C M Y K
www.morungexpress.com
The Morung Express
Dimapur VOL. IX ISSUE 355
“
www.morungexpress.com
Mika to do a song with Rakhi Sawant soon
[ PAGE 08]
reflections
By Sandemo Ngullie
Sunday, December 28, 2014 12 pages Rs. 4
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading PDP seek BJP’s assurance over Article 370, AFSPA
RNPC declare December 27 as Rengma Black Day [ PAGE 2]
Blood-based therapy an answer to Ebola?
”
– Lao Tzu
India fights back in Melbourne test
[ PAGE 9]
[ PAGE 11]
[ PAGE 12]
27, 2013: AssAm: indian security December KA waits for justice forces intensify operations Morung Express News Diphu | December 27
Army chief reviews Assam’s volatile situation Merry businessmas!!
The Morung Express POLL QUESTION
Vote on www.morungexpress.com SMS your anSwer to 9862574165 Are Nagas losing the spirit of Christmas to commercialization? Yes
No
Others
4 injured in grenade explosion in Manipur imPhaL, December 27 (Pti): Four persons were injured when a grenade exploded at a shop in Uripok area on the outskirts of Imphal town, police said on Saturday. Suspected militants lobbed the grenade at the shop late last night injuring the four, including the shop owner identified as Subhas Singh, the police said. The four persons were immediately rushed to Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital. The motive behind the attack was not known but monetary demand from the shop owners apparently led to the incident.
Guwahati, December 27 (iaNS): Indian Army chief Gen. Dalbir Singh Saturday reviewed the security situation in Assam in the aftermath of the gory killings by Bodo militants, as the security forces intensified operations along the international border with Bhutan. At least 73 tribals were massacred in Assam earlier this week by militants of a hardline faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland. Retaliatory activities and agitations have been taking place in different areas after the massacre. The army chief said he would continue to maintain a close watch on the region. An army spokesman said Gen. Dalbir Singh headed to the army base in Rangia straight from the Guwahati airport and reviewed the security situation with top commanders. He was given an overview of the current status of operations, including the various measures taken to improve the larger security milieu in Assam. The general reviewed the deployment of 66 army columns in the disturbed areas, after the violence unleashed by Bodo militants left 73 people dead and rendered over 70,000 homeless in the four districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Sonitpur and Udalguri. "He was briefed on the proactive actions undertaken by the army along with different agencies to intensify the pressure against the militant outfits," a defence spokesperson said in a statement here. "The general also took note of the roadmap being planned by the army jointly with police and directed his troops to extend all possible support to the state administration in bringing back normalcy, while at the same time carrying out relentless operations against the perpetrators of terror," it said. The army has already intensified operations along the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh inter-state border and along the international border with Bhutan in the aftermath of the massacre by the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB). The central government has already sent 50 companies of additional forces including those from the Sashastra Seema Bal, Indo-Tibetan Border Police, Central Reserve Police Force and Border Security Force to control the situa-
Luky Moni Orang, 22, a tribal settler, holds her three-day old baby as she takes refuge in a local church after her village was attacked by an indigenous separatist group, in Shamukjuli village in Sonitpur district of Assam on December 25. Police says the death toll from rebel violence has risen to over 70 with the recovery of more bodies from abandoned villages. (AP Photo)
tion. Although there has been no fresh incident of violence since Tuesday's killings, the exodus of people continued in the districts. Assam Police sources said the Bhutan border has been sealed and a special operation might be launched soon against militants from the northeast hiding there. The State Disaster Management Authority said over 70,000 people have taken shelter in 77 relief camps in the affected districts. Centre asks NIA to probe violence The central government Saturday directed the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to probe the recent violence in Assam that claimed 73 lives. "The ministry of home affairs today (Saturday) directed the National Investigation Agency to take up the investigation of four cases registered by Assam Police relating to the recent attacks by suspected NDFB(S) group in the two districts of Sonitpur and Kokrajhar in which a large number of people were killed," an official statement said. The Assam government had recommended that the investigation of these cases should be handedovertotheNIA."Consideringthegravityof the offences and relevant factors," the central government agreed to get these probed by the NIA.
Centre to assist Nagaland in expanding road network
Young girls checking out items being sold at ‘Party in the Street - Duncan Winter Festival’ at Duncan Bosti, Dimapur on December 27. (Morung Photo) Related story on page 5
One body recovered
C M Y K
DimaPur, December 27 (mexN): The Dimapur police stated today that one dead body was recovered. On December 27, at around 11:00am, the G.B. of Westyard Colony, Nading Zeliang, stated that one non local person, suspected to be a beggar, was found lying in Rail Bazar, Dimapur in a serious condition. A press release from the Dimapur police PRO informed that they took the patient to District Hospital Dimapur for medical aid but he succumbed to his illness while undergoing medical treatment. On examining the body, no foul play was detected. He is suspected to have died due to illness/freezing or starvation. The dead body is kept at Dimapur Civil Hospital morgue for identification.
