The Boca Raton Tribune Your Closest Neighbor
East /West Boca Raton, FL - May 1 through 15,2010 •Year I •Number 004
Boca Hospital among top 5 percent in nation for women’s care, says study
By Dale King
BOCA RATON - An independent study of women’s care at nearly 5,000 hospitals found Boca Raton Community Hospital (BRCH) to be in the top 5 percent in the nation, the hospital has announced. Released by HealthGrades ®, the leading independent healthcare ratings organization, the HealthGrades Seventh Annual Women’s Health in American
Hospitals study analyzed nearly 7 million hospitalization records to identify top performing hospitals. Boca Raton Community Hospital is one of only 166 hospitals in the nation with patient outcomes for women that are in the top 5 percent, according to the study. As a result, Boca Raton Community Hospital received the 2010-2011 HealthGrades Women’s Health See Boca Hospital page 3
Boca Celebration
See page 6
Pine Crest student, 12, leads effort to build school in Kenyan village
Members of “Free the Children” from Pine Crest set up an information table during a recent event at the Boca Raton Marriott.
By Dale King and Julia Hebert
BOCA RATON - Can a group of Boca Raton students build a school in Africa? Sure can, says Ryan Engelhardt of West Boca Raton, a Pine Crest Middle School student
and president of “Free the Children,” a group intent on raising $8,500 for that purpose by the end of the school year. That will be enough to construct a “brick and mortar” teaching facility in Sikirar, Kenya, through the educational component of “Free the
Children.” Ryan, an articulate sixth grader, told the Boca Raton Tribune that she and fellow classmates helped to muster some 300 Pine Crest students to organize a chapter of “Free the Children.” “The kids have done so much,” Ryan said.
“We’ve raised $6,000 since February.” The Pine Crest “Free the Children” group is holding what Ryan calls “a huge fundraiser” Friday, April 30 from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Boca Raton Marriott ballroom on Military Trail see Pine page 05
Palm Beach County records 14th death Visiting Rotarians from South Korea from H1N1 Swine Flu virus The Palm Beach County Health Department has recorded its 14th death resulting from the H1N1 virus. Health Department spokesman Tim O’Connor said the victim was a 40-year-old male who had been hospitalized. He said the county “is continuing its surveillance and monitoring of the H1N1 swine flu vi-
rus. To date, the county has seen 94 persons hospitalized with the virus and 47 of those people were admitted to the ICU.” “We extend our sincere sympathies to the family of this gentleman,” said Dr. Alina Alonso, MD, Health Department director. “We want to remind residents that this pandemic continues to
claim lives and unfortunately, the H1N1 virus is still active.” She said the H1N1 infection is preventable by getting vaccinated “and it’s still not too late as we continue to offer the vaccine throughout our community. Experience with this virus shows this strain, like all influenza, is unpredictable. However, be-
cause H1N1 is a new virus, many people may have little or no immunity against it, and illness may be more severe as a result.” Dr. Alonso recommends the following: • People with respiratory illness should avoid spreading infections, including influenza, to others in the community: See H1N1 on page 2
see page 12