www.peoplesdaily-online.com
Vol. 8 No. 53
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
. . . putting the people first
Rajab 16, 1433 AH
N150
Gunfights, explosions send Maiduguri residents fleeing From Mustapha Isah Kwaru, Maiduguri
G
unfights and explosions were heard yesterday in the Shehuri North ward of Maiduguri, the Borno state
capital, after troops marched in the area that is considered a sanctuary of the Islamic sect, Boko Haram. “We heard eight explosions while solders on tanks came forward and took control of the
area”, said one resident. The presence of the troops, clearly from the Joint Military Task Force (JTF), forced residents to flee their homes in fear of arrests and physical assault. This followed the last week’s
gun battle between militants and operatives of JTF after gunmen threw an explosive device at a military patrol vehicle, which left three soldiers wounded. Shehuri North has recently
become a battle ground for masked gunmen and security forces. Three persons were killed there last Friday. It was in the same area that the gubernatorial candidate of Contd on Page 2
Senate wants Demuren sacked . . . As FG revokes DANA Air’s licence
From Suleiman Idris, Lagos & Richard Ihediwa, Abuja
T
Official of Lagos state Emergency Management Agency (LASMA) pulling down the building into which the DANA Plane crashed, yesterday in Lagos. Photo: NAN
Publish letter I’ve no hand in Third phase of inviting us to DANA plane Obajana cement dialogue, Boko crash, says project in Kogi Haram tells FG First Lady ready soon >> PAGE 2
>> PAGE 5
>> PAGE 19
he Senate yesterday recommended the sack of the Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Dr. Olusegun Harold Demuren and its other top officials for the role they allegedly played in the crash of the DANA airline flight on Sunday in Lagos. The crash killed all 153 passengers and crew members as well as persons in the building the plane plunged into. The Senate's proposition came in the wake of the Federal Government's "indefinite suspension" of DANA Air’s operating licence. The government said the airline’s licence has been “suspended indefinitely” for its negligence that resulted in the death of passengers it was carrying on its MC Donnell Douglas (MD) plane. Confirming the recovation of the airline’s licence, Special Adviser (Media) to the Minister
Slain man’s family demands withdrawal of JTF from Kano >> PAGE 9
Contd on Page 2