in a boarding house in Terry. A combination of pneumonia and alcoholism carried her off on August 1, 1903. Her funeral was the largest ever held in Deadwood. One writer declared at the time that “10,000 persons with not one mourner among them” attended the funeral. She was buried at Mt. Moriah Cemetery beside Wild Bill, forever close to him in death but never in life. The legend of Calamity Jane continues to grow today as the summer breeze and winter snows roll over her quiet grave on the tree covered hilltop.

“Charles Utter, nuisance, keeping a dance house. To Mr. Utter the Court delivered a very severe lecture, condemning all such practices in unmeasured terms. But in consideration that Mr. Utter had closed the place (Judge Moody) sentenced him to one hour’s confinement and a fifty dollar fine and costs.” Utter departed Deadwood after a fire swept through and destroyed much of the town on September 26, l879. He was later rumored to be practicing medicine in Panama.

Charlie Utter

Seth Bullock is a notable Westerner, not only here in the Black Hills, but in Montana and Wyoming as well. Before coming to Deadwood, Bullock was a member of the 1871 and 72 sessions of the Territorial Senate of Montana, during which he introduced a resolution calling upon the U.S. Congress to set aside Yellowstone as the nation’s first national park. The Montana Legislature and Congress approved the measure and Yellowstone National Park was created in 1872. Bullock entered into partnership with Sol Star in the hardware business in Helena, Mont. and the two ventured to Deadwood in 1876 and opened a highly successful hardware store in the booming gold camp. The hardware store was remodeled and turned into the historic Bullock Hotel, with luxury accomodations for those days. When a smallpox epidemic threatened the raw town, Bullock was elected treasurer of the Board of Health and Street Commissioners — the first unofficial government. The murder of Wild Bill Hickok sparked a loud demand for law and order and Bullock was quickly tapped to serve as the town’s first sheriff. With the aid of tough deputies, Bullock quickly tamed the wild streets, bars and gambling halls with minimal fuss or new graves at Mt. Moriah. More peaceful pursuits followed and Bullock was soon appointed as the first U.S. Marshal of the Dakota Territory. He found time to ranch on the Belle Fourche River and was the first in the territory to plant alfalfa. His leadership led to building a federal fish hatchery for the Black Hills, in Spearfish. Bullock founded the town of Belle Fourche (which later became a huge livestock shipping point). A lifelong friend of Theodore Roosevelt from the 1890s, Bullock was appointed by “Teddy” as the first Forest Supervisor of the Black Hills Forest Reserve, predecessor to today’s Black Hills National Forest. Roosevelt invited Bullock and his wife to London to “show off the splendid looking”

“Colorado” Charlie Utter is known locally as a good friend to “Wild Bill” Hickok. Indeed, Utter saw to it that his good “pard” was properly buried. A notice was posted around town, alerting citizens that funeral services would be held “at Charlie Utter’s camp on Thursday afternoon, August 3, l876, a three o’clock p.m. All are respectfully invited to attend.” Utter even wrote Hickok’s epitaph for a grave marker. It seemed like the least he could do, seeing as how Utter brought Hickock to the Black Hills. Utter organized a wagon train in Georgetown, Colorado, which swung through Cheyenne, Wyoming, on the way to the gold strike. That’s where Hickok joined the wagon train. A Colorado newspaper described Utter as a “courageous little man” wearing fringed leggings and coat and sporting gold and silver decorated revolvers. Utter was also fastidious, insisting on a daily bath. In those days, weekly, monthly, quarterly or even annual baths were more familiar to the denizens of Deadwood, who’d gather to view Utter’s bathing with bemusement and wonder. Utter reportedly chastised his friend Hickok for curling up, uninvited, in Utter’s blankets. Fortunately for Utter, Hickok did not take offense (he was somewhat drunk) as Utter dragged Hickok out of the tent and stripped him of the warm blanket — all the while turning the air blue with a stream of curses. Hickok merely shrugged it off and found somewhere else to finish his nap. After Hickok’s murder, Utter reportedly turned his entrepreneurial spirit to letter and freight delivery, mining and gambling. The Lead newspaper Black Hills Times, June 24, l879 reported: Destination Deadwood

