Peoples Daily Online

Page 1

www.peoplesdaily-online.com

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 .

Vol. 9 No. 83

. . putting the people first

You lied, we have not FG ready to dialogue relocated from Yobe, with Boko Haram Geidam tells Aliyu –minister >> PAGE 2

>> PAGE 3

Al-Muharram 21, 1434 AH

N150

Heads to roll over SARS attack – IGP >> PAGE 3

Nigeria headed for bankruptcy, cries ACN From Ayodele Samuel, Lagos

T

he Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has raised an alarm over the economic situation in the

country saying with the polices of the President Goodluck Jonathan administration, the nation is heading towards bankruptcy. The party said the signals of

an impending economic quicksand are now clear as it accused the government of massive profligacy and channeling of resources to projects that have no utility to

national development. In a statement yesterday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the ACN said the trend towards a falling

economy are clear especially as top government officials, have started comparing the economy and projects to those of “smaller nations” which it Contd on Page 2

L-R: Laureates of the Nigerian National Order of Merit (NNOM), Professors Emeritus Ayo Banjo and Ayo Bamgbose, secretary, Nigerian National Merit Award (NNMA), Adamu Muazu, and Professor Emeritus Umaru Shehu, at the forum of laureates, yesterday in Abuja. Photo: NAN

PD INDEX

4th Dec., 2012

CBN RATES $ £ EURO CFA RIYAL

BUYING 154.76 246.91 197.25 0.2831 41

SELLING 155.76 248.51 200.54 0.3031 41.5

PARALLEL RATES EURO £ RIYAL $

BUYING 207 255 42 157

SELLING 209 256 44 158

FCT to demolish 3I more estates – Minister By Ikechukwu Okaforadi

A

s residents continue to bemoan the demolition of over 500 houses in some estates by the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), last month, FCT Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed, yesterday vowed to demolish another 31 estates having hundred of houses.

Don’t do it, Senators warn

This is even as senators cautioned against the decision and directed the ministry to tender the list of demolished estates as well as those it intends to demolish to the Senate for scrutiny. The minister, who appeared before the Senate Committee on

the FCT to defend the ministry’s 2013 budget said his administration would not yield to any attempt to blackmail the effort to sanitise the territory and restore its master plan. He said affected developers refused to heed warnings and went ahead to construct despite cautions by

the authorities. “We must demolish those 31 estates, I have the law to demolish,” he maintained. The minister insisted that due process was being followed to ensure that only estates that do not meet the required processes Contd on Page 2


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.