www.peoplesdailyng.com
Vol. 11 No. 14
Thursday, June 6, 2013
. . . putting the people first
Eagles defeat Kenya, inch near World Cup >>44
Rajab 28, 1434 AH
N150
PDP suspends Sokoto Gov, Wamakko >>2
JTF routs 55 insurgents in Yobe, Borno By Joy Baba, with agency report
T
he military said yesterday that it has dislodged all the terrorist camps operated by the Boko Haram in some areas of Yobe State and arrested 49 members of the sect in various operations in the state.
Nabs terrorists recruitment expert The military also said many Boko Haram members were fleeing to neighbouring Niger Republic through Nigeria’s porous borders. The interior ministry had said in May that Nigeria had about
1,500 illegal borders that are poorly manned. In a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Chris Olukolade, the military said the suspects were arrested in various locations in the state by the Joint
Task Force following a tip off by some locals. Various weapons, including AK-47 rifles, locally made pistols, and ammunition were recovered by the troops during the operation in Rugan Fulani, Arikime,
Afghanistan and Ngandu villages. The JTF team led by Air Commodore B.E. Inyang said all terrorist camps had been dislodged while some of the terrorists fled towards Niger Republic. It, however, said some criminals still terrorise the state under the guise of Boko Haram. Contd. on Page 2
Senate stops First Ladies’ building project By Ikechukwu Okaforadi
T
he Senate has rejected the N4 billion which the Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Bala Mohammed, had budgeted for the construction of the controversial African First Ladies Mission Building in Abuja, a pet project of Nigeria’s First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan. The fund was, instead, diverted by the senate to the provision of some essential needs of Nigerians. The First Ladies Peace Mission Building is of lower priority when many other numerous pressing problems, such as poverty, illiteracy, and lack of water are facing Nigerians, according to the lawmakers. They said that the N4 billion can also be used to develop satellite towns in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Senators in January had described as “scandalous”, the N4 billion budget contained in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) 2013 budget. Meanwhile, the Senate approved N259,649,520,705 for the FCT in the 2013 fiscal year, with a surplus of N48,716,036. Leading debates on the FCT 2013 budget, Chairman Senate Committee on FCT, Smart Adeyemi told lawmakers at plenary that the cancellation of the N4 billion budget for Contd. on Page 2
Yobe state Governor, Malam Ibrahim Gaidam (middle, with microphone), Commissioner for Water Resources, Sidi Karasuwa (left), and other officials, during the governor’s visit to the Damaturu regional water supply project site, yesterday in Damaturu.
‘Hezbollah’ armoury in Kano: JTF recovers more weapons >>3