Seth Bullock

sheriff and Roosevelt’s “typical ideal American.” Roosevelt’s death in 1919 shattered Bullock. Despite his own frail condition, Bullock quickly built the Roosevelt Monument on Mt. Roosevelt across the Gulch from Mt. Moriah. Months later, Bullock died of cancer at the age of 70 and was buried, at his request, on the hill-side above Mt. Moriah.

is on display at Deadwood’s Adams Museum — the real nugget safely tucked away in storage. Johnny became a local and national hero, loved for his warm personality and magical way with children. He was a favorite of all those who visited his diggings or met him on the streets of Deadwood. He wore his hair long, and peered through spectacles perched on his short nose. After dying of old age at the age of 77 after a short illness, his body was buried at Mt. Moriah Cemetery, near Wild Bill and Calamity Jane. When his funeral procession rolled past the Adams Museum, the carillon chimes tolled 77 times.

Potato Creek Johnny “Potato Creek Johnny” or Johnny Perett, was one of the Old West’s most respected and peaceable men. Full grown, the Welshman stood an impish 4 foot, 3 inches. He searched the West for adventure and dabbled in many pursuits before settling down to prospecting. Potato Creek Johnny staked his claim at Deadwood’s Potato Creek. That’s where he stayed until his death in 1943. While alive, Johnny found what is believed to be the largest gold nugget prospected in the Black Hills. The nugget weighed 7.75 ounces. He sold the nugget to W.E. Adams, and a replica

Page 19

Deals in the Black hills

Advertisers in Destination Deadwood® would like to tell you more about their businesses. They offer coupons, brochures and other “deals” that will be helpful when planning your visit to the Black Hills. Circle the businesses you would like to know more about and we’ll take care of the rest. • Akela Spa/Executive Lodging of the Black Hills • Blacktail Horseback Tours • Deadwood History • Deadwood Mountain Grand • Dick & Jane’s Naughty Spot • Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort, Golf Club & Development

• First Gold Hotel & Gaming • KOA/Deadwood • Mad Mountain Adventures • Mineral Palace Hotel & Gaming • Pump House Coffee/Mind Blown Studio • The Lodge at Deadwood • Whistler Gulch

Mail to:

Destination Deadwood® PO Box 876, Lead, SD 57754 Name: Address: City, State, Zip: For advertising information, please call (605) 584-2303, (605) 642-2761 or (605) 341-0086 Please send us your e-mail address for future special offers: dru@bhpioneer.com 4-5-6, 2014

April ~ May ~ June 2014


Mt. Moriah Cemetery

The Mt. Moriah Cemetery was established in 1877-1878, because of the ever increasing demands on the Ingleside Cemetery which was down the hill. Many buried at the old cemetery were later exhumed and reburied at Mt. Moriah. Mt. Moriah has numerous sections: Chinese - only a few graves exist, since most bodies were exhumed and returned to China for religious reasons; Jewish - complete with tombstones inscribed in Hebrew; Masonic - one of the most attractive sections; Potters Fields - for early day indigents and prostitutes, most unmarked; also a Civil War Veterans section called War Memorial The following are some of the more wellknown residents: James Butler Hickok “Wild Bill” (died 1876) marshal, Army scout, gunman and gambler John Perrett “Potato Creek Johnny”(died 1943) prospector reported to have found the largest gold nugget in the Black Hills Martha Canary “Calamity Jane” (1850-1903) need we say more? Henry Weston Smith “Preacher Smith” (died 1876) well-like local Methodist minister Seth Bullock - One of Deadwood’s most notable citizen’s W.E. Adams (died 1934) pioneer businessman, Deadwood mayor, est. Adams House Museum Colonel John Lawrence - governor of Dakota Territory and namesake of Lawrence County Willis H. Bonham ( 1847-1927) editor and publisher of the Deadwood-Pioneer Times newspaper for nearly 50 years. Please remember that Mt. Moriah is first and foremost a cemetery. It should be afforded the respect which any final resting place of the dead deserves. Address: 2 Mt. Moriah Rd (605) 722-0837 Owned by the City of Deadwood Parks, Cemetery & Rec Department

