February 13, 2020

Page 1

A&E’S GUIDE TO EVERY KIND OF VALENTINE’S DAY PAGE 4

LATE WEEK THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2020

MNDAILY.COM

SERVING THE UMN COMMUNITY SINCE 1900

HOUSING

CRIME

MPD warns of spike in auto thefts

Senior Garrett Williams poses for a portrait in the basement of his former residence in the Marcy Holmes neighborhood on Saturday, Feb. 8. The Miles Groupowned property suffered from hazardous heating equipment, a partially collapsed ceiling and an overall lack of maintenance. (Kamaan Richards / Minnesota Daily)

This year’s citywide auto theft count for the first three weeks of January the highest in five years. BY YVES DE JESUS yjesus@mndaily.com

As temperatures drop, Minneapolis officials attribute a five-year high in auto thefts to cars being left running. A citywide total of 262 stolen vehicles were reported between the first and third week of January, up almost 90% from the same time frame last year. Minneapolis Police Department 2nd Precinct neighborhoods including Marcy-Holmes, Como and Prospect Park saw the sharpest increase in auto thefts, rising more than 136 percent from last year. MPD officials released an advisory last month telling residents to avoid leaving their cars running while unattended. Of the 262 auto thefts at the beginning of the year, about 73% were the result of the owner leaving the vehicle running. “For most of these, they’re preventable,” said MPD spokesperson Garrett Parten. “I know it’s a pain in the neck to have to [start] your car every time you get back into it, but it’s also no fun to have your car stolen.” Since the advisory was released, this trend in the 2nd precinct has continued. Auto thefts are up 83% between Jan. 24 to Feb. 11 compared to that time frame last year, according to MPD data. Como resident Wendy Menken said she left her car unlocked by accident one night late last year. After she found her car had been rustled through, she said she is more careful about locking her car. “So what it told me is that there are constantly people checking on these cars on the street for an opportunity,” Menken said. Chris Lautenschlager, executive director of the Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association, said he has not seen the issue brought up by neighbors at community meetings. He said car thefts are often easily preventable. “The idea is that it happens anywhere in the bat of an eye,” Lautenschlager said. “Somebody sees a car that’s turned on, they’re just going to take it — not that they came into the neighborhood thinking, ‘I’m going to steal it’ … or whatever — they just see a car and go, ‘that’s it.’” Parten said intervention by residents can help prevent auto thefts. “If I’m seeing people pulling on car doors, I’m going to stop that person because that’s suspicious behavior — but that’s because I’m in the area, and I’m seeing it happen,” Parten said. “We can’t be everywhere all the time. So that’s where the public comes in. [Their] steps of preventative measures help us reduce crime in the long run.”

Students voice concerns with The Miles Group Complaints include security deposits, safety violations and squirrels. BY DYLAN MIETTINEN dmiettinen@mndaily.com

Former University of Minnesota student Caytlin Neuburger moved into a house with friends in the Como neighborhood in September of 2017. The house was one of many in the area managed by The Miles Group, a Minneapolis-based property management group. Problems were apparent as

soon as they moved in. The first day, roommate Mads Bartz noted a laundry list of alleged problems: garbage from previous tenants, rotted wood on decks and patios, holes in drywall and leaks fixed with duct tape. Since coming under the management of The Miles Group in 2002, the property Neuburger and Bartz rented has been cited for at least 94 code violations, according to data obtained from the City of Minneapolis. Seventeen of those, ranging from minor repairs to potential safety issues such as an illegal bedroom, were found in 2019 alone. The Miles Group manages approximately 40 properties around

the University and throughout the Twin Cities. They are one of several property management companies listed on the University’s Office of Off-Campus Living non-compliance list. Companies on the list have received at least three substantiated or unresolved complaints from tenants to Student Legal Services in the past year. “It is actually rare for a landlord to end up on the list,” Bill Dane, senior attorney for Student Legal Services, said in an email to the Minnesota Daily. “However, once a landlord gets on the list, it is not easy for it to get off.” Other companies that appear on the University’s non-compliance

u See MILES GROUP Page 3

CAMPUS

Faculty, staff voice concern with new security measures The changes went into effect in December, and impact several campus health sciences buildings. BY NIAMH COOMEY ncoomey@mndaily.com

While some feel safer, some staff and faculty have voiced discontent with the tightening of security in several University of Minnesota buildings. The security changes, which came after a recent increase of trespassing incidents, were implemented in December in some of the health sciences buildings on campus. In recent meetings, faculty and staff have raised concerns about the impact this heightened security presence could have on homeless individuals, marginalized communities and the identity of the University as a public, land-grant institution. The new security measures

Pedestrians make their way into Moos Tower on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019 As temperatures drop Moos Tower sees an increase in foot traffic. (Kamaan Richards / Minnesota Daily)

include checkpoints at main entrances at which students, staff, faculty and guests must display University identification or proof of their purpose in the buildings.

