SCOOTERS ON SIDEWALKS PROMPT CAMPUS ACCESSIBILITY CONCERNS PAGE 2
EARLY WEEK MONDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2020
MNDAILY.COM
SERVING THE UMN COMMUNITY SINCE 1900
ACTIVISM
STATE GOVT.
Student govt. pushes medical amnesty bill for third session The bill would expand protections for victims and reporters of sexual assault across the state. BY MOHAMED IBRAHIM mibrahim@mndaily.com
Demonstrators stand the Minneapolis American Indian Center before the march. The event was held to honor missing and murdered Indigenous women, as well as to raise awareness of other issues in the community. (Jasmin Kemp / Minnesota Daily)
March to boost MMIW visibility draws hundreds The annual missing and murdered Indigenous women march is part of a national effort.
u See AMNEST Y Page 3
MENTAL HEALTH
President Gabel lays out plans to tackle mental health on campus
BY JASMINE SNOW jsnow@mndaily.com
Rita Janelle Papakee was last seen Jan. 16, 2015, but her family refused to let her name be forgotten at a march on Friday alongside hundreds of others. Janelle Papakee is only one of the thousands of Indigenous women who have gone missing or have been murdered. Marchers — including community organizers and Minnesota politicians — braved the cold to show their support for Janelle Papakee and other women like her. Events on Friday began at 11 a.m. inside the Minneapolis American Indian Center, where marchers and supporters packed themselves inside to hear from various speakers and performers. Rep. Mary Kunesh-Podein, DFL-New Brighton; North Dakota State Representative Ruth Buffalo; Gov. Tim Waltz; Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan and Sanders Institute founder Jane Sanders spoke at the event. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey also dedicated the day to the missing and murdered Indigenous women (MMIW) cause. “We have an epidemic of missing/murdered Indigenous women
After years of trying to push a medical amnesty bill through the Legislature, the Minnesota Student Association is hoping the third time’s the charm. The student organization is looking to expand protections from drug or underage alcohol consumption charges to include victims and reporters of sexual assault. Though the bill, introduced in the House on Tuesday, has not received a hearing in either chamber since its first session in 2018, MSA and legislators hope committee leadership will help move the bill forward this session. “I think it’s really important that we protect the victims,” said public safety committee Vice Chair Rep. Heather Edelson, DFL-Edina, the bill’s chief author. “Sometimes penalties and punishment will stop people from report-
ing, and we would rather report and have accurate numbers and make sure that we’re catching bad actors.” Current Minnesota statute enacted in 2013 provides immunity from prosecution for underage drinking and minor drug offenses to individuals who call 911 to report a medical emergency or safety concern. It was later expanded to include reporters of drug-related overdoses. While the medical amnesty bill failed to receive a hearing the last two sessions, MSA Government and Legislative Affairs State Coordinator Sam Parmekar said having the vice chair of the committee author the bill and bipartisan support improves its chances. Committee vice chairs are able to set bill hearings. Sen. Kari Dziedzic, DFL-Minneapolis, author of the Senate companion bill, said last year’s focus on the state budget caused the bill to take a back seat. But the prevalence of sexual assault and recent media coverage has helped propel the conversation about the
Still in its infancy, the initiative is searching for areas in which the U can improve its care. BY HANA IKRAMUDDIN hikramuddin@mndaily.com
Above, attendee Kennedy German observes the proceedings at the Minneapolis American Indian Center on Friday, Feb. 14. Below, commemorative signs rest against the stage. (Jasmin Kemp / Minnesota Daily)
u See MARCH Page 4
CRIME
At last week’s University of Minnesota Board of Regents meeting, President Joan Gabel took time to discuss her ongoing initiative to address student mental health. Still in its early stages, the initiative aims to review and highlight the University’s current mental health resources for students and establish where improvement can be made. Gabel will continue to review the resources over the next few months and will present her findings at a later regents meeting. The discussion also covered current mental health statistics on the University’s system campuses. This data will be used to inform future initiatives and the next steps forward. According to the 2018 College Health Student Survey, each of the University system campuses has seen an uptick in the amount of mental illness diagnoses, with depression and anxiety being the
main perpetrators. Cost is still a major barrier to those seeking support. “Student mental health is a critical topic,” Gabel said at the meeting. “This attribute affects our students’ ability to progress, to achieve and, in the worst case, is a question of life or death.” However, some of the stigma around mental illnesses has gone down, said Carl Anderson, the assistant vice provost and director of Boynton Health, at the meeting. With a decrease in stigma, access to treatment has improved, he said. Anderson also noted the increasing demand for student mental health services, particularly on the Crookston campus. “Several years ago, I used to say that we are seeing unprecedented increases in mental health patient volumes. Now I have to say the annual increases have set a precedent,” Anderson said at the meeting. He emphasized that similar concerns are being seen throughout the country. The scan also intended to provide insight into the mental health resources on campus that are currently offered. u See MENTAL HEALTH Page 3
BUSINESS
Death reported City council vote stalls development at Dinkytown McDonald’s site in Como on Sat. The city council laid out Plans submitted to the city in December originally included a to-
A man in his 30s died due to injuries received near Van Cleve Park. BY J.D. DUGGAN jduggan@mndaily.com
A suspected murder in the Southeast Como neighborhood is under investigation. Officers from the Minneapolis Police Department were greeted by a “chaotic scene” Saturday at 6:05 a.m. on the 900 block of 15th Avenue Southeast, near Van Cleve Park, according to an MPD report. A white male in his 30’s was found in an apartment with a wound of unknown origins. He died later at Hennepin County Medical Center. Zara Jo Case, 35, was involved in the incident and was taken to a detox center. She was later booked into Hennepin County Adult Detention on Probable Cause Murder. Police have not yet released the victim’s identity.
three options for the proposed development moving forward.
BY CAITLIN ANDERSON canderson@mndaily.com With a Minneapolis City Council vote on Friday, plans for largescale development at the site of Dinkytown McDonald’s have effectively been stalled. The CA Ventures proposed development, in partnership with ESG Architecture and Design, hit a snag late last week when the city council upheld an earlier ruling to deny developer requests to get around city planning guidelines. The path forward remains unclear for the development team, which has limited options for its next steps, city staff said. “We’ve carried through on our promises here in Minneapolis,” said Ryan Sadowy, senior director for development at CA Ventures, at a public hearing on Feb. 6. “We’re very sincere about this project …
Courtesy of the City of Minneapolis
and the positive impacts it can have across the platform.” The project with up to 25 stories, also proposed at the site of Dinkytown Wine and Spirits and other businesses, was first announced to the community last summer. After some concerns about its scale, the development team has met with community members and city
staff to rework the plan, including a reduction in the proposed building’s height down to 10 stories. “I think people generally want something that’s more consistent with what they’ve had in their plans and maybe something that isn’t quite so big or dense right in that block,” said Ward 2 City Council member Cam Gordon.
tal of 329 units with 885 bedrooms, 23,000 square feet of commercial space at a reduced rate, public space and enhanced bus stops. If the project moves forward, McDonald’s would also return to the first floor of the building, according to city documents. After hearing the proposal in December, the city’s planning commission denied its aspects relating to proposed density, while others were approved. The development sought an appeal to the denials, citing sufficient community benefit. Another appeal was also brought forward by Marcy-Holmes resident Cordelia Pierson for the approval of the development height and lack of minimum required parking spaces. “We set boundaries, and in this day and age, boundaries are extremely important,” Pierson said at the Feb. 6 hearing. “The signal you will send is that we will require u See DEVELOPMENT Page 3 VOLUME 120 ISSUE 39