Swords GAZET TE FREE
Go the extra mile with the Fabia Greenline MOTORING: P18-19 RECYCLE THIS COPY. KEEP DUBLIN TIDY.
YOUR COMMUNITY • YOUR PAPER
Movember: Fins’ men raise over €6,500 Page 30
Dump plan scrapped Q MIMI MURRAY
Rugby: Swords U-12s line out at RDS Page 30
December 15, 2011
PLANS to develop a controversial landfill in north Dublin have been scrapped following a decision by the four Dublin local authorities this week. Fingal County Council said the decision not to press ahead with the development on the 190-hectare site, which was purchased for €30m, had been taken “due to the large costs that would be involved and the changed circumstances which have rendered the project
no longer viable”. The decision was welcomed this week by local politicians and residents who have held a long-running campaign against the proposed landfill. FCC county manager David O’Connor, said the project had “reached a crucial juncture and in light of changed circumstances, the decision to proceed would incur major costs of up to €45 million which in today’s market and in light of evolving national policy, could not now be justified”. Full Story on Page 7
Dressed to impress: Dream appeal LIANNE Kavanagh, Carla
Jackson and Rachael Wallace were having a Wright good night when they attended Casey’s Dream Appeal fundraiser for fiveyear-old Casey Fitzgerald at The Wright Venue in Swords.
An array of entertainment was enjoyed including, dancers, singers and a fashion show featuring the latest styles from some of Ireland’s leading labels.
Full Gallery on Page 8 Picture: Una Williams