PAGE 2
PAGE 4
PAGE 7
PAGE 6
Bishops’ letter to the youth
Benedict XVI in a synagogue
The day that changed SA forever
A lifetime of studying the heavens
www.scross.co.za
January 27 to February 2, 2010 Reg No. 1920/002058/06
No 4660
SOUTHERN AFRICA’S NATIONAL CATHOLIC WEEKLY SINCE 1920
Haiti: SA Catholics step up to help
Inside Installation plan explained The archdiocese of Cape Town has explained whyattendance at the installation of Archbishop-elect Stephen Brislin had to be limited.—Page 3
Agca wants to see JP2 tomb After his release from a Turkish jail, the man who shot Pope John Paul II in 1981 declared that he wants to visit the late pontiff’s tomb in St Peter’s basilica.—Page 4
STAFF REPORTER
W
Pope to discuss sex scandal Pope Benedict has convened Ireland’s bishops for a two-day meeting at the Vatican to discuss the ongoing fallout from the priestly sex abuse scandal in the country.—Page 5
The propaganda battle In his monthly reflection on the pope’s prayer intentions, Fr Chris Chatteris SJ looks at the secularists’ propaganda.—Page 9
We and the New Media In his weekly column, Chris Moerdyk outlines how The Southern Cross is making use of the New Media technology.—Page 12
What do you think? In their Letters to the Editor this week, readers discuss home-grown priests, homilies and editorials, Chris Moerdyk’s column, driving, birth control, the installation of an archbishop, the Mass, a priest’s anti-gay comments, and corruption.—Page 8
This week’s editorial: The 20 year transition
Cardinal sorry over trip to Medjugorje
C
R5,00 (incl VAT RSA)
ARDINAL Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, Austria, has faxed a letter of apology to Bishop Ratko Peric of Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina, over a December visit to the site of alleged Marian apparitions in Medjugorje. The visit had drawn the dismay of Bishop Peric, in whose diocese Medjugorje is located. The bishop is treating the reported Marian apparitions with outspoken suspicion. At the time, he said Cardinal Schönborn’s visit had aggravated problems in his diocese, the Catholic News Agency reported. He also expressed his shock and disappointment at the fact that Cardinal Schönborn had failed to observe the courtesy of bishops of informing the local ordinary of a diocese of their plans to visit. In a statement published on its website, the diocese of Mostar noted that Cardinal Schönborn faxed a handwritten letter of apology to Bishop Peric soon after a private audience with Pope Benedict in Rome in mid-January. In the letter, Cardinal Schönborn wrote: “I regret if you have the impression that my pilgrimage to Medjugorje did a disservice to peace. You can be sure that this was not my intention.” The Catholic Culture website said the timing of the apology, soon after a private audience with the pontiff, “lends weight” to a report by an Italian Catholic website that Pope Benedict was also unhappy about the publicity generated by the cardinal’s Medjugorje visit.—cathnews
A child at a makeshift camp in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, is pictured after a heavy aftershock hit the devastated capital that morning, creating panic among survivors of the earthquake that devastated the city the week before. South African Catholics have responded generously to an aid appeal issued by the Southern African bishops. PHOTO: JORGE SILVA, REUTERS,CNS
Matric: Catholic schools shine BY MICHAIL RASSOOL
M
ATRICULANTS at Catholic schools have continued to do well, achieving a 83,9% pass in last year’s examinations, 23,6% above the national pass rate, a leading monitor of Catholic schools has said. Anne Baker, deputy director of the Johannesburg-based Catholic Institute of Education (CIE) said 6 308 learners at Catholic schools wrote both the Independent Examination Board (IEB) and the national exams— the pass rate in the IEB exams 99,8% and the national exams 79,2%. Springfield Convent School in Cape Town was placed second in the Western Cape, with Megan Woodward holding sixth place in the province. Catherine Paverd from De La Salle Holy Cross College in Johannesburg achieved 11 distinctions and came first in the IEB exams. Sixteen other Catholic school learners achieved an outstanding or commendable pass, Ms Baker said. At Mount Edmund Christian Brothers College, Pretoria, head boy Lawrence de Jesus passed the national exam with nine distinctions. Ms Baker said learners from townships and rural Catholic high schools achieved well above the national average. Two learners from Tsogo High School in North West province, John Maubane and Lesego Phateng, achieved eight and seven distinctions respectively. The school achieved a total of 51 distinctions and a 99,2% pass. At St Matthew’s High in Soweto, 98 of the 101 learners had a university entrance pass (now called a Bachelor’s pass). Siyabonga Maseko achieved six distinctions, with 100% for mathematics and just missing a distinction for his 7th subject at 79%. Fellow pupil Maletsatsi Monanaetsi also achieved 100% for mathematics with six distinctions. Jared Devar and Carise Frank of Holy Family College, Durban, achieved nine and seven distinctions, respectively, and the school itself had 67 distinctions.