Homestake Adams Research & Cultural Center

Adams Museum

The Adams Museum once served as a cabinet of curiosities but has evolved into the premiere history museum in the Black Hills. Featuring a collection of artwork and artifacts reflecting the natural history and pioneer past of the northern Black Hills. The museum was founded by W.E. Adams in 1930. Step into the past and discover a rare plesiosaur, the mysterious Thoen Stone, impressive collections of paintings, guns, photographs, minerals and Native American artifacts. Adams Museum Spring Hours: March-April: Tuesday-Sunday 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Summer Hours: May-September: Daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 54 Sherman St., Deadwood (605) 578-1714 www.deadwoodhistory.com

Historic Adams House

The Adams House recounts the real tragedies and triumphs of two of the communities founding families. Following the death of W.E. Adams in 1934, his second wife closed the house. For a halfcentury, time stood still. Linens lay folded in drawers, fine china remained stacked in cupboards and cookies kept a lonely vigil in their clear glass jar. Painstainly restored and preserved by leading experts in historic

The Homestake Adams Research and Cultural Center (HARCC) protects and makes accessible, for the first time ever, the history of the Homestake Mining Company. The 10,000 cubic foot Homestake Mining Company archival collection is of national significance. While there are many aspects that make the Homestake Mining Company unique, it is also representative of an industry of iconic proportions that dominated and helped settle much of

Founded by one of Deadwood’s pioneer business leaders in memory of his wife and daughters, they provide a lasting link between today’s visitor and thousand of faceless miners, muleskinner and madams in whose footsteps they walk.

Destination Deadwood

preservation, the Adams House was reopened to the public in 2000, revealing a time capsule in a place where legends still live. Tour rooms and grounds of this elegant Victorian mansion and learn why it was once Deadwood’s social center.

constructed 32,000-square-foot museum is home to collections of Western and American Indian artifacts, archives, photos and artwork. It houses one of the nation’s most significant collections of American Western history. The four important collections are Wagons & Vehicles, Rodeo Collection, Clothing Collection and Clowser Collection. Open year round - Closed Holidays Spring Hours: March-April Tuesday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Summer Hours: May-September Daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 18 76th Drive, Deadwood, SD 57732 Adjacent to the Days of ‘76 Rodeo arena. 605-722-4800

Western America. Mining deeds, land claims, mineral surveys, annual reports, exploration and production records, photographs, assay ledgers, timber contracts and a plethora of other mining-related documents, dating from 1876 to 2002, detail the company’s 126-year history in Lead, South Dakota and far beyond. As the newest entity affiliated with the Adams Museum & House, Inc., HARCC serves as a destination that appeals to geologists, paleontologists, archaeologists, genealogists, historians, authors, scholars and the general public. It is a testament to the mining industry that helped shape America, allowing it to grow into an industrial nation. HARCC is a research center with a reputation for thoroughness assisting in multi-disciplined fields of study that expand HARCC’s credibility as a national resource, and, by its very nature, creates greater research opportunities on a state and national level. Monday - Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., or by appointment. 150 Sherman St. Deadwood, SD 57732 605-722-4800 www.adamsmuseumandhouse.org

Days of ‘76 Museum

The Days of ‘76 Museum began informally, as a repository for the horse drawn wagons and stagecoaches, carriages, clothing, memorabilia and archives generated by the Days of ‘76 Celebration. The newly

Page 20

Seizing the opportunity, they decided to rechristen the mine as the Broken Boot. The Broken Boot has been giving tours to visitors ever since. In fact, the Broken Boot has operated longer and more successfully as a visitor attraction than it did as a working mine. Open Mid May - Mid September Tours every 30 minutes - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. 1200 Pioneer Way (605) 578-1876. www.brokenbootgoldmine.com

www.deadwoodhistory.com

Broken Boot Gold Mine Step into history and dig into the past.

Adams Museum & House “Where Legends Live”

Attractions

Attractions

Historic Adams House Spring Hours: April Tuesday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with tours at the top of the hour. Last tour at 4 p.m. Summer Hours: May-September Daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Last tour at 5 p.m. 22 Van Buren Ave., Deadwood (605) 578-3724 www.deadwoodhistory.com