University Services Vice President Mike Berthelsen and Chief of Staff Paige Rohman have been visiting senate committees and other groups in recent

A&E

weeks to discuss the changes and gather feedback. At the Jan. 23 Professionals and Administrators Consultative Committee meeting, concerns were raised about the limitation of public access to the buildings, as well as security’s impact on marginalized communities. At this meeting, an email representing the views of a portion of P&A library staff was shared. “These policies, and those that create physical barriers to entry, or require interaction with gatekeeping personnel, create actual disparate impacts on people with disabilities, and many members of other marginalized groups,” the email read. “These cannot be considered unintended consequences; they are foreseen and foreseeable effects.” The new security is being temporarily provided by the contractor Securitas while the University works to hire more u See SECURIT Y Page 3

ACADEMICS

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, erotic art show pops up in Minneapolis

‘To be or not to be’: English faculty members debate Shakespeare class A proposal to change the major would still require students to take a Shakespeare course.

The two day pop-up show takes a regular gallery and turns it into an open conversation.

BY FARRAH MINA fmina@mndaily.com

BY ALEX STRANGMAN astrangman@mndaily.com

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and if you’re still not sure where to take bae, Otherworldly Arts has you covered with an event that’s the perfect mix of sex and art. This upcoming weekend, a diverse group of artists will share their own takes on art and eroticism at “Safeword: An Erotic Art Show.” The two-day pop-up event at the A-Mill underground museum will feature over 80 artists, with works ranging from photographs to wood-block prints. There will also be performance art on display, including an appearance from “The Feminist Strip Club,” a BDSM demonstration by

list include The Arrow Apartments, formerly known as Prime Place, and Millennium Management, which manages at least 11 properties. As of late January 2020, Millennium Management had one unresolved code violation, according to City of Minneapolis data. Properties owned by the Miles Group had at least 39. Neuburger and their roommates stayed in the house for two years, saying that although the house was run-down, it was less of a hassle than finding a new place. “We could try and find a better place, and spend all this time when we were in our junior year of

Angel Hawari evaluates the placement of a painting during setup for Safeword: An Erotic Art Show at the A-Mill Underground Museum on Saturday, Feb. 8. (Andy Kosier / Minnesota Daily)

Bondesque and a Shibari installation. As if that’s not enough, the art show will also have an erotic art market, phallic-themed chocolates and “pussycakes” cupcakes by FoxCakes (on Feb. 14 only) and “love potions” from Twin Spirits Distillery. Danielle Pebbles, creator of The Otherworldly Arts Collective, said she wants to create a safe space for artists to show off their erotic works. “I never realized there was such a strong artistic voice when it comes to sex, sexuality and eroti-

cism that just exists here in Minneapolis. There’s artists I’ve known for many years ... they’ve got hundreds and hundreds of amazing erotic art works that they’ve never had a place to go with,” she said. Pebbles said “Safeword” had the highest number of artists from out of state and outside of the country contact her about being in the show. There were over 200 submissions. However, putting together an erotic art space isn’t easy, and Pebbles said she encountered u See ART SHOW Page 3

University of Minnesota English department faculty members are in contention over requiring English majors to take a course on William Shakespeare, a provision most top universities have discarded. The English department undergraduate studies committee created a proposal that suggests adding an upper-level diversity requirement to better integrate “diverse authors and subjects into the curriculum.” However, it maintains the class “Introduction to Shakespeare,” the only singleauthor course required in the major. Some faculty members called into question whether the department should continue to require undergraduate students to take the Shakespeare course over concerns that the curriculum centers around a white male perspective. “You can’t be saying you’re for diversity, and then say, ‘By the

way, the most important writer is Shakespeare — a white man,’” said Qadri Ismail, a professor in the English Department. Ismail chaired the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion committee that wrote a report in the fall and made several recommendations to the department, including curricular reforms. However, there is strong opposition to removing the Shakespeare requirement, said Douglas Kearney, a professor in the English Department and the current EDI committee co-chair. Four of the top 52 universities and liberal arts colleges required their English majors to take a Shakespeare class, according a 2015 study by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni that was cited in the EDI report. Despite offering classes in areas such as African American, Native American and Asian American literature, the department does not require students to take them. “It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that a student could go through our program having never taken a class in literature u See SHAKESPEARE Page 3 VOLUME 120 ISSUE 38


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.