www.Faulkner
DealFinder
.com
Where Sellers & Buyers Connect
Razorbacks
I N S I DE
In troduc in g. ...
Weather
Mallett looking to improve on the road
Partly sunny
89/65
Pa g e 6 A
www.thecabin.net CONWAY, Ark., wednesday, sept. 15, 2010
132nd Year — No. 2
A
County emergency workers responded to a single-vehicle accident on Dalton Road in Mt. Vernon on Tuesday that killed one teenager and injured another. According to Maj. Andy Shock, the accident occurred at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon when, according to a preliminary report, Dustin Boone, 17, ran off of the side of the road and overcorrected. Shock said the truck flipped, and Boone and a 15-year-old passenger were
ejected from the vehicle. Shock confirmed that Boone, a senior at Mt. Vernon-Enola High School, was killed in the accident. The 15-year-old male was transported by MEMS to Conway Regional Medical Center and was later transferred to Children’s Hospital. As of press time, his condition was unknown. (Staff writer Megan Reynolds can be reached by e-mail at megan. reynolds@thecabin.net or by phone at 501-505-1277. To comment on this story and others, visit www. thecabin.net)
State police identify one person involved in Hwy. 64 wreck By COURTNEY SPRADLIN LOG CABIN STAFF WRITER
A
Arkansas State Police have identified the driver of the vehicle that struck another vehicle, killing four of its five occupants. Russell Johnston, 29, of Vilonia, was driving a Nissan Pathfinder on Highway 64, east of Conway on Sunday when his westbound vehicle crossed traffic, striking two other eastbound vehicles. A news release issued by Arkansas State Police said statements from witnesses indicate the crash was a direct result of a driver pursuing a second vehicle. Bill Saddler, public information officer for the Arkansas State Police, said that a criminal case has been opened and he could not comment on elements of the criminal investigation. According to Chris Harris, public information officer for the Conway Police Department, Conway officers stopped a person near Elsinger Boulevard in Conway who was allegedly fleeing the scene of the accidents. Harris said officers then referred the suspect to state police officers for
A
Three hot checks drawn on the joint checking account of Cody and Jana Hiland have been paid for, according to 22nd Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Ken Cassady. Cassady was sworn in as special prosecutor last week at the request of 20th Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Marcus Vaden after the checks were received by his office.
Jeani Johnson, a journalism teacher at Conway High SchoolWest, gets some help from election official Harold Patrom in casting her school board election ballot on Tuesday afternoon at the Second Baptist Church gymnasium. “(The millage increase) is very much needed,” Johnson said. “Right now I share a classroom with another teacher, and we really need the extra space.” Faulkner County Clerk Melinda Reynolds said that over 300 voters had cast ballots on Tuesday, the first day of early voting. Early voting will continue through Sept. 20 from 8 a.m.
their investigation. Saddler would not release the name of the suspect or confirm that the suspect was in police custody. “Until the investigative file goes to the prosecutor, there’s nothing for us to say,” Saddler said. Those killed were Frank San Felippo, 68, and Judith Ellen San Felippo, 66, of Sun City, Ariz., and their son, John N. San Felippo, 35, and grandson, Jersey San Felippo, 10, of Vilonia. A fatal crash summary on the Arkansas State Police’s website indicated that Marilyn San Felippo, 35, mother of Jersey San Fellipo and occupant of the same vehicle, sustained non-life-threatening injuries. Also injured were Matthew Hendrich, 29, of Little Rock and Lindsey Jones, 26, of Hoxie. Both were occupants of the first vehicle to be struck by Johnston’s vehicle.
Vaden said he filed the motion to avoid any conflict of interest in the case, according to official court documents. All three checks were written for small amounts to the same restaurant in May, June and July, respectively, and were signed by Jana Hiland. Cody Hiland is a candidate in the upcoming election for the office of 20th Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney.
