13th Gymnasium of Heraklion
ΚΑ2: 2016-1-ES01-KA219-025211_3 NAPLES: 20-24 FEBRUARY 2017
HISTORICAL FLASHBACK
Chania : City in the west
side of Crete
Its history dates back to
antiquity, since the modern town of Chania is built on the site of ancient Cydonia. Region of great importance both for commercial and military reasons, thanks to its position at the crossroads of North-South (EuropeAfrica) East - West (Europe - Asia) .
The lighthouse in the old port of
Chania goes back to more than five centuries.
It’s the city’s distinctive landmark
all around the world.
Its story is inseparably linked to
the history of the port as well as to the history of the region.
In 1212 A.D Venetians conquered the
island of Crete.
During Turkish and Venetian
domination, Chania developed a flourishing trade and an expanding shipping.
Venetians rebuilt the town following
the venetian architectural standards and so, the city gradually grew inside the walls.
The port’s function was soon
considered necessary and so the local authorities were obliged to take further action for its construction.
13TH CENTURY VENETIAN DOMINATION
1320 - 1356 : The construction of the port began
and the project continued for the next 200 years. 1363-1364: this port was abandoned and only Heraklion’s harbor was in use, as Rethimno’s port was faced with similar problems. .
1595 – 1601 :
the Venetians constructed a lighthouse founded on the natural rock that functioned as an open flame torch ,mentioned as the “Flashlight’’.
1830-1860 TURKISH OCCUPATION  During this period many public works
took place in the island.
The lighthouse was reconstructed on its original trapezoid basis, however, it is different from the old one and looks like a minaret.
 The tower-block of the lighthouse
consists of three parts of different cross sections: the part of the base is octagonal, the middle part has sixteen angles and the third is round. It is constructed with hewn stones made of white sandstone. The interior staircase leads to a balcony with a glass turret.  In 1847 and 1859 the lighthouse
was renovated upon its Venetian base and in 1839 it functioned with the latest technology at that time.
At the end of the 19th century it
works as a port lantern and it consists only of the lighthouse tower, without the keepers’ residence as it is located in a populated area. At the end of the Turkish
occupation, a ladder of the eastern side was built at the entrance of the lighthouse.
The lighthouse of Chania
operated in 1933 as a stable, red, “port lantern”.
In 1941 its lighting equipment
was destroyed during the Second World War.
It was replaced later and
operated again in 1945.
In 1962, the cargo ship “AFOVOS” crashed into the north-west corner of the lighthouse’s base.
Today, the lighthouse still
constitues the oldest and most precious ornament of Chania .
It is standing proudly 21m
above the sea level and its light shines for 7 miles.
It’s the oldest, preserved
lighthouse until today, not only in Greece but also in the Mediterranean too, and one of the oldest in the world.
GREEK STUDENTS: APOSTOLAKIS BABIS KEVGAS MANOLIS PAPADAKI IOANNA CHRISTAKI MARIANNITA