C M Y K
New DeLhi, December 27 (Pti): The central government will provide every help to expand road network in Nagaland, according to the Union Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh. Singh said this while responding to a demand for assistance in construction of Phase-II road from Chuchuyimlang to Yali via Salulemang, Longra Yangpi at an estimated cost of Rs 38 crore. The demand was placed before him by the Nagaland Minister for National Highways and Mechanical Engineering, Nuklutoshi here. The Union Minister said he is aware that the road from Chuchuyimlang to Yali via Salulemang, Longra Yangpi connects three districts of Nagaland -- Longland, Mon and Tuensang. The importance of this road can, therefore, by no means be underestimated.
Construction of new roads and extension of the road network is a boon for the people of remote far flung areas particularly in a state like Nagaland where other means of travel like railway and air are not adequately available. In reference to setting up of a modern workshop-cum -training institute at Dimapur in order to train the unemployed youth with vocational skills, Singh said this demand will also be sympathetically considered. He said Prime Minister Narendra Modi is particularly concerned about improving employment avenues for the youth living in peripheral and insurgency hit states of North East. Singh also referred to rain water harvesting and recharging of the ground water for assuring round the year availability of water in addition to ecological and environmental sustenance.
Police arrest one for bombing DimaPur, December 27 (mexN): The Dimapur police have arrested one person today with regard to the bombing of a gas agency at Darogapathar on December 22 at around 10:00pm. Information received by the Dimapur police suggested that “unknown persons came in a car and lobbed a bomb at the go-down of KT Gas Agency.” After initial investigation, stated the Dimapur police PRO in a press release today, one prime accused namely Nagaho Ayemi (34), a cadre of NSCN (K) in the rank of Capt. from Lhothavi vil-
lage, Dhansiripar, presently residing in Thilixu village, Block-4 near Sumi Baptist Church, Dimapur was arrested and remanded to police custody. A case has been registered at Dimapur East Police Station for further investigation. Crude bomb recovered The Dimapur police have recovered one crude bomb from a motorcycle on the night of December 26. The said motorcycle was reported to have met with an accident at Naharbari junction here on December 26 night. While the police personnel on
duty were examining the place, they recovered one crude bomb in the motorcycle. Accordingly, rider of the motorcycle, Obeto (26), a cadre of GPRN/ NSCN in the rank of 2nd Lieut. from Suruni village, Suruhoto, Zunheboto, presently residing in Padampukhuri village, Dimapur, was arrested and taken into custody. On conducting house search of the arrestee, stated the Dimapur police, another crude bomb was recovered. Based on the findings, a case has been registered and investigation taken up.
Ferrying of essential goods affected Ferrying of essential goods from different parts of India to the northeastern region has been affected due to the violence in Assam, officials said here Saturday. "Due to the violence in Assam, truck drivers out of fear are averse to ply goods laden vehicles through Assam from West Bengal and other parts of the country. Road blockades in north Bengal also worsen the situation," a Tripura government official said. "Hundreds of vehicles, mostly goods laden trucks, remained stranded as adivasis (tribals) Friday and Saturday blocked roads in different areas of Malda district in protest against the massacre of adivasis (by Bodo militants in Assam)." "We expect that the situation would improve soon. The state government's transport department officials are in touch with the authorities of other northeastern states," the official said. The goods laden trucks stranded in West Bengal are mostly bound for Tripura, Mizoram, southern Assam and parts of Manipur. The eight northeastern are largely dependent on Punjab, Haryana and other bigger states for food grains and other essential commodities.
The Rengma Naga Students’ Union (RNSU) organised a candle-light vigil at 5:00pm here on December 27 in memory of the victims and their families affected during clashes between Karbi and Rengma people in Karbi Anglong, Assam, on December 27, 2013. The organisations that participated in the event were Karbi Students’ Association (Mirjeng Kro), KSA (Bidya Teron), KSA (Binod Rongphar), KSA (Liachen Engleng), Hills Youth Democratic Front (HYDF), Karbi Anglong Bhojpuri Students Association, All Assam Bengali Youth Student Federation, Gorkha Students, Police-Public Coordination Committee, Diphu, United Movement for Autonomous State, and All India Karbi National Assembly. “We remember the untoward incident that took place between the Karbi and Rengma people last year. We pray for the victim’s families and that, as we light this candle, may such incidents never occur again,” said Mirjeng Kro while speaking on the occasion, also expressing “deepest sympathies” for the victims in Sonitpur district and BTAD areas of Assam. The laxity of the Government of Assam (GoA) towards such recurring incidents of violence was pointed out. “I take this opportunity to express dissatisfaction with the GoA. No inquiry has been done yet,” stated Longkiri Timung, ex president of the HYDF, Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao. “At the same time, we have seen how the Government of Nagaland took responsibilities to nab culprits of the Pachaspura incident. Why does the GoA neglect the tribal? We request the GoA to initi-
ate inquiry of the culprits behind the 2013 Karbi-Rengma clash,” he asserted. As shops, offices and houses of Diphu Town lit up with candles donated by shops, in memory of the victims, the message of peace and reconciliation was further reiterated. “Let these candles be a sign of renewed hope, a fresh beginning for a prosperous Karbi Anglong. We light them in memory of the souls of the victims, their families and the people who had to be in relief camps for four months,” said Phenpiga Rengma, president, RNSU, reminiscing how babies were born in jungles, Christmas and New Year having disappeared in the din of bullets and daos in 2013. “We also remember every individual, organisation and bureaucrat who helped both the suffering tribes in times of distress and grief. Let this lighting of candles be a covenant between man and god in not repeating such inhuman acts of cowardice. Justice shall prevail,” he noted. Expressing “deepest condolences and tribute” to the victims of the recent violence in Sonitpur district and BTAD, Rengma said, “Peace and harmony needs to be restored at any cost and the GoA and GoI should take immediate steps in nabbing the culprits so no further clashes occur. Let the year 2014 end with reconciliation, peace and harmony, and 2015 start with love and hope.” Earlier, a small gathering took place at the graveyard, Diphu Lorulangso Colony, where Karbi and Rengma women lit candles on the graves of the deceased (from last year’s incident), also paying respect to the victims of the recent clashes in Assam. Rev. Athang Seb read from the scripture and gave a peace message.