Home delivery 329-2927 Outside Conway 1-800-678-4523 www.thecabin.net
to 4:30 p.m. Early voting for Conway Public School elections is being held at Faulkner Square off of Harkrider Street. The voting headquarters are on the west side of Harkrider, next to the Magie Eye Clinic and Blackwood’s Grill. Appearing on the ballot are three individuals vying for the Conway School Board of Education seat to be vacated by Carolyn Lewis. They are Andre Acklin, Ron Hill and Billy Thomas. Incumbent and unopposed Bill Clements will appear, as well as a proposed 1.9-mill tax increase. MEGAN REYNOLDS PHOTO
Gas leaks prompt area evacuations MEMS emergency workers place a St. Andrews Place Nursing Home resident in an ambulance to be transported to Conway Regional Medical Center on Tuesday. The facility was evacuated due to a compromised Centerpoint Energy natural gas line that was damaged when the company was excavating the area near College Avenue and Reedy Road. MEGAN REYNOLDS PHOTO
By COURTNEY SPRADLIN LOG CABIN STAFF WRITER
A
Accidents in three Faulkner County locations Tuesday caused residential and commercial areas to be evacuated because of compromised Centerpoint Energy natural gas pipelines. Eighty St. Andrews Place Nursing Home residents were evacuated Tuesday afternoon when, according to Alicia Dixon, spokesperson for Centerpoint Energy, a contractor struck a gas line near College Avenue and Reedy Road. According to Amy Springer, public information officer for the Conway Fire Department, nursing home residents were transported with the assistance of Conway School District
(Staff writer Courtney Spradlin can be reached by e-mail at courtney.spradlin@thecabin. net or by phone at 505-1236. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net. Send us your news at www.thecabin. net/submit)
Prosecutor: Hiland hot checks paid LOG CABIN DEMOCRAT
75 cents
Vote early, vote often
Teenager killed in auto accident LOG CABIN democrat
20 pages
gas leaks n 2A
Police nab more vehicle break-in suspects By COURTNEY SPRADLIN LOG CABIN STAFF WRITER
A
Conway Police again thwarted the activities of alleged theft offenders Tuesday after responding to a citizen’s report of a breaking or entering of a vehicle. John and Gabriel Jaquez, 21 and 20, of Conway, were arrested and charged with breaking or entering, a class D felony, and theft of property from a motor vehicle, a class A misdemeanor. Both brothers were assigned bond amounts of $3,145. Chris Harris, public information officer for the Conway Police Department, said officers responded to a call at Covewood Drive advising
i n s i d e Classified . . . . . 1-8C Crossword. . . . . . 2B Editorial. . . . . . . . 4A
that two males had recently been seen breaking into the caller’s girlfriend’s car. Harris said the caller advised that he confronted the suspects and slammed the car door on one of their legs as he was grabbing his girlfriend’s purse from the front seat. The caller then ran after the two, and while fleeing, one of the brothers dropped the victim’s purse. Harris said that the caller lost sight of the suspects when he picked up the purse. “Officers arrived within a few minutes and spotted two suspects on Donaghey Avenue, near the Corner Pantry,” Harris said. “During questioning, one of the officers located a silver flash-
t h e
Police Beat . . . . . 2A Obituaries. . . . . . 3A Sports. . . . . . . . 6-7A
Prevent break-ins • Lock your vehicles. • Keep valuable items out of sight. • Park in your garage if you have one. • Park in areas with plenty of light. • Consider purchasing an alarm system. light on the ground that was described by the caller as being used in the theft.” Officers transported the two to the police department for further questioning. During investigations, a large amount of change was found in Gabriel Jaquez’s
c a b i n Television . . . . . . 3B World of Wonder. .1B Yesterdays. . . . . . 2A
pockets, and Harris said he admitted to taking the change from a vehicle on Ironwood Drive. Harris said in one to two weeks, this is the third time officers have arrested a group for breaking or entering vehicles for the motive of theft. “Criminals should take the warning that the Conway Police Department is aggressively targeting this type of criminal activity, and the citizens of Conway are fed up and will not tolerate this type of behavior,” Harris said. (Staff writer Courtney Spradlin can be reached by e-mail at courtney. spradlin@thecabin.net or by phone at 505-1236. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net.)
■ spotted.thecabin.net see you there