In the spring of 1876, the call of GOLD led a flood of miners, merchants, muleskinners and madams to sweep into Deadwood Gulch. The intriguing story of one of America's last great gold rushes

comes to life at Deadwood's Broken Boot Gold Mine, established in 1878. Eager to enter the untamed frontier and become rich on the gold that was surely concealed in it, Olaf Seim and James Nelson came to the Black Hills and dug a mine just outside Deadwood in 1878. Known simply as Seim's (pronounced SIGNS) Mine, it produced about 15,000 ounces of gold for its two young owners over a period of 26 years - which wasn't very much. In fact, the men averaged only about 1.5 ounces of the yellow metal per day. But gold wasn't the only metal Seim and Nelson found in their mine. They also found plenty of iron pyrite, or fool's gold. It closed in 1904, only to reopen briefly in 1917. With World War I raging, demand was high for iron and sulfur - crucial components of gunpowder - and Seim's Mine had enough to become profitable again. But when the war ended in 1918, so did the mine's lease on life. Seim's Mine sat vacant for thirty-six years. In 1954, a group of Deadwood businessmen wanted to repair the mine and re-open it as a tourist attraction. the mine was leased it to the businessmen. During the renovations to make it safe for tours, the crews found an old worn boot (among other long-forgotten relics) in a back chamber.

Celebrity Memorabilia

If you love the movies and the Celebrities then this is the place to go. You will see the Transformer Cars, Herbie the Lovebug, Evil Knievels personal motorcycle, and Ann Margaret’s motorcycle. They offer over 75 displays of Celebrity Memorabilia: Tom Hanks year book, Pirates of the Caribbean sword, Back to the Future, Seabiscuit, Meg Ryans dress in Sleepless in Seattle and so much more. Free Admission. Celebrity Hotel & Casino 629 Main Street Deadwood, SD 57732 605-578-1909 1-888-399-1886 www.celebritycasinos.com

Historic Homestake Opera House

Lead’s Homestake Opera House being restored to former glory The large, beautiful Historic Homestake Opera House and Recreation center was built in 1914 with the finest materials available at the time. The idea was conceived by Phoebe Hearst, wife of gold magnate George Hearst and his mining superintendent, Thomas Grier as a place of enjoyment for their miner workers and families. The construction was funded by the Homestake Gold Mine.

“Waiting to be Discovered”

Black Hills Mining Museum

“Your Complete Black Hills Mining Experience”

Share the thrill experienced by the old time prospectors by panning your own GOLD! Walk through time with “miner” tour guides in timbered passages of a simulated underground gold mine. View historic mining artifacts and local history exhibits. This museum includes a historic video presentation of mining in the Black Hills, a gift shop with Gold Panning Books

Destination Deadwood

Homestake Visitor Center

CONTINUED ON PAGE 17 April ~ May ~ June 2014

and Supplies and much more. Winter Hours: Museum Only Oct. - April 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Summer Hours: May-Sept. Daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m. 323 W. Main St, Lead, SD 57754 (605) 584-1605 www.blackhillsminingmuseum.com

of new windows and doors located in the theater and the front entrance of the building. The Historic Homestake Opera House Society, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, was founded in 1996 and is dedicated to the restoration, use and preservation for future generations of the Opera House, based upon the steadfast belief that this once-thriving creative center is one cornerstone for the preservation, renewal and development of the Lead community. All this work is credited to generous donors and grants received from South Dakota Historic Preservation, Deadwood Historic Preservation, the Mary Adams-Mastrovich Family Foundation and the City of Lead. At this time, the theater seats 350. Tours of the Historic Homestake Opera House are available daily by reservation. Please call 605-929-6427 to schedule a tour. For more information: Sarah Carlson, director PO Box 412 313 W. Main Street, Lead, SD 57754 605-584-2067 office 605-929-6427 cell opera@rushmore.com HomestakeOperaHouse.org Visit our Facebook page

Vaudeville shows, international ballet, operas, boxing matches and all kinds of performing arts were presented there. Silent movies and then ‘talkies’ were shown and sound was produced by the popular Wurlitzer organ. The building was nearly destroyed by fire in 1984, but extensive and ongoing restoration work has made it possible to house live performances and events yearround. Musical performances are not the only event gracing the stage of the HHOH. Interest in using the facility for meetings, seminars, weddings and private engagements continues to grow. Restoration projects that have been completed in 2010-2011 include: a beautifully restored women’s lounge; a brand new theater sound system; a renovated stamped concrete courtyard entrance and replacement and installation

