Bei Men’s development, Melaka’s future
History Bei Men, Taipei Timeline of Beimen 1875 Qing dynasty established Taipeh Prefecture in 1875, Prefect Chen ordered the foundation of a new prefectural capital, with enclosing wall in 1879. However the soil proved too soft to support so heavy a structure, and the project was halted. 1882 Governor of Fujian Cen and Taiwan magistrate Liu undertook successive surveys to determine the proper location of the wall's foundations. Craftsmen were recruited for the construction in 1882. 1884 Beimen was established in 1884 in Taipei. 1895 In the first years of the Japanese colonial rule, the Beimen was destroyed as part of the city's restructuring plan. 1945 After Taiwan's handover in 1945, the East, South, and Auxiliary South Gates were rebuilt, but the original appearances were not maintained. The North Gate (Beimen) alone retains its original appearance.