Tshepo Maubane and Lesego Phateng of Tsogo High School in North West, earned eight and seven distinctions respectively. Catherine Paverd (inset) of De La Salle Holy Cross College in Johannesburg achieved 11 distinctions Schools for learners with special needs did very well too, with two schools in KwaZuluNatal which wrote the normal state exams achieving very good results. Seven out of ten KwaThintwa School for the Deaf passed well, while the other three were eligible to write supplementary exams, and all passed English. St Martin de Porres school in Port Shepstone for learners with multiple disabilities, after teachers had put in many extra hours to prepare learners for the examination, achieved a 67% pass. The Dominican Grimley School for the Deaf in Cape Town, the only school of its kind in the Western Cape offering Grade 12 to learners, achieved a 100% Bachelor Pass rate. St Vincent’s School for the Deaf in Johannesburg also achieved a 100% pass. “It is important to remember the many teachers, from Grade R to Grade 12, who laid good foundations for learners that allowed them to pass,” Ms Baker said. “Catholic schools must not become complacent in their success, but strive consistently to offer the very best education to the children who come to their schools.”
ITHIN the first week after launching its appeal for donations to aid Caritas’ relief efforts in earthquakedevastated Port-au-Prince in Haiti, the Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference had raised almost R380 000, according to SACBC information officer Fr Chris Townsend. Caritas, the international umbrella body of Catholic charities, has been deeply involved in providing disaster relief in Portau-Prince. Fr Townsend stressed that the disaster relief efforts will be a long-term project as the city’s entire infrastructure, which already had been inadequate, was devastated. For example, eight of the city’s 11 hospitals had been seriously damaged or destroyed. In a letter of appeal for Haiti, Archbishop Jabulani Nxumalo of Bloemfontein wrote: “I visited Haiti for a month a number of years ago. Haiti is one of the poorest places—poorer than many of the countries in Africa—that I have visited. A very unstable government and a turbulent history have left the people of Haiti impoverished.” Experts believe that it will take several years to rebuild Port-au-Prince, and warned that in the aftermath of the disaster, there are serious public health concerns about water, food, sanitation and hygiene-related diseases. In South Africa, the National Church Leaders’ Consultation (NCLC), of which the Catholic Church is a member, issued a strong appeal for donations for Haiti, saying that “Haiti’s devastation will need the whole world to respond”. The group asked churches “to offer prayer for the situation” and to “consider a special collection for disaster relief in Haiti”. The NCLC also appealed to the international financial institutions “to cancel Haiti’s considerable international debt, allowing the country to make a new start”. It also called on President Jacob Zuma “to drive an African response at the upcoming African Union summit”. The South African Relief Team, with the Cancun Mexico Rescue Brigade, has been working closely with Caritas in Port-auPrince. The South African and Mexican teams were involved in the rescue of Enu Zizi, who had been buried under the ruins of the cathedral complex. However, the archdiocese’s vicar-general, Mgr Charles Benoit, was found dead, with his hands around a reliquary with a wafer inside. Caritas praised the South African Relief Team and doctors. “The doctors, the Mexican and South African Search and Rescue teams, and the nuns who are working with Caritas deserve recognition for their bravery and generosity,” said Fr Antonio Sandoval, regional coordinator of Latin America, who is in Port-au-Prince. “The generosity continues and they show us how life can overcome death.” Details of the bank account for the Caritas/SACBC appeal: Name: Project Caritas Bank: Nedbank Acc No: 1604750693 Bank Code: 160445 Swift code: NEDSZAJJ