O HERALD O
Visit us at: www.oheraldo.in
The Voice of Goa — Since 1900 panjim, thursday, may 19, 2011 postal reg. no. Goa 101 priCE rs. 3.00
Sports: Armando Colaco to replace Houghton Pg 14
PC admits goof-up in ‘wanted list’ Accepting it as a “mistake” and taking “responsibility”, Home Minister P Chidambaram said the inclusion of terror accused Wazhul Kamar Khan in the list of most wanted fugitives given to Pakistan was a “genuine error”
by Mumbai Police and “oversight” by the Intelligence Bureau. Addressing a press conference a day after the goof up was exposed, he contended that it was not such a “monumental mistake” of “calamitous conse-
quence” and said he was prepared to face some “political exchanges” on the issue. “We take responsibility. It is a mistake. How this mistake has happened has been explained subsequently”, he said. --(PTI)
World: Russia warns West of Cold War over missile defence Pg 11
(air surcharge rs 2.00) pages 14 + 8
India: Minissha detained with Pg 7 Rs 50 lakh jewellery
South leaders for English, North want status quo HERALD REPORTER MARGAO, MAY 18
The battle for Medium of Instruction which has reached New Delhi has intensified with PWD Minister, Churchill Alemao along with other South Goa Congress leaders like Mauvin Godinho making a strong demand before the central leaders for including English as the medium of instruction. While a section of North Goa leaders like Sudin Dhavlikar and Ramakant Khalap are believed to have stressed on maintaining status quo, there was another section which favoured a subject-specific so-
lution to overcome the problem. Chief Minister, Digambar Kamat who returned to Goa, on Wednesday evening to be in time for the Margao Crafts Festival 2011, and is scheduled to leave for the National Capital early Thursday morning, said that the process of consultants to break the deadlock over the medium of instruction has got underway in the national Capital, even as the Force for Rights of Children’s Education (FORCE) has expressed hope of a positive outcome from the confabulations.
While declining to throw light on today’s meeting in Delhi, Kamat said consultancy has got underway with Central leaders and exuded confidence that the deliberations will bring out a solution to the MoI row. Speaking to Herald, Mauvin Godinho said that a decision on the MoI tangle which was earlier scheduled for May 20 will now be taken on May 22. Meanwhile, FORCE secretary Savio Lopes said they had an interaction with Congress leader Oscar Fernandes and Jagmeet Singh Brar, wherein they put (Continued on page 8)
Karnataka crisis blows over GABRIEL VAZ BANGALORE, MAY 18
After the bitter no-holds-barred tussle between Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa and Governor H R Bhardwaj in the last few days, it was time for bonhomie as the two gladiators came face to face with each other, shared dais at a public
Girls outshine boys at HSSC exams HERALD REPORTER PANJIM, MAY 18
Tanvi Chandrakant Gaonkar from Margao and Shravani Gurav from Curchorem topped the Science and Commerce streams scoring 555 marks out of 600, respectively at Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) examinations conducted by Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary School (GBSHSS), results for which were declared on Wednesday. The overall passing percentage at the examinations dropped marginally this year to 77.17 per cent from 82.52 per cent in 2010. The gender gap in the passing percentage narrowed this year, but still girls were ahead. 79.16 per cent girls passed overall while pass percentage among boys was 74.90 per cent. Related reports on pg 2 Compared to 2010, this year 344 students benefited from the sports merit marks, which includes 240 boys and 104 girls. Last year 108 students had got the benefit. This academic year results are a combination of grades and marks. The Board result sheet has just mentioned that students have ‘passed’ refraining from specifying any class secured. Talking to media persons after declaring the results, GBSHSS Chairman Mervin D’Souza said that the Board will investigate the reasons for drop in pass percentage. The examinations which were held between March 7 to 28 had 12698 candidates registered, of (Continued on page 8)
He's always on his toes to inaugurate roads, bridges, toilets, hospitals... now a day it's purely on first come first serve basis.
function and exchanged pleasantries to the amusement of their supporters. Even before having a formal one-to-one meeting at the Raj Bhavan since the five-day faceoff after Bhardwaj’s controvers i a l re p o r t t o t h e C e n t re recommending imposition of President’s rule in the State, the
Governor and Chief Minister came together at an official function of the State police. To the pleasant surprise of the senior officials and the utter dismay of ruling BJP men, who were hell-bent on seeking recall of the Governor, as well as Opposition Congress and JD(S), (Continued on page 8)
4 Navy men killed in Vizag mishap Four Navy personnel, including two officers, were killed when a docking gate collapsed at the Visakhapatnam Naval Dockyard here today, officials said. The docking gate, which was meant to take sea water into the dry dock collapsed during
routine operations at around 10 am today, resulting in the death of two officers and two sailors. The Indian Navy said the cause of the accident and other details are being ascertained and a Board of Inquiry has been ordered. -- (PTI)