EDITION 488
YOUR REAL INDEPENDENT LOCAL NEWS
17 FEBRUARY 2020
Power cut, roads closed and trains cancelled after storm Strong winds and heavy rain between February 8 to 10 caused power cuts, road closures and the cancellation of train services on the Peninsula.
Tree down at Umina Beach squashes to cars
A total of 195.5mm of rain was recorded at Umina in the 48 hours to 4pm on Sunday, February 9, with winds speeds estimated at up to 70km/h. Trains from Gosford and Hornsby were cancelled and rail commuters from Woy Woy were being transported by buses while infrastructure damage was repaired. Brickwharf Rd at Woy Woy was closed and several roads in Umina were flooded. Grandview Cres in Hardys Bay was blocked when a tree fell over the road, Residents in many areas of Umina, Ettalong, Pearl Beach and Patonga were without power for several days. A statement issued by Ausgrid said it was one of the worst storms to hit the network in the past 20 years, with damage including fallen and snapped power lines. Power was not expected to be restored in some areas until the
end of the last weekend. Gosford State Emergency Service deputy commander Mr Werner Klumpp said the flooding was exacerbated on the Peninsula by high tides. “The aggravating fact is that with the high tides we’ve been having in some areas of the Peninsula and around Woy Woy, the drains draining into Brisbane Water actually don’t work because the level of the Brisbane Water is higher than the drain,” he said. “It’s tidal, so when the tide goes out the water can drain away.” Community facilities which opened for residents to shower or get access to power included Peninsula Leisure Centre, Umina Surf Club, Wagstaffe Hall and Ocean Beach Surf Club. All beaches were closed last week and warnings issue to avoid waterways because of risk of pollution due to stormwater run-off after extended heavy rainfall. SOURCE: Interview (Sue Murray) 12 Feb 2020 Werner Klumpp, Gosford SES Media releases, 11 Feb 2020 Lisa Matthews, Central Coast Council Mike Allsop, WTKCA
Southern Spirit women’s captain out for four weeks Southern Spirit Cricket Club’s women’s T20 team captain Ms Sally Oman has been suspended for four games following a hearing with the Central Coast Cricket Association board on February 5. The penalty arose from a Pink Stumps Day fundraiser held by the club which raised more than $5000 for the McGrath Foundation for breast care nurses. The Association had proposed sanctions which included a $1000 fine against the club, believed to have been the largest fine ever proposed by the Association, after the women’s team wore pink Hawaiian shirts for their game against Narara on January 11. “Sanctions were proposed after it was determined players had blatantly disregarded a direction from the Association,” said Association chairman Mr Paul Deaves. “On two occasions prior to the event, the club requested approval to wear the pink Hawaiian shirts and were twice denied.” He said representatives from
Southern Spirit had been invited to make a submission and present their own evidence in response to the Association’s findings. He described reporting of the event as a “spreading misinformation”. “All we did was follow the rules set out in our constitution,” Mr Deaves said. “At no time prior to the hearing were Southern Spirit Cricket Club subjected to any sanctions or penalties.” Southern Spirit Club secretary Mr Jack Wilson said the club was happy to have the matter settled and to move on to the finals. The women’s T20 teams look set to finish as one of the top two teams on the ladder. Ms Oman’s suspension will see her miss the first week of semifinals, but she should be available should the team make the grand final. SOURCE: Interview (Dilon Luke), 11 Feb 2020 Paul Deaves, Central Coast Cricket Association Interview (Ross Barry), 12 Feb 2020 Jack Wilson, Southern Spirit Cricket Club Sally Oman
THIS ISSUE contains 56 articles - Read more news items for this issue at www.peninsulanews.info Office: Level 2, 86-88 Mann St, Gosford - Phone: 4325 7369 - Mail: PO Box 1056, Gosford 2250 - E-mail: editorial@centralcoastnews.net - Website: www.coastcommunitynews.com.au