It’s about hard work, it’s about discovery, it’s about people their families and the history of the oldest gold mine in the West. Homestake is more than a museum. The Homestake Mine was the oldest and deepest mine in the Western Hemisphere reaching more than 8,000 feet below the town of Lead. Since it’s closure in 2002 local and state officials have been working hard to turn the former mine into a world-class scientific research laboratory. You can still take surface tours that offer the rare chance to witness the evolution of American gold mining from the early days of panning and digging to today’s hightech methods. You will learn about the early years of the mine, the gold recovery process and innovations, such as the hoists that provided access for personnel and materials into the underground. With Homestake’s fascinating tour, displays, mining artifacts and terrific gift shop, your family will be sure to have a blast. Surface Tours daily May - September Hours: Oct.-April Mon.-Sat. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; May-Sept. Daily 8 a.m.-6 p.m. 160 W. Main St., Lead, SD 57754 (605)584-3110 www.homestakevisitorcenter.com

Page 21

George S. Mickelson Trail

The 109-mile-long Mickelson Trail follows the historic Deadwood to Edgemont Burlington Northern rail line. SD’s first rails to trails project. Enjoyed by hikers, bikers & horseback riders. 14 trailheads, over 100 converted railroad bridges, four hardrock tunnels & numerous services along the trail. Gentle slopes & easy access. 11361 Nevada Gulch Rd.,, Lead, SD 57754. Ph: 605-584-3896 mickelsontrail.com

Historic Matthews Opera House Back in 1906, the new Matthews Opera House was the center for entertainment in the Northern Hills, hosting touring companies and vaudevillians. Time seems to have stood still, for today the ornate woodwork, the murals and the brightly painted advertising on the act curtain are throwbacks to the turn-of-the century. Built by a wealthy Wyoming cattleman, the original “cost of the opera house was no less than $25,000!”

In 1906 hundreds of area residents attended the grand opening to enjoy a touring company’s production of “The Lion & the Mouse.” In 1976 and over the next few summers, “The P ­ hantom of the Matthews Opera House” attracted 27,000 visitors. CONTINUED ON PAGE 18 April ~ May ~ June 2014


Attractions

In 1989, the Matthews Opera House Society began restoration of the building. In 1997 the lobby and fireplace room were expanded in 1906 decor, an elevator was installed, and dressing rooms were built. Renovation of the theater itself is nearly complete. Curtain time is 7:30 p.m. for evening performances and 2 p.m. for Sunday matinees. Matthews Opera House is located at 614 Main Street, Spearfish. (605) 642-7973 614 1/2 Main St., Spearfish, SD 57783

buff colored and weathered grey and is noted for its caves and fossils. Archaeological evidence indicates big game hunters and their families (PaleoIndians) were present in the area and possibly in the Canyon at least 10,000 years ago. Trees and plants from Rocky Mountains, Easter Deciduous, and Northern Forests, and Great Plains areas can be found here. Canyon vegetation is extremely diverse — of the 1,585 plant species found in South Dakota, 1,260 species are in the Black Hills

A History of Old Deadwood Gulch in Story and Song

D.C. Booth Historic Fish Hatchery

D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery is one of the oldest operating fish hatcheries in the country.   Established in 1896 to introduce trout populations to the Black Hills of South Dakota and Wyoming, D.C. Booth now serves to protect and preserve fisheries records and artifacts for educational, research, and historic purposes, and provide interpretive and educational programs for visitors.   Not only can visitors to the hatchery get up close and personal with tens of thousands of trout in ponds and through the underwater viewing window, but the museum at D.C. Booth is one of the largest collections of American fisheries artifacts and records in the country. The elegant D.C. Booth House, completed in 1905, housed hatchery superintendents until 1984.   The home is now decorated with period furnishings and personal mementos. Visitors can also tour the historic fisheries railcar and learn about the vibrant history of a time when fish were transported from hatcheries around the country to lakes and streams by rail. For over 100 years, visitors have enjoyed feeding the fish and strolling through the tranquil grounds.   The hatchery is open year-round from dawn to dusk. 423 Hatchery Circle Spearfish, SD 57783 605-642-7730 www.fws.gov/dcbooth

 Destination Deadwood

Main Street, and will take visitors to see the historical sites and hear the fascinating true tales of the most famous, raucous, “rip-roaringist” town in all the West. See it inside and out with Wild Bill’s best “pard,” Colorado Charlie Utter. The tour takes around 45 minutes, at a leisurely pace with frequent stops (does not go to Mt. Moriah). Sept-May: Thurs.-Sun. Noon Cost: $18 for a family, parents and children; $7 for adults; $6 for seniors; $5.50 per person in groups of 8 or more; $5 for children 5-12. Call Randy at 605-484-0338 or email randysc@knology.net for more information.

