Peoples Daily Newspaper, Monday 01, April, 2013

Page 1

www.peoplesdailyng.com

Vol. 10 No. 66

Monday, April 1, 2013

. . . putting the people first

JTF kills 14 insurgents in Kano gun battle >> 2

Jimadal Ula 21, 1434 AH

N150

JNI, others meet over polio vaccines >> 10

PDP shops for Bamanga Tukur’s replacement By Lawrence Olaoye

I

ndications emerged yesterday that top stakeholders in the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) may have resolved to bow to pressure from some governors on the platform of the party to remove the National Chairman, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur. Sources close to the party leadership disclosed that President Goodluck Jonathan who has been shielding Tukur may have caved in to pressures from several stakeholders to relieve the party’s chairman of his job. The source disclosed that Tukur would have been ordered to resign had there been consensus on his immediate replacement. He said “Baring last minute change, Tukur would be asked to turn in his resignation letter any moment from now.” While a clearer picture of who should succeed Tukur has not emerged, some names earlier touted as possible replacements were Adamu Maina Waziri and former Bauchi state governor, Adamu Muazu who was a loyalist of former President Olusegun Obasanjo. Tukur drew the ire of the President and the governors recently when he wrote to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) asking him to recognize the Adamawa PDP faction led by Joel Madaki even when efforts were ongoing to resolve the impasse. Jonathan had earlier set up a Presidential Committee headed by the Jigawa state governor, Alhaji Sule Lamido, to resolve the logjam and reconcile the feuding Contd on Page 2

L-R: President Goodluck Jonathan, former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, his wife Victoria, and Senator Emmanuel Paulker during Easter church service, yesterday at Our Saviour's Anglican Church, Tafawa Belewa Square, Lagos.

Jonathan diverts subsidy funds for 2015 campaigns, ACN alleges From Ayodele Samuel, Lagos

T

he Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has accusedPresident Goodluck Jonathan of diverting the Subsidy Re-investment Programme (SURE-P) funds for

his 2015 presidential campaign. The Federal Government floated SURE-P in 2012 claiming to use the fund to cushion the effects of removal of fuel subsidy. The ACN in a press statement in Lagos yesterday said that contrary to the provisions of the

constitution, Jonathan appointed State Implementation Committee (SIC) to distribute the SURE-P largesse to PDP members in the states. The statement signed by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed,

noted that all state coordinators for President Jonathan’s campaign in 2011 are also the current state coordinators for SURE-P. “This is not a mere coincidence but a well-orchestrated attempt Contd on Page 2

Passengers stranded on Abuja-Lokoja road

>> 16


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
Peoples Daily Newspaper, Monday 01, April, 2013 by Peoples Media Limited - Issuu