Mon., May 19, 2014

Page 1

IDS MONDAY, MAY 19, 2014

FOR SUMMER ARTS EVENTS, SEE PAGE 6

INDIANA DAILY STUDENT | IDSNEWS.COM

Indiana one of first states to introduce text-to-911 BY JAVONTE ANDERSON ja69@indiana.edu @JavonteA

something really historical with our program,” Smith said. “I won’t say this is a hard team to read, but they’re kind of melancholy in everything they do. But I like the intensity today.” From here on, IU will be playing postseason ball. The first taste of playoff baseball will be

Anyone in Indiana will now be able to text 911 for emergency assistance, in what the Federal Communications Commission is calling next-generation 911 capabilities. The Indiana Statewide 911 Board has announced a public safety initiative that will enable everyone who lives or travels in Indiana direct access to emergency services via text message. Indiana is the second state to offer this service. For now the service is only available to those with Verizon Wireless service. The nation’s three other preeminent wireless companies, T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T, are expected to provide this service in the upcoming weeks. The public should only communicate with 911 dispatchers via text messages if they’re unable to speak because of a medical condition or if speaking would be unsafe. Using a phone to call 911 is still the most efficient way to contact emergency services, said Barry Ritter, executive director of the Statewide 911 Board. To emphasize the importance of using the most efficient method during emergencies, the 911 Board introduced the slogan “B 4 U TXT 911 VOICE is best,” to correspond with the introduction of the text-to-911 service. The Statewide 911 Board advises customers using the textto-911 service to provide their location and nature of their emergency in the first text message, since the emergency dispatch centers will only receive an approximate location of the cell phone. Text message abbreviations or slang should never be used so the dialogue is as clear as possible, the Board said. After the emergency dispatch center receives a 911 text, they will attempt to engage in a text conversation to procure as much information as possible, said Jeff Schemmer, Bloomington Police Department communications manager. The text-to-911 service will be beneficial to those who are deaf or speaking-impaired.

SEE BASEBALL, PAGE 8

SEE 911, PAGE 8

PHOTOS BY HALYEIGH ELMORE | IDS

Junior Sam Travis bats against Minnesota Saturday at Bart Kaufman Field. The Hoosiers beat the Gophers, 8-0, winning the final of their Big Ten series.

Second season begins Done with the regular season, IU looks forward to postseason action BY EVAN HOOPFER ehoopfer@indiana.edu @EvanHoopfer

After IU lost to Indiana State March 26, the Hoosiers’ record fell to 12-10. IU was out of the top 25 polls. It was out of national seed contention. The team, which had been ranked as high as No. 3 in the preseason, was battling injuries and losing close games. Going into that weekend after the Indiana State loss, IU traveled to play Ohio State. “I tell the guys, ‘You’ve seen the light, so it can’t get much worse,’” IU Coach Tracy Smith said at the time. IU went on to sweep Ohio State. Then IU swept Iowa. Then, in the next Big Ten series against Michigan State, the Hoosiers swept the Spartans and were playing some of the best baseball in the country. IU (38-13, 21-3) has continued to play well, and this weekend finished off its regular season hot streak by winning two-of-three against Minnesota (27-22, 13-11). “We knew all along we have something bigger to play for,” first baseman Sam Travis said.

The IU baseball team lines the dugout fence, watching the final game of the series against the Minnesota Gophers Saturday at Bart Kaufman Field. IU defeated Minnesota, 8-0.

Since the Indiana State loss, IU is 26-3, and all three of those losses have come by just one run. The Hoosiers are back in the top 10 in several rankings, checking in at No. 9 in the Baseball America rankings. During the first two games of the series, where IU and Minnesota split victories, Smith said he felt his team was flat and maybe

SNAAP at IU receives national grants for research FROM IDS REPORTS

The National Endowment for the Arts has awarded two grants to the Strategic National Arts Alumni Project based at IU for the continuation of its work. SNAAP is based at the IU Center for Postsecondary Research, a center of the IU School of Education. According to a press release, SNAAP has surveyed more than 100,000 arts alumni from about 300 American institutions. Surveys include questions on both the educational experiences and career outcomes of each respondent, including relevance of arts training, resource needs, job satisfaction, income and debt. The first grant, worth $20,000, will support a college senior exit survey of both arts and non-arts majors. The exit survey will be administered as part of the National Survey of Student Engagement, the country’s

largest survey of undergraduate experiences. The new study aims to looks at the relationship between undergraduates’ arts or non-arts training and the development of workforce skills, such as creative problem–solving or entrepreneurship. “With this project, we hope to begin to answer the question of how the skills and career aspirations of graduating seniors who major in the arts compare and contrast with their peers in non-arts subjects,” SNAAP director Sally Gaskill said in the release. The second grant, worth $30,000, goes to support the second “3 Million Stories” conference, which will be directed by SNAAP partner Arizona State University. “Ultimately, SNAAP is about telling the stories of the 3 million graduates in the U.S. today,” Gaskill said. Anu Kumar

thinking too much about what’s on the horizon for this team — a chance to win a national championship. But when IU defeated Minnesota, 8-0, Saturday, it marked the fourth time the IU pitching staff had recorded a shutout in Big Ten play, and Smith said he saw that focus again. “We have a chance to do

IU under investigation for possible Title IX violations BY JAVONTE ANDERSON ja69@umail.iu.edu @JavonteA

Attorney General Eric Holder met with officials from eight universities in the Washington D.C. area to discuss how to address sexual assault on university campuses across the nation. The gathering was organized to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Violence Against Women Act and concluded an eightday tour organized by the Office of Violence Against Women. The meeting, which took place May 14, came in the wake of the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights releasing a list of 55 colleges under investigation for possible sexual violence violations that includes Ivy League universities, public universities and local colleges. IU and Vincennes University are the only two Indiana

institutions on the federal list. Officials at the meeting exchanged ideas on the successes and shortcomings of their respective plans in confronting sexual assault on their campuses. Catholic University of America was among the universities represented at the meeting that is also under investigation by the DOE. While some colleges’ placement on the list was a result of students filing a Title IX complaint, Mark Land, associate vice president of public affairs and government relations, said IU’s placement on the list was not a consequence of such a complaint. “The DOE is in the process of conducting what it calls a compliance review to take a look at how Bloomington campus handles sexual assault cases and to examine the programs and staffing we have in place to help educate students on the issue and create a safe environment,” Land said.

“This is a cultural problem.” Lt. Craig Munroe, IU police department public information officer

But in 2012, the University had the highest number of sexual assaults reported among universities in the state of Indiana. According to the 2013 IU Annual Security report, 27 sexual assaults were reported on campus in 2012. Vincennes University had three sexual assaults reported. Purdue University and Ball State University, Indiana’s other two major public universities, reported two and eight, respectively. In January, President Barack Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum establishing the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault. The White House task force SEE TITLE IX, PAGE 2


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.