Fatalities mar Christmas 3 killed, 5 injured as car runs into carol procession Morung Express News Dimapur | December 27
Christmas Eve ended in tragedy as a car hit a group of people on a carol procession on December 24. The incident, which occurred around 3:30 pm near the junction leading to Signal Basti Evening Bazar, claimed three lives and wounded five others. The car, a Toyota Etios Liva (NL-07/C 6288), after slamming into the pedestrians, tried to escape towards West Yard colony before it was intercepted by the public. The driver, identified as one Ravi Meeng, was reportedly driving the car in an inebriated state. One of his minor children was also in the car at the time. According to a press release from the Additional Superintendent of Police, Dimapur, Meeng admitted to hitting the pedestrians. Meeng, who resides in Thilixu village, had taken out his family for treatment. After dropping his wife and one of his two children at a pharmacy at the Dhobinalla junction, Meeng headed towards Living Stone School with the other child and picked up a friend, the release said. They then headed back towards town, stopping at a “hotel” along the way to consume liquor. The friend, identified as one Santosh Das, took the driver’s seat, subsequently hitting a motor-cycle, the release stated. After the mishap, Das got off and Meeng drove on towards town. The release stated that before hitting the carol procession, the car met with a mishap hitting an autorickshaw before slamming into a culvert. He got the car back on the road only to miss hitting another autorickshaw. In the ma-
Three teenagers drown in frozen lake Morung Express News Kohima | December 27
Three teenagers from Khonoma village reportedly drowned at Dzükou Sanctuary Fall on December 26 around 10:30am during an outing with friends. The deceased are Rokosietso Mor (19), Ketourovino Mor (14) and Mhiesikhono Viyie (14). Two of the deceased are said to be siblings. Their bodies are yet to be recovered. Sources revealed that 12 friends had gone for an outing at the Dzükou Sanctuary Falls. When too many of them stood on the ice to take pictures, thin ice on some spots gave way and six of them fell inside the lake. While two of them could somehow manage to come out, one of them was pulled out by friends. Three of the others drowned after much struggle. A mesnoeuvre to avoid it, the car ended up ramming into the carol procession on the other side of the road, the release said. One of the pedestrians died on the spot, while two others succumbed to injury in hospital. The condition of the five others, who were injured was said to be stable. The deceased were identified as Purtula (62), Zungalemla (75) and T. Noklen Longkumer (73). The injured were indentified Y. Alima, Imnasenla, Imsurenla, Rongsenlemla and Lanukumla. All the victims were residents of Kevijau colony. ASTD says matter ‘amicably settled’ The Ao Union Dimapur (ASTD) stated on December 27 that the matter has been “amicably settled.” ASTD president, Supu Jamir stated that the bereaved families handed over the re-
sage could be sent to the village only by afternoon, after which the community immediately began rescue efforts. The lake measures 80x60 feet, with a depth of 35 feet. The bodies have not yet been retrieved due to freezing temperatures on December 26 and 27, and the lack of gear. Sources informed that the Nagaland State Disaster Management Authority immediately coordinated efforts to bring in professional scuba divers from Guwahati to rescue the children, while some other professionals were brought in from Wokha to support the operations. However, the Guwahati team could reach only tonight, and efforts can be renewed only on the morning of December 28. Rescue operations were carried out with support from various organisations and neighbouring villages. sponsibility of handling the case to the ASTD subsequent to which a meeting was held between the owner of the vehicle, Parliamentary Secretary Vikheho Y. Swu and the ASTD. At the meeting, the two parties decided to amicably settle the matter “in the spirit of forgive and forget.” Stating that Swu was accompanied by his colleagues, Jamir added that the two parties jointly agreed on three resolutions. “No one should bail out Ravi Meeng (the driver). Meeng’s driving licence should be instantly cancelled. As and when Meeng is released from jail or on completion of prison sentence, on the day itself, Meeng should leave Nagaland.” “It is also resolved that the owner of the vehicle will instantly intimate the ASTD as and when Meeng is released from jail,” said Jamir.
C M Y K