March 8, 2017

Page 1

free

WEDNESDAY

march 8, 2017 high 52°, low 28°

t h e i n de p e n de n t s t u de n t n e w s pa p e r of s y r a c u s e , n e w yor k |

N • Tracking fire

P • Knighted

The city of Syracuse is moving closer to installing ShotSpotter, a gunshot detection sensor, throughout the city after the Common Council approved it. Page 3

I-81 SERIES PART 2 OF 3

dailyorange.com

Anton Ninno and other Syracuse city school teachers have been helping kids meet new people and discover new ideas through an after-school chess club. Page 9

S • Standing tall

Dajuan Coleman came to Syracuse as a five-star recruit and a local favorite. His career has been derailed by knee injuries, but he still cherishes his time at SU. Page 16

Stuck in traffic

trump’s first 100 days

Travel ban draws criticism By Satoshi Sugiyama and Delaney Van Way asst. news editors

President Donald Trump’s modified version of his controversial executive order banning entry from certain countries has drawn ire from Syracuse University community members. Trump signed a new executive order on Monday that puts a hold on issuing visas for citizens of six countries: Iran, Yemen, Syria, Somalia, Libya and Sudan for 90 days, and suspends the United States’ refugee program for 120 days.

25

The pending I-81 replacement project could have a major impact on the Syracuse economy. Business leaders in the city and surrounding region are divided about what they believe is the best option for the highway. wasim ahmad staff photographer

Businesses face uncertainty with pending I-81 changes By Delaney Van Wey asst. news editor

O

n the 400 block of North Salina Street’s sidewalk, perspective is everything. On the horizon, just a glance up, looms what is perhaps the most prominent feature of the city: Interstate 81. The noise — a near constant rumble — of the nearly 100,000 cars that pass over the highway every day is inescapable. Kathleen Di Scenna stands in the middle of all of this as she presides over her family business, Di Scenna Travel Service, at 413 N. Salina St. Pondering the possibilities for the major piece of infrastructure just see I-81 page 4

Business along North Salina Street may see many changes as a result of I-81 renovations. wasim ahmad staff photographer

onondaga county

Mahoney calls for merger, increased dialogue By Satoshi Sugiyama asst. news editor

Onondaga county residents are ready to have a discussion about merging the Syracuse and Onondaga County governments without forging a divide, Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney said during her State of the County address Tuesday evening. “I just hope that if we have good information and we understand that it is possible and what

we are talking about it is really the best antidote to some of the rhetoric that has caused the division,” Mahoney said. “There really shouldn’t be bickering between the county and the city, certainly not over ideas.” Speaking in front of a crowd of roughly 100 people at Carrier Theater in downtown Syracuse, Mahoney again expressed her clear support for the merger to move forward. The citizen group Consensus

in February released a report last month detailing its final recommendations on merging the city of Syracuse and Onondaga County governments. The report also proposed a new legislative body with 29 district and four at-large representatives. The report calls for a referendum to be held this year and for the government consolidation transition to begin in 2018. But Linda Ervin, floor leader and representative for the Onondaga

County Legislature’s 17th district, previously said the legislature is not expecting to hold a referendum this year. Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner in February blasted Consensus’ report on the merger as “more a plan for the worst form of corporate looting.” Nevertheless, during her address Tuesday, Mahoney urged the referendum to take place, adding that she trusts the voters.

see sotc page 4

Number of days it took Trump to sign a new travel ban after the first one was shot down by an appeals court

The order is a less severe version of his Jan. 27 ban on travel, with Iraq no longer included as one of the banned countries. While the first ban went into effect immediately, the new order’s rules will begin on March 16. The new rules apply for future visa applicants, also, but those who currently have a valid visa to enter the U.S. are not subjected to travel restriction. Individuals who have permanent resident status are also exempt from the new rules, unlike the first order. The new order was issued after the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals blocked enforcement of the original travel ban, upholding an earlier decision made by a federal judge in Seattle. SU Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly in an email to the campus community Tuesday said the university’s office of the general counsel is reviewing the new order. Wheatly added that the office’s attorneys and staff members from the Slutzker Center for International Services are still available to give advice to SU students, faculty and staff affected by the new executive order. Despite the executive order’s changes, some in the SU community still feel the order violates the principles of the U.S. “When you sign an executive order, you’re saying let them be killed,” said Nada Odeh, an SU graduate student in the museum studies program who fled Syria in 2012 with her family. see executive

order page 4


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.