High Plains Western Heritage Center

The High Plains Western Heritage Center was founded to honor the old west pioneers and Native Americans of five states. This museum features western art, artifacts and memorabilia. It houses the completely restored “original” Spearfish to Deadwood Stagecoach that was bought in 1890 and last ran in 1913. A 200-seat theatre features many historic programs, entertainment, and special events year round. It is open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. For information call (605) 6429378. An admission fee is charged with special rates for families, and organized groups. It is located just off I-90 Exit 14 South, Spearfish. Open 9 am - 5 pm daily. westernheritagecenter.com

Spearfish Canyon National Scenic Byway

Six hundred million or so years ago, long before man walked this area, it was covered by a huge sea. As waters subsided and land masses began to appear — 30 to 60 million years ago — drainages such as Spearfish Canyon formed as softer rock was eroded away. Today, this area is part of the Black Hills National Forest. The Canyon’s high walls are the three dominant rock types. Deadwood shale — at the bottom — which can be identified by its brown color, is multi-layered in appearance and ranges from 10 to 400 feet thick. Englewood limestone — in the middle — is pink to red colored and is 30 to 60 feet thick. Paha Sapa limestone — the top layer and thickest layer (300 to 600 feet) — is

PHOTO COURTESY: LES VOORHIS/FOCUS WEST GALLERY

and Spearfish Canyon is representative of that extreme variety. A great number of bird species may be found throughout the Canyon like turkeys, Blue Jays, Woodpeckers, and Cliff Swallows.

Elkhorn Ridge Golf Club Nestled on the side of a mountain, Elkhorn Ridge Golf Club is a modern Championship 9-hole golf course open to the public featuring breathtaking views of the historic Centennial Valley. These challenging 9 holes afford over 285 feet of elevation change, hidden canyons, elevated tees, and broad sloping greens. 6845 St. Onge Road Spearfish, SD 57783 605-722-4653 www.golfelkhorn.com

Deadwood Alive Historic Walking Tour Deadwood Alive’s troupe now offers Historic Walking Tours that meet in the front entrance of Mustang Sally’s, 634

Page 22

The show features true tales of Deadwood’s past, plus period and original music. Watch professional living history presentations by Wild Bill’s best pard, Colorado Charlie Utter and by Charles Raspberry Brown. Sept-May: Thurs.-Sun. 2:00 & 4:00 pm 30-45 minutes show Seth’s Cellar (basement of Bullock Hotel), 633 Main Street, Cost: $5 per adult; $4 per senior; $3 per child (5-12); and $12 per family. Call Randy at (605) 484-0338 or email randysc@knology.net for more information.

Trail of Jack McCall

Witness the infamous trial of Jack McCall, the man who killed Wild Bill Hickok. May 24-August 31 – Mondays-Saturdays. There will be no shows on Sundays or during the following events: (Wild Bill Days, Days of ‘76, Sturgis Rally, and Kool Deadwood Nites). 7:30 p.m. – Capture of Jack McCall, Main Street in front of Old Style Saloon #10 8:00 p.m. – Trial held at Historic Masonic Temple Theatre, 715 Main Street. Tickets can be purchased by calling 1-800344-8826. www.deadwoodalive.com

Historic Street Shows

May 24-September 8 Mondays-Saturdays The Deadwood Alive troupe is here to entertain. From Main Street Deadwood shootouts to guided walking tours, there’s something for all guests to enjoy, year-round. There are three Street Show re-enactments in Deadwood on Main Street. The Shooting of Wild Bill is held inside Saloon No.10 at 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm, and 7:00 pm. The Gunslingers are the street shootouts, at 2:00 pm in front of Four Aces, 4:00 pm in front of The Celebrity Hotel, and 6:00 pm in front of The Franklin Hotel. The shoot-outs and re-enactments are FREE to watch.

April ~ May ~ June 2014

Destination Deadwood

Page 23

April ~ May ~ June 2014


Destination Deadwood

Page 24

April ~ May ~ June 2014


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.