For over 80 years and (4) generations, the Thompson family has operated a shoe store on the ground floor. Previous to our ownership, there have been many occupants including the Sheriffs Department, the Auditors Office, a mercantile store a fish market. The second floor has been restored and is open to the public as a historic landmark. Originally, "The Portland Rooms" later changed to "The Essen Rooms was one of at least seven Front Street brothels until forced to close in 1942.