Thursday 12th June, 2014 Edtion

Page 1

www.peoplesdailyng.com

Vol. 13 No. 83

Thursday, June 12, 2014

..

. putting the people first

>>> page 3

$620,000 saga: ICPC re-arraigns Faruk Lawan, Emenalo

Sha’aban 13, 1435 AH

>>> page 3 2

N150

>>> page 42

Gwoza gets new Emir

2014 World Cup begins today

Jonathan wants to kill me, Kwankwaso alleges By Ahmed I. Shekarau

G

overnor Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso of Kano state has alleged that President Goodluck Jonathan was plotting to eliminate him, a report on

PREMIUM TIMES has revealed. The Kano state governor, in an exclusive interview he granted the online newspaper in Abuja, said: “I have told my friends, and people of Kano, Nigerians and indeed the international commu-

nity to hold Jonathan responsible for whatever happens to Kwankwaso, his family or even the people of Kano state”. Governor Kwankwaso is not the first prominent political figure in the country to accuse President

Jonathan, of plotting to eliminate him. At the peak of his prolonged row with the president, Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers state, made a similar allegation. Addressing an All Progressives Congress (APC) rally in Port

Harcourt on the 23rd of December, last year, Amaechi claimed that he is one of the persons on the list of 1,000 politicians that the president was allegedly targeting to kill, as alleged in former Contd on Page 2

OPEC Sec Gen: Hope dims for Diezani By Etuka Sunday

T

Yobe state Governor, Malam Ibrahim Gaidam (middle standing), congratulating new Emir of Kano, Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (left), during the governor’s visit to rejoice with him over his appointment and to condole him over the death of the late Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, yesterday in Kano. With them is the Kano state Deputy Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje (left).

he push by President Goodluck Jonathan for his candidate, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, Nigeria’s Minister of Petroleum Resources, to be installed as Secretary General of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), was yesterday given a cold-shoulder by members of the body. Rising from its 165th meeting at its headquarters in Vienna, Austria, OPEC rather decided to extend the tenure of Abdullah al-Badri of Iraq, the current secretary general, until June, 2015, instead of the earlier expected December this year. It would be recalled that President Jonathan on Tuesday nominated Mrs. Alison-Madueke to succeed the long-serving incumbent, al-Badri. Nigeria’s proposal, according reports, was intended to solve the deadlock over the post created by opposing candidates from Saudi Arabia and Iran. Diezani’s name, according to reports, has been in tow since December last year when she was elected the

Tax default: FIRS may shut Nicon Insurance, hotel

Contd on Page 2

>>Pg 3


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.