PM#0382659799
TRC hearing comes to Thunder Bay PAGE 7 Vol. 39 No. 41
Moose hunting film reclaims silence PAGE 10
Aroland working to update band policies PAGE 3 9,300 copies distributed $1.50
December 6, 2012 Northern Ontario’s First Nation Voice since 1974
www.wawataynews.ca
Pikangikum left without power
Getting into the Christmas spirit
Generators breakdown due to overload Lenny Carpenter Wawatay News
Rick Garrick/Wawatay News
Webequie’s Andrew Suganaqueb displays a drum created by the Manitoulin Island craftsman Paul Francis during the 11th Annual Aboriginal Fine Arts and Crafts Christmas Gift Show in Thunder Bay from Dec. 4-6.
Pikangikum First Nation experienced a weekend with no power after its diesel generators were overwhelmed by energy demand as winter approaches. Though power was restored following the Nov. 23-25 weekend, only two of the four generators were operational, leaving about half the community of 2,400 without power at any given moment. The community resorted to a two-hour rotation between the east and west side of the community. “Most people depend on electricity for heating,” said Deputy Chief Jonas Strang. “It’s very inconvenient and Elders are complaining because of the lack of heat in their homes.” Strang said there is also concern over pipes potentially freezing and losing access to the wells where the community draws its drinking water. The First Nation declared a state of emergency on Nov. 26. Aboriginal Affairs and Development Canada (AANDC) responded by authorizing retroactive funding for new blankets and gas heaters while sending a technician to the remote community. Strang said they hope 2,000 pounds worth of equipment will be flown into
the community by Dec. 3 and that power will be completely restored by Dec. 5. But even once full power is restored, Strang said electricity will still be a problem. The community was already maxed to capacity prior to the breakdown. “We saw this becoming a problem once those other (generators) were not being repaired,” Strang said. The leadership had been requesting funds from AANDC to repair existing generators but to no avail. Strang said it was not until the First Nation declared an emergency that the federal government respond. The First Nation has also been trying to connect itself to the electric grid. Since 2006, the federal government committed $1.4 million to grid development work, including tendering contracts and implementation oversight, which is all to be undertaken by the First Nation. While the leadership claims the federal government ceased hydro discussions with the First Nation three years ago, AANDC insisted it is incumbent on the community to reach the next stage before discussions can resume. AANDC also said it committed $2.6 million for upgrades to Pikangikum’s diesel generators but said new housing subdivisions and other infrastructure projects have claimed much of that new capacity.
Urban Aboriginal advocate earns Queen’s medal Lenny Carpenter Wawatay News
Frances Wesley was humbled to learn that she would be a recipient of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee medal on Nov. 29. “I was pretty honoured to be recognized, to be in the ranks of the other people who received medals,” said the Constance Lake First Nation member who has always called Thunder Bay home. Wesley was one of 30 people in northwestern Ontario to receive the medal at a special gala in Thunder Bay. According to a bio released prior to the gala, Wesley “quietly, fiercely and persuasively represents the hopes and aspirations of Aboriginal people who live in an urban setting” and is “not afraid to confront challenges headon.” Wesley was instrumental in developing and implementing the Thunder Bay Urban Aboriginal Strategy (TBUAS) in 2004, which has the goal
“We’ve seen some amazing results since the (program’s) inception.” - Francis Wesley
of addressing urban Aboriginal family poverty. “I’ve worked under the strategy to develop Aboriginal circles on specific issues like housing, justice and access to social services,” said Wesley, who continues to be the TBUAS strategy planner and is also on the city’s racism committee. “And I think that would be one of my greatest accomplishments: to bring people together.” Wesley said one of TBUAS’ greatest successes has been the Biwaase’aa program, which employs five outreach workers who deliver in-school and after-school programming that focuses on proper nutrition and regular physical activity for Aboriginal children ages 7-13 at seven elementary schools. “We’ve seen some amazing results
Submitted photo
Francis Wesley, left, shows off the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee medal she received on Nov. 29 for her work on urban Aboriginal issues in Thunder Bay. since the inception of that project,” Wesley said. “We have children
who want to stay in school, children who have excelled in school. It’s all
because of the community working together.” Wesley said there are youth who went through the program that are now involved in youth projects within the community. TBUAS is looking to update its community plan after it hosts a forum on Dec. 12, where Wesley expects 200 people to take part, including leaders, community members and those who work with families who are having a difficult time in the community. “We’re going to talk about the plan and the next chapter of the (TBUAS) and the next direction on where we can go from here,” Wesley said. The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee medal honours significant contributions and achievements by 60,000 outstanding Canadians of all ages and from all walks of life who have built and continue to build a caring society and country through their service and achievements. The medal pays special tribute to Queen Elizabeth II’s 60